amuck-landowner

SolusVM SOLD and acquired by OnApp

NullMind

Verified Provider
Cost is part of the reason but a lack of technical competence is also a major reason that many SolusVM users are not "cloud type hosts" (especially the low end openvz segment of the market),  Read through a few threads on LowEndTalk or WHT and you'll find many hosts who have limited knowledge of Linux, programming languages, etc., etc. and would be lost if they didn't have a push button solution like SolusVM. I shudder to think what would happen if they tried to offer a "cloud" type product.
Thats the beauty of the federation, the cloud itself is deployed, secured and managed by providers who have allot of experience with deploying and maintaining complex systems like these, the federation consumer (ex: Solus host) does not need to worry about none of it, just provide such resources to their clients in a white label environment.

What runs inside a cloud vm and what runs inside a regular VPS is the same, support at that level is something a traditional VPS host can handle, now the fact there are some hosts who can't, it's something we can't police.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Thats the beauty of the federation, the cloud itself is deployed, secured and managed by providers who have allot of experience with deploying and maintaining complex systems like these, the federation consumer (ex: Solus host) does not need to worry about none of it, just provide such resources to their clients in a white label environment.

What runs inside a cloud vm and what runs inside a regular VPS is the same, support at that level is something a traditional VPS host can handle, now the fact there are some hosts who can't, it's something we can't police.

What makes you think a VPS company using Solus that typically has a max $7/m VPS package (thanks LE*) is going to benefit from or try to sell/sell federation VPS that are significantly higher than the monthly cap their primary advertisement market is bound to? Not saying added features is a bad thing, but I don't realistically see this going anywhere with the vast majority of SolusVM hosts advertising within that $7/m upper limit on packages.

I don't see us selling that even if we offered it on our site just due to the market segment our clientbase comes from. Nor would I WANT to sell something I am playing middle-man on for something that isn't a software/license addon sold at-cost.

NullMind

Verified Provider
What makes you think a VPS company using Solus that typically has a max $7/m VPS package (thanks LE*) is going to benefit from or try to sell/sell federation VPS that are significantly higher than the monthly cap their primary advertisement market is bound to? Not saying added features is a bad thing, but I don't realistically see this going anywhere with the vast majority of SolusVM hosts advertising within that $7/m upper limit on packages.
Thats an incredibly wrong generalisation of the SolusVM client base, thats all I can say.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Thats an incredibly wrong generalisation of the SolusVM client base, thats all I can say.

It's a pretty large portion of the SolusVM clientbase though. Not ALL of it, but a pretty large percentage of it. The federation feature will be targeting a fairly small chunk of existing SolusVM clients.

Question RE Pricing: Any plans to offer bulk discounts for those of us with a huge pile of licenses of SolusVM? :)

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Ill reserve my judgement until later. I fail to see how SolusVM could get significantly worse, however there is a large potential for improvement.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Ill reserve my judgement until later. I fail to see how SolusVM could get significantly worse, however there is a large potential for improvement.

I'm hoping for improvement! Assuming OnAPP leaves it mostly the same, but adds in their devs it should improve quality and features (hopefully) get released at a faster rate.

Happy with the direction Solus is (finally) taking to getting stuff on track. IPv6 subnets is awesome and needed, the audit should have been done ages ago, but it's a great step in the right direction.

NullMind

Verified Provider
It's a pretty large portion of the SolusVM clientbase though. Not ALL of it, but a pretty large percentage of it. The federation feature will be targeting a fairly small chunk of existing SolusVM clients.

Question RE Pricing: Any plans to offer bulk discounts for those of us with a huge pile of licenses of SolusVM? :)
At the moment the main goal is to look at what can be improved and what else can be done to make it a better product, TBH the product is priced incredibly well :)

SkylarM

Verified Provider
At the moment the main goal is to look at what can be improved and what else can be done to make it a better product, TBH the product is priced incredibly well :)
Give us the option to provision a VPS with Tun/Tap/PPTP/Fuse/etc already enabled, also option for clients to enable Fuse, etc similar to the Tun/TAP (WHICH DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK!!) in the client area ;) Gogo.

rds100

Verified Provider
Give us the option to provision a VPS with Tun/Tap/PPTP/Fuse/etc already enabled, also option for clients to enable Fuse, etc similar to the Tun/TAP (WHICH DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK!!) in the client area ;) Gogo.
This is really not an issue, we've been doing this for years with some additional custom scripting.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
I do agree, which is the only reason people are still with it I think.  For the cost, it's a reasonably complete product that people can at least use and ignore most of the annoyances even if they are extremely annoying.  That said, there's a ton of room for improvement - lets complete what's already there.

The first step to setting a good first impression and gaining the respect of your customers is going to be answering a few questions straight up:

Is there SolusVM 2 or has that been a lie and phony screenshots all along like I suspect?

What are you long-term intentions regarding pricing?  Will it remain on a per-node basis or go to a per-core model like OnApp?

Are you going to develop, maintain, and improve the feature set that's already there or try to push everyone into your "cloud" bubble?

I'm wondering how many OnApp developers suddenly started binge drinking after seeing the Solus source, and realizing what nightmare they were just walked into.
I think the biggest reason that WHMCS and Solus both won't release their source is not for fear of it being pirated, but for fear of embarrassment and being the laughing stock of the industry for a while whereas they can hide it and everyone go along using their terrible code as if it weren't there.  Ignorance is bliss.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
After a bit more reading of this "Exciting news for all of our customers" email, along with your defense of the OnApp Federation, it now seems obvious what this is all about:

By going after the general client-base of Solus (read kiddie hosts) by buying it, you can further your marketshare of resold "cloud" thus greatly increasing your profits by allowing more people to resell OnApp "cloud".

Smart move from a business perspective, but basically there's about to be OnApp resellers everywhere....boy does the future look bright.

NullMind

Verified Provider
Is there SolusVM 2 or has that been a lie and phony screenshots all along like I suspect?

What are you long-term intentions regarding pricing?  Will it remain on a per-node basis or go to a per-core model like OnApp?

Are you going to develop, maintain, and improve the feature set that's already there or try to push everyone into your "cloud" bubble?
The Solus product will continue to evolve, as a VPS management platform with federation capabilities, it will continue to be developed and maintained to be the best on what it does, it's a different market than that of Cloud and we dont intend to change it's focus.

On pricing, honestly we have not made any plans to change it.

Munzy

Wait, I saw "secured" by the providers somewhere in here!

Let me go pull that CVPS SolusVM dump again and find my user info again. 

The simple fact you are relying on the providers to secure it is idiotic, as many haven't even come out of HS yet. 

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
This sums it up for me, I am not expecting much but any improvements will be a bonus, frankly after 4 years with solusvm the only thing that I am waiting for is a viable and well thought out method of migration to another panel, if virtualizor come up with that (they are working on it) I will migrate to virtualizor, if onapp come up with it first then I will go to onapp, that is pretty much all I am waiting for at this stage.

NullMind

Verified Provider
Wait, I saw "secured" by the providers somewhere in here!

Let me go pull that CVPS SolusVM dump again and find my user info again. 

The simple fact you are relying on the providers to secure it is idiotic, as many haven't even come out of HS yet. 
Please read the whole thing again, you are mixing up things, Im talking about something completely different.

amuck-landowner