amuck-landowner

Should we migrate to discourse forum software?

serverian

Verified Provider
I find it IPB hard to follow and read and very slow.

I've asked @MannDude to migrate to discourse and he asked me to start a vote thread for it. So here it is.

Note that all posts and users will be migrated if we decide this. So you won't loose anything.

You can try discourse here:

http://try.discourse.org/

ServerBear also uses it:

http://forum.serverbear.com/

It has way too cool features. See them here:

http://www.discourse.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

George_Fusioned

Verified Provider
I like IPB :)

If the inline/attached images thing gets fixed, I'm super happy with vpsBoard just the way it is.

serverian

Verified Provider
At least ****ing read the features of discourse before voting!

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
@serverian

If one do like the current board, why the need of change?

I've never tried discourse but i like it the way it is right now. Thats the reason I voted no.

Chronic

Discourse is very different and while not necessarily better, I can see it's appeal and I think it'd be worth giving it a shot

vanarp

Discourse doesn't seem to render well on mobile. Yes, looks similar to vanilla but I prefer current IPB overall.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
@serverian

Your opinion :)

+1 vanarp said about mobile.

Dillybob

Unfortunately, I am loving the discourse forum software (The ajax loading and whatnot) makes it seem very fast.  I just feel it looks a bit to unprofessional as compared to here.  Although, I hate the speed of IPB 3.x, it's running pretty dam fast on this server from my location and that is very rare.  Plus this skin and theme fits everything just perfectly! I like how we have the post count and location on the post-bit templates.  (Keeping it very simple and professional is key) 

Plus IPB 3.x has a very beautiful mobile skin that works blazing fast, so I am not sure but I voted no for now....

Plus if the admin could/most likely-will get this IPB 3.x running even faster.... it would be even better....  IPB 3.x is full of bloated features, but as you can see here; used professionally and keeping it basic, it works perfect!

My 2 cents, sorry serverian  :ph34r:

serverbear

Happy to answer any questions about Discourse so far. We chose it because SB is built on RoR & we're integrating benchmarks with user profiles, plus the UI is pretty nice.

It is a resource hog, you won't be able to run it on a 256mb machine & there's a few annoying things that just haven't been developed yet.

I'm pretty impressed, but just remember it's very much in beta. So the featureset is nothing compared to IPB.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Happy to answer any questions about Discourse so far. We chose it because SB is built on RoR & we're integrating benchmarks with user profiles, plus the UI is pretty nice.

It is a resource hog, you won't be able to run it on a 256mb machine & there's a few annoying things that just haven't been developed yet.

I'm pretty impressed, but just remember it's very much in beta. So the featureset is nothing compared to IPB.
Hey man, glad to have you hear.

I'll admit, I like the looks of it but not so much to warrant a change just based on that. What sort of resources are we talking about here?

~# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           248        209         39          0         19        122
-/+ buffers/cache:         68        180

This is what's going on currently with vpsBoard running Lighttpd and php5-fpm, MySQL is being offloaded elsewhere so that helps a lot. Just posting these stats as you mention a '256MB machine'. Could run MySQL on this VPS and still probably have resources to spare.

I'm going to sign up over at your place and give it a whirl. =]

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I don't think discourse is really right for this type of community, and if it continues to grow then discourse lacks in areas that will be required.  Personally I preferred Vanilla.

The skin really needs to be changed on here too, it's just, well, shit :)

Noerman

How about switch to another commercial product not opensource.

I agreed the switch, but please consider this ...

Should I switch to Discourse right now?

Probably not.

1. Discourse is brand new. Discourse is early beta software, and likely to remain so for many months. Please experiment with it, play with it, give us feedback, submit pull requests

amuck-landowner