amuck-landowner

Should vpsBoard have a homepage featuring the latest offers, reviews, and tutorials?

NickM

Verified Provider
It's a pretty self-explanatory question, really.  One of the things that always bothered me about LEB/T was that the two sites were designed to serve the same group of people, but were completely separate.  Adding a homepage would give vpsBoard a bit more of an incentive for hosts to post offers, since they'd be right on the front page instead of buried in a subforum.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I think offers should go in the offer forum area on here.

That said, if you want to go the premium paid offer route, then sure do what you proposed above.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Why split it up? Like buffalooed said... put them in an offer section.

Nick

We may add a portal that features certain offers. It'll be on a trial basis to start with.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
After some thought, a sort of portal wouldn't be a bad idea.

Threads / Offers posted in the Offers forum could be displayed on a homepage portal. It would be a column of offers and then a smaller column of recent posts, etc. It'd all be tied to the forum.

Rules would be put in place, so not one offer can be posted over and over again. Once every 14 days, or something. Moderated before displayed, so if information is missing from the offer it can be added before it goes live. That way the provider can basically write their own offer, with their own style, so long as it displayed the required info.

A few trusted members from the community could moderate them, whoever the community would feel comfortable with. Basically checking to make sure it's been more than XX amount of days since their last offer and checking to make sure it includes the required info and meets the criteria for an offer.

What do you think? Why have an offers forum and a featured offers form? Why can't regular offers just be featured?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
After some thought, a sort of portal wouldn't be a bad idea.

Threads / Offers posted in the Offers forum could be displayed on a homepage portal. It would be a column of offers and then a smaller column of recent posts, etc. It'd all be tied to the forum.
Thats a better idea then creating a blog (copy of LEB, not the content but the layout)

The portal could the center of attention with links/sections to information about he board itself. Like what was requested before on who owns the board.. etc .. basically an about page. The rules page... 

List goes on with possibilities 

titanicsaled

I think a front page with offers/reviews would be a great idea. It would be great if admins could "star" a offer/review post to have it displayed on the front page. That way it would reuse the existing content on the forums and present it in an easier to read way without providers having to send in different offers for the front page and have to wait a long time for them to be posted.

Or maybe you could display the offers that have been rated highest by the users automatically on the front page.

Either wouldnt be too difficult to code a little plugin for.

bfj

I vote no. I think the site should stay to what it says. If you wanted something like that I would do a new domain with it (sort of how LET / LEB were separated).

Having a forum for latest deals should be enough, in my opinion. But alas, I am not a provider just a potential customer. If you did do another site, you would not necessarily have to have a new "Domain" just do  deals.vpsboard.com.

My 2 cents. 

Last edited by a moderator:

blergh

Verified Provider
As long as the offers are being reviewd thoroughly and things like the deadpool remain existant. And no shitty summerhosts please.

Dillybob

I think it should what forum software is this btw? I using the mobile version and it works great
Invision Powerboard 3.

It's pretty snappy for being a 3.x version, I like how this theme is very lightweight and fluid.  

I think if L.E.T enabled the thanks button.... all of this wouldn't of happened.... (joking ofc) lol!

But I like it here so far!

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
A feed on the homepage or portal would be great to display offers, may be not at the moment though since there's not many offers

mitgib

Verified Provider
I'm not opposed to small paid display ads, cash has to flow for things, and I don't mind paying for those ads to the right people

Nick

I'm not opposed to small paid display ads, cash has to flow for things, and I don't mind paying for those ads to the right people
At the time, MannDude and myself are doing this in our spare time and the costs of running are minimal.

We've considered offering ad space for free.

GVH-Jon

Banned
My vote: Yes.

Especially because Invision Power Board supports this and the look & feel of it is most especially nice. :)

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I'll vote yes. You could use IP Content and promote threads to be put onto your home page. Doesn't have to be all offers, interesting topics would be good as well (news of control panels and such).

Then you can also do a feed of latest 10 offers or something.

Naruto

No, because then we might have to go to vpsboard.com/forums/ or something. Or a subdomain.

Also, a homepage simply opens things up for corruption by people paying for homepage ads.

Greed on forums like these turn the community to shit. Besides, the site is the forum. Let it be seen.

amuck-landowner