amuck-landowner

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If the problem was really they ran out of money (someone correct me if I'm reading that wrong), then this should be a wake up call to all low end providers.
I gotta admit, its been a tough year.

75511_649180871800075_1219244543_n.jpg

mightyschwartz

If the problem was really they ran out of money (someone correct me if I'm reading that wrong), then this should be a wake up call to all low end providers.
You still know if you will be out of money more than an hour before... the fact that people are still having to speculate why these a-holes skipped town an hour before getting everything ruined is inexcusable and so fkn wrong.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'll add a proper reply instead of being stupidly cocky :p

The very statement you've said gets said every time someone implodes and disappears. It was said about hostrail, rackvm, uptimevps, clubuptime, etc. Any time you see people pushing out unrealistic offers, especially on rented equipment? It's a ticket to the grave.

Some providers try to offset this by selling more and more... and more resources for more or less the same price just to keep people signing up. It turns into a vicious cycle.

Personally I feel that most of the providers out there are a disaster or two away from slamming into the fan. Bandwidth overages, a sale that didn't take off as expected, the guy 2U's down from you charging 1/10th what you do for the same thing, etc.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
You still know if you will be out of money more than an hour before... the fact that people are still having to speculate why these a-holes skipped town an hour before getting everything ruined is inexcusable and so fkn wrong.
No one knows who's telling the truth. No one knows if their DC's pulled the plug or if they did.

Francisco

mightyschwartz

No one knows who's telling the truth. No one knows if their DC's pulled the plug or if they did.

Francisco
I concur with that. My point is that the DCs didn't just pull it without telling them what was going to happen. The idea that they only had the notice of 1 hour is not realistic. They had SOME IDEA of what was going on and could have told their customers.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I concur with that. My point is that the DCs didn't just pull it without telling them what was going to happen. The idea that they only had the notice of 1 hour is not realistic. They had SOME IDEA of what was going on and could have told their customers.
It's unlikely that CC was at 'suspend' territory with their account and they shut down on their own.

I still don't know why they didn't try to sell but who knows.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Surely, they appeared to be fashionably tardy on their payments to their DC.  Think 3+ months.  Which is funny, because they weren't with that company more than maybe 6 months.  I think Biloh commented to this effect on LET.

I *never* will understand why one little datacenter/colo/dedicated server operation is just happy letting low end companies get into big and multi month arrears.   I swear it's the bait to accumulate customers and be first in line creditor.

I've never had an invoice go past maybe 3 weeks overdue.  Always some shutdown/off ultimatum by that point.  Heck was even like that when I was writing a $40k~ a month check to a datacenter.

Last edited by a moderator:

mightyschwartz

Surely, they appeared to be fashionably tardy on their payments to their DC.  Think 3+ months.  Which is funny, because they weren't with that company more than maybe 6 months.  I think Biloh commented to this effect on LET.

I *never* will understand why one little datacenter/colo/dedicated server operation is just happy letting low end companies get into big and multi month arrears.   I swear it's the bait to accumulate customers and be first in line creditor.

I've never had an invoice go past maybe 3 weeks overdue.  Always some shutdown/off ultimatum by that point.  Heck was even like that when I was writing a $40k~ a month check to a datacenter.
Exactly... but they never said, "We're cutting you off in ONE HOUR!" You knew that threat was looming long before that point and you knew whether or not you had the money to pay it. If not, you probably would've done the decent thing and told your customers before telling your DC that you were going tits up and to just flip the switch.

The DC is totally within their right to disconnect their shit... it's on them to be forthcoming and not hide behind some shit form letter telling people it's their fault that they didn't see this coming and have that day's backup downloaded already and then tell them a refund is not likely. Why not e-mail all the people you fucked over and personally apologize instead of being a douche?

javaj

The very statement you've said gets said every time someone implodes and disappears. It was said about hostrail, rackvm, uptimevps, clubuptime, etc. Any time you see people pushing out unrealistic offers, especially on rented equipment? It's a ticket to the grave.

Some providers try to offset this by selling more and more... and more resources for more or less the same price just to keep people signing up. It turns into a vicious cycle.

Basically its a kind of a ponzi scheme, but instead of securities there doing it with hosting, if you sign up for a plan when the host starts up you can probably have a really good run, but if your one of the poor suckers who signed up a couple weeks to even hours before the eminent collapse your screwed,

I don't know that most budget hosts who end up in this position have those intentions, I'm sure most of them don't because there really cant be any profit just trying to keep the lights on. But in essence its basically no different than a ponzi scheme, except in a Securities Ponzi scheme, the scam artist actually walks away with a good amount of money. I Cant see that happening with hosts who just keep digging a bigger hole.

mightyschwartz

Basically its a kind of a ponzi scheme, but instead of securities there doing it with hosting, if you sign up for a plan when the host starts up you can probably have a really good run, but if your one of the poor suckers who signed up a couple weeks to even hours before the eminent collapse your screwed,

I don't know that most budget hosts who end up in this position have those intentions, I'm sure most of them don't because there really cant be any profit just trying to keep the lights on. But in essence its basically no different than a ponzi scheme, except in a Securities Ponzi scheme, the scam artist actually walks away with a good amount of money. I Cant see that happening with hosts who just keep digging a bigger hole.
Indeed. I had been with them for several months and actually inquired about paying for a year up front just to secure my hosting with a little bit of a discount... stupid me.

concerto49

Verified Provider

Most calculate the margins too thin. They get a server and thibk that's the only cost, no buffers. What if you use over you bandwidth? What if you have no customers? What if many things aren't factored in.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Most calculate the margins too thin. They get a server and thibk that's the only cost, no buffers. What if you use over you bandwidth? What if you have no customers? What if many things aren't factored in.
Most assume that it's like the old days:

- Make a crappy website or use a template

- put together some silly cheap offer

- fill a node right away

LE simply doesn't carry that kind of swing anymore and hasn't since LEA was there. Argue the point all you want but there is public records showing just how many sales front page LE posts (especially those that get left at the very top for long runs) generates.

Francisco

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
I'm not sure my post was properly understood, mostly because I don't understand where you guys who responded to it are coming from. Oh well.

peterw

Most assume that it's like the old days:

- Make a crappy website or use a template

- put together some silly cheap offer

- fill a node right away
This can only work if you do not have many competitors in the same location. What should a newcomer offer in L.A. which the allready settled providers there are not able to offer? The newcomer can only adjust the price and will fail shortly after.

adamlake

Since Daddycheese changed it's name and website etc. to Shard Gaming, it's been weird. I didn't see the point of them changing their name, but it didn't affect much, apart from a more user-friendly website. This didn't affect much, it didn't matter to any of the customers really. I carried on playing on my server with very little lag and enough players on. Then on October 29th (I think, correct me if i'm wrong) all customers received an email saying something about a password reset. I didn't check my emails until a week after that, and in a week, I get about 50 emails. So I didn't actually see this email.

I don't know when it was, but I imagine you already know this information. At whatever time on whatever date, I tried going onto my control panel on shardgaming.com. Instead of coming up with the usual displayed webpage, it showed the message which said email "some email address". I did, and he didn't reply and he still hasn't. Surprise surprise. I just tried to go on the shard gaming website again, and the websites down, obviously. But I did find something. Since I use Chrome, it allowed me to access the most recently available cached version of the website, which was the 3rd of December. It was the same old message. So we now know that the last time their website was up was the 3rd. 

I guess they knew about this before they set the website to this, so they were meant to let their customers know to take backup EARLIER. They left it very late before telling us. When I saw the message, I opened up the FileZilla client (FTP) and tried logging in. I know all the correct details, but there was two possibilities at this point - 

I couldn't log in because of the password reset thing that I didn't do

Or it was just too late to take any backup; they didn't warn us quick enough. 

I have read through all 5 pages of this thread, and most people seem to think that it wasn't Shard Gaming, but it was their providers (Since I am sure that Shard Gaming were renting). That's all I know so far, and I assume that some information will be leaked soon.

amuck-landowner