amuck-landowner

Shaw Communications (Canada) buys Viawest (US Datacenters)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Shaw Communications is buying ViaWest, a US datacenter owner for $1.2 billion.

Viawest has 27 datacenters in the United States.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's 1.2B now? I thought it was 820M....

This is a pretty interesting move. I know shaw had their big-o-pipe brand for a while but that became

Shaw Business Solutions.

I just don't see how a ton of different datacenters makes sense.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Seems like they are competing with Cogeco who did the Peer1 deal... To me at least it seems that way.

It's mountain top building / consolidation.  Mergers and acquisitions continue to be a relatively strong thing in this extended blah economy in the US.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Seems like they are competing with Cogeco who did the Peer1 deal... To me at least it seems that way.

It's mountain top building / consolidation.  Mergers and acquisitions continue to be a relatively strong thing in this extended blah economy in the US.
Maybe.

It's just an odd purchase to me since Shaw doesn't really offer datacenter space.

Hell, the only datacenters I know of that have/had actual SBS is Rackforce I think (a DC in Kelowna).

Everyone else is just peering POPs with them.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe.

It's just an odd purchase to me since Shaw doesn't really offer datacenter space.
Well now they per se do.

I am vaguely familiar with ViaWest.  Never toured their datacenters.   Any else here want to comment on their buildouts?  Are they actually the DC owner or sub-leasee with build out in other folks DC's?

$1.2 billion sounds like a lot of cash, but 27 datacenters seems oddly high.  Two could work just fine I suppose.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Well now they per se do.

I am vaguely familiar with ViaWest.  Never toured their datacenters.   Any else here want to comment on their buildouts?  Are they actually the DC owner or sub-leasee with build out in other folks DC's?

$1.2 billion sounds like a lot of cash, but 27 datacenters seems oddly high.  Two could work just fine I suppose.
The ViaWest location in Portland, OR is pretty nice. Almost put some equipment there.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Well now they per se do.

Yeah they own a lot of the DCs. At least the suites. We're with them in Dallas for some of our servers. Pretty nice. Nothing's changed so far.

amuck-landowner