amuck-landowner

Since WHT isn't the same as 5+ years ago, where's all the 'good' traffic gone to?

Kephael

None of those are "real cloud", just VPS's.
You can do high availability configurations with shared storage at all the providers I mentioned. AWS elastic beanstalk makes it so easy to scale your deployments it's not even funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You can do high availability configurations with shared storage at all the providers I mentioned.
In theory you can HA config a box of Pi's or any collection of VPS containers.    Saying that those services bundle the tools for making HA happen automagically?

Kephael

In theory you can HA config a box of Pi's or any collection of VPS containers.    Saying that those services bundle the tools for making HA happen automagically?
Yes, but you can't quickly scale that deployment when your site goes viral on a social platform. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yes, but you can't quickly scale that deployment when your site goes viral on a social platform. 
Sure you can.  A lot of us have been doing this for better chunk of 20 years.  

More hot-standby front ends in more DCs.  Rest of it is just strings, front ends, load balancing, whatever your approach may be.

Call me picky about clouds and all the hype.   Really aren't many people running real clouds, even big shops pretending to death they are.  Then again, the definition for such is all loose and allows anything to shoe horn itself in such.

Kephael

Sure you can.  A lot of us have been doing this for better chunk of 20 years.  

More hot-standby front ends in more DCs.  Rest of it is just strings, front ends, load balancing, whatever your approach may be.

Call me picky about clouds and all the hype.   Really aren't many people running real clouds, even big shops pretending to death they are.  Then again, the definition for such is all loose and allows anything to shoe horn itself in such.
You end up paying for a massive amount of unneeded capacity that way in order to accommodate serious traffic bursts. Being able to scale your deployment in a few minutes is much different than paying for additional capacity that may never be utilized or may not be enough as you cannot always forecast traffic patterns. If you have some small operation that is cost sensitive the aforementioned providers probably won't make financial sense, but if you are a company selling high margin products/services and need absolute reliability and a trustworthy company to partner with while also offering automation to reduce IT staffing costs these companies make a lot of sense. The IT people aren't adding value in these organizations and minimizing them is a massive cost reduction.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
As far as LET thriving, well, it has seen its peak.  Arguably its time is passing.  Nearly everything fades, eventually.  Although cheap has a longer lure on folks.
The numbers say otherwise to be honest, I always see the dashboard stats when in the LET admin panel it was this that prompted me to look at them more.  Ok the reliability factor will be out somewhat but since 2012 and setting aside the unfortunate event in the summer of 2013 LET has steadily and consistently seeing more traffic, posts and members.  Everything is on the up.

Now I am not trying to jump up for LET here, just saying it as I see the stats.  I can't obviously say too much of course as it's not my place.  I was pretty amazed at just how many posts there were month to month, I never imagined it would be so high.

But as you say, cheap has a longer lure and for now at least it's not peaked just yet,

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You end up paying for a massive amount of unneeded capacity that way in order to accommodate serious traffic bursts. Being able to scale your deployment in a few minutes is much different than paying for additional capacity that may never be utilized or may not be enough as you cannot always forecast traffic patterns. If you have some small operation that is cost sensitive the aforementioned providers probably won't make financial sense, but if you are a company selling high margin products/services and need absolute reliability and a trustworthy company to partner with while also offering automation to reduce IT staffing costs these companies make a lot of sense. The IT people aren't adding value in these organizations and minimizing them is a massive cost reduction.
I can simply script spin ups with containers all over.  

But your point is valid per se.  Cost bottom line is tricky and keeping hot spares isn't appealing, unless they are rather cheap (which I am quite fond of often). 

Lots of the cloud companies (even fake ones) have sticker shock if you are doing anything significant.

I am not of the school of thought that eliminating IT folks is a good idea.   Saying they offer no value is sort of funny.  The resident accountant isn't going to understand, create or deploy anything other than say Gmail or similar one off better work cloud hosting thing.   Not going to launch a dev layer and roll out code or planning (aside from the accounting aspects of finance).  Definitely not the folks playing in the cloud mass deploy.  Nor is other management or the secretary or the janitor.

host4go

Verified Provider

zomgmike

Verified Provider
A lot of the classic arguments have played themselves out (i.e. every spin-off hosting related forum now has a unique definition of "unlimited"...probably due entirely to WHT debates) or the arguments are no longer relevant (i.e. power concerns in filling a rack.)  Most discussion is over before it starts.

The more low-brow stuff (i.e. "ermahgerd colocrossing!!!1") has found it's way to alternative forums that have different moderation standards.

If what I hear is correct, WHT actually asks for proof of ID when you sign up now.  If true, I don't think they're doing themselves any favors, as I certainly wouldn't sign up for a random forum online if that was required.  If they do I understand why, just saying I'd simply not join if a forum ever asked me.  I don't want to test it, lest I risk the ban hammer.

RLT

WHT is still around? Detested their mobile site. Menus never work for me on Android. On the menu and just get a blank drop down.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
The ROI at WHT is very bad at the moment. That is from sticky + corp membership. It does not pay off. 

- Daniel :)
I'll second that. We ran a sticky recently and the ROI was less than desirable. I mentioned this to the account executive when ending my renewal but of course, it's not WHT's fault. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll second that. We ran a sticky recently and the ROI was less than desirable. I mentioned this to the account executive when ending my renewal but of course, it's not WHT's fault. 
So you said to WHT rep that sales numbers stunk and they shrugged that off as your issue and not their issue?

I tell you what, if they actually queried their customers - those buying stickies in past year - and looked at cost vs. spend analysis they might lean quite at bit at Penton.  Might realize they bought a slagging asset in an industry with an identity crisis and midlife oddball phase.

Surprised, since Penton hires lots of folks to run numbers and optimize.  Real surprised, but, denial is a strong drug.

amuck-landowner