amuck-landowner

So you Start - Sentient?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Okay, this could go on forever.

re: "a simple traceroute/MTR would tell us exactly where they were blocked", again, the excessive packet loss was worldwide... simply doing a traceroute/MTR from a single location wouldn't have accounted for everywhere else. This is obvious, so why ask for only one MTR? Refusing to do your own tests in the face of such excessive packet loss is, at best, intellectually insulting in that it suggests to the client you either don't believe or don't understand the severity of the problem. (Not quite the way to build trust).

tl;dr I am against the usage of MTR as dei ex machina.

Last edited by a moderator:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
If you're an MTR fan you can always try this subsequent packet loss drama on LET: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/65489/seflow-stay-far-away-scammers-and-liars/p2#Comment_1323299

50% packet loss from more than one location and yet MTR didn't help to address anything about the deeper, underlying problem at all, as it wouldn't have here. The obfuscating focus on its 'correct usage' as a miracle cure is amusing, at least.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, reducing all aspects of the problem into a Trivial Pursuit game on how to use the command line might be completely misguided!

(P.S. I ended up cancelling the server and was given a full refund for the troubles in this thread, so thanks to SyS for not trying to scam me out of the money, at least).

Tyler

I just want to pop in and say that their use of MTR is a bit silly. OVH & SYS both want MTR's for everything. It's unnecessary and a lot of distros don't even have mtr installed by default.

matteob

Verified Provider
If you're an MTR fan you can always try this subsequent packet loss drama on LET: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/65489/seflow-stay-far-away-scammers-and-liars/p2#Comment_1323299

50% packet loss from more than one location and yet MTR didn't help to address anything about the deeper, underlying problem at all, as it wouldn't have here. The obfuscating focus on its 'correct usage' as a miracle cure is amusing, at least.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, reducing all aspects of the problem into a Trivial Pursuit game on how to use the command line might be completely misguided!

(P.S. I ended up cancelling the server and was given a full refund for the troubles in this thread, so thanks to SyS for not trying to scam me out of the money, at least).

This thread, as example is not correct, because we was forced to do that reply to the customer due to police investigation. (we can now share the details). We had for 48 hours the police in DCs to sniff customer traffic due to international compliants from german IT police.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
@matteob I wasn't calling you a scammer and I didn't mean the problems in both threads were similar. I've never had an account with seflow and have no opinion of your service.

I was juxtaposing the threads to show how in each instance MTR tunnel-vision was a diversionary focus that didn't really address any of the underlying problems.

Beyond that, I have no idea what's going on between you and the client on LET. That's messed re: police intervention, though, sorry to hear that.

matteob

Verified Provider
hi,

nono i not want accuse you. Just want say that mtr shown on that thread was altered due to sniffing operations. ;)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Quote said:
. I've never had an account with seflow and have no opinion of your service.

I've had servers with them for 2+ years and they're one of the European dedicated providers I always recommend.  The network in Milan is very good (since they started using Noction and added Level3 and NTT in 2013 and dumped Cogent), their servers are reliable and priced similarly to OVH/Hetzner,  very fast response times to support tickets (I think all of my technical support tickets have been answered in under 15 minutes), and they're staffed by real people (as opposed to OVH which is staffed by robots...) 

TL;DR I tend to ignore reviews that call providers "scams" when the reviews are started by people who in the past have started threads asking "Any providers that allows spoofed UDP?"  

I just want to pop in and say that their use of MTR is a bit silly. OVH & SYS both want MTR's for everything. It's unnecessary and a lot of distros don't even have mtr installed by default.

I don't think any distros install mtr or mtr-tiny by default but it is available for all distros and *BSDs and Solaris.  It's one of the things I install on every server (and desktop) because it is a useful tool for diagnosing problems but there are many cases where it won't be much help (like police sniffing operations...)

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Fun text re: the myth of echo & narcissus: http://criticalinformationsva.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Gee_Erin_echo-narcissus.pdf

[...]

Echo and Ping –connectivity in networked landscapes

In aural reflection, live-ness is tempered through lag and an eventual decay or disappearance, articulating space between the self and the physical environment. For example, shouting into a canyon and waiting to see how long it takes before the echo is returned gives information about the distance between self and the multiple surfaces of the canyon environment. One locates the self in this environment through the return of a reflection that is intrinsically tied to both psychological and physical space.

This locating function of the echo is relevant to networked context. Despite the popular misconception of online interaction as defined by immediacy and speed, it is often characterized by temporal difference, delay, and asynchronous interaction. Though some users of the internet may define their online experience through the physical encounter of their bodies with the immediate interface that connects them to the screen, this is a narcissist perspective. An echoist perspective would consider the content of the internet as existing through a global system of hyperlinks and networked pings that articulate the digital landscape.

[...]

amuck-landowner