amuck-landowner

Simplest VPN server possible?

fonk

Hello I'm a complete beginner at installing and configuring my linux VPS, however, I want to setup a VPN that I can connect to via my phone.

Currently I'm paying $30 per year for a VPN service, I simply input their hostname, my username, password and hit connect.

How can I host my own where I can just login like that from my phone?

johnlth93

Simplest and can connect simply with phone would be pptp vpn then. There are so many guide you can google for it.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
PPTP is by far the easiest method. Depending on your required location you can get a VPN server setup in less than 5 minutes for less than $10/year these days.

Roger

Verified Provider
OpenVPN has its own Android client and several options for IOS. It works much more reliably than PPTP, but the latter is the easiest to setup on the server.

Uh I'm probably not the one to ask about kernels and such (0 knowledge to share). But enabling PPP has never been difficult on providers I've tried installing VPNs on so far. Just a simple click from SolusVM or whatever WHMCS-integrated panel the provider uses, then reboot (if not done automatically by the panel).

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Keep in mind there are some pros to that $30/year VPN service.  A semi-tech friend was looking for a VPN service and signed up with privateinternetaccess which was a good choice for him - I don't know about that particular provider, but he didn't have to manage the server.  If you don't what to be a Linux admin, "simplest" is always a 3rd party right-click-on-the-tray-icon-and-you're-connected service.

Also, 3rd party services usually you give you access to many POPs.  Whereas if you rent a VPS and setup your own VPN, you only have one.

OTOH, that one is all yours, you control where it is, etc.

OTOH, if you are planning to stick it to the man with your digital underground rebellion, the man will be able to easily find you, perhaps less so (very perhaps, very variable) with a 3rd party service.

OTOH, you probably get better performance on a VPS you control in terms of throughput, versus a service.

OTOH...etc.

eva2000

I'm using hidemyass VPN but speeds are too slow for me especially when here in Australia I am getting ~114Mbps download speed, but using a VPN even located in Australia only nets me 2-5Mbps speeds.

Wondering if I find the right Australia based VPS and setup my own VPN would i get faster speeds closer to my non-VPN speeds ? Any additional steps needed to be done in evaluating a VPS for VPN usage where speeds are priority ?

WhizzWr

I'm surprised no one mentioned OpenVPN Access Server.

it's basically the enterprise service offered by OpenVPN company. (i.e OpenVPN setup automated and commercialized) 

Features:

1. Automated installation via sh script,
  2. Everything configured through back-end (Admin) Web GUI
  3. OpenVPN client software bundled with configs downloadable from the front end (Client) Web GUI. Bonus: OpenVPN AS client  is in Google Play.
  4. By default utilise both username/pass and TLS cert
  5. Supported by OpenVPN company, documentations available
Some catch:

1. Require full virtualization as it's using a lot of iptables capabilities. Last time I checked it fails to run on OpenVZ
  2. Free version is limited to 2 concurrent user (need more, you'll need to pay, but perfect for single use!

Last edited by a moderator:

nunim

VPS Junkie

Some catch:

1. Require full virtualization as it's using a lot of iptables capabilities. Last time I checked it fails to run on OpenVZ
  2. Free version is limited to 2 concurrent user (need more, you'll need to pay, but perfect for single use!
Actually OpenVPN-AS works just fine on OpenVZ it just needs some kernel modules enabled. 

See:  http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/docs/admin-guides/186-how-to-run-access-server-on-a-vps-container.html

Some hosts support this by default, i.e. RamNode, for others it may take a support ticket but it's surely possible.

Increhost

Verified Provider
OpenBSD + npppd gives a really easy to setup L2TP/IPSec VPN, sure it's not linux, but 

in a KVM VPS you should be able to configure it properly.

Cheers

peterw

I'm surprised no one mentioned OpenVPN Access Server.

it's basically the enterprise service offered by OpenVPN company. (i.e OpenVPN setup automated and commercialized) 

Features:

1. Automated installation via sh script,
  2. Everything configured through back-end (Admin) Web GUI
  3. OpenVPN client software bundled with configs downloadable from the front end (Client) Web GUI. Bonus: OpenVPN AS client  is in Google Play.
  4. By default utilise both username/pass and TLS cert
  5. Supported by OpenVPN company, documentations available
Some catch:

Thank you. Did not know that it is free for two concurrent users.

amuck-landowner