amuck-landowner

Simplest PXE boot server solutions

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Collectively brain pooling on this one.

Looking for easiest/quickest PXE boot server solution.

Simply, need a setup where netboot can get one of many distro options to be served by this server.

Anyone have a recommendation for the simplest/quickest to setup PXE boot server?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I'll see if I can find the CentOS tutorial I used. It's insanely simple to setup and took me maybe 15 minutes (not including the ISO downloads). Creating the menu is the longest part but it comes with some samples to work off of.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I found this tutorial that's even shorter than the one I used: http://www.justnudge...os-and-dnsmasq/
That looks mega simple and easily adapted to Debian.

Going to work on that overnight and see if I can replicate success in Debian.  

And, figure out, if it works, how to inject multiple OS selections.

Thanks a bunch @KuJoe!

earl

Mighty interesting.

Too bad they seemed to have stopped in 2009 :(  No new distro stuff on there.
Holy gheez you're right!! I found the site a while back and been meaning to try it out but I keep forgetting.. guess that was around 4 years ago, lol..

Last edited by a moderator:

Mun

Never Forget
Holy gheez you're right!! I found the site a while back and been meaning to try it out but I keep forgetting.. guess that was around 4 years ago, lol..
I wonder if you can change the repository location, Might be able to build something :)

Mun

earl

I wonder if you can change the repository location, Might be able to build something :)

Mun
Im sure it's possible.. wish I can play around with it but currently renovating my house so I don't have access to a spare computer..

on another note just finished moving 9 1U/2U server from upstairs to the main floor.. man those things are really heavy I'm surprised I did not pass out hahaha....

amuck-landowner