amuck-landowner

SpamVPS, the industry leading 2GB for a peso brand BBB

trewq

Verified Provider
@CVPS_Chris I have received the email even though I requested unsubscription and you confirming it. I even had you close my account.

To be fair, you said I should not receive any more emails not that I will not.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll just say it strikes me as odd that something as simple as email management / list management for the customers is soooooo complicated that NWNX / ChicagoVPS can't get it done.   

Non technical n00bs have figured this compliance and common sense thing out a decade or more ago.

I expect the geniuses in your company / partners / outsourced workforce to be able to handle such a pedestrian task.

At law, complexity and you being personally busy doesn't make you non liable. 

CVPS_Chris

Verified Provider
@aggressivenetworks @drmike

It has nothing to do with if someone is smart enough or not. Its simply just something someone was unfamiliar with, and was unaware of the boxes to check off in WHMCS.

By default, WHMCS selects Active, Inactive, and Closed client accounts. You have to manually deselect Closed client accounts.

Then when sending the email, you have to manaually select a check box that can be easily over looked, that says to not send emails to clients that wish to not recieve promotional emails.

Im sure you already know this and just want do more harm then good. I stated a mistake was made on our side, and I have explained myself. Nothing furthur needs to be discussed.

@drmike, I see you overlooked my comment about contacting you wanting to have a freindly chat. Typical.

trewq

Verified Provider
@CVPS_Chris did this worker get trained how to send the email? If they did not it's negligent of you and you can not keep blaming them.

You have clearly broken the law, it does have the be discussed. Even when I was first getting the emails it was illegal. I was a customer of UGVPS, what gives you the right to copy my data across companies? Legally nothing, I did not give permission for CVPS to store, transfer or use my data.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Training and staging.... Train people right.  Stage, test the the email internally, proof the list before clicking bang. 

Issue here with data retention.   Why is CVPS keeping account details long after point where folks are not a customer?  That's bad bad idea, and in case of hack unnecessary exposure.

I won't even go into @trewq points about acquisition and handling account details however CVPS feels they want to.  That's bad.

I left things slide earlier @CVPS_Chris to not noise up the thread.  The BBB stuff about them being racketeers / Ponzi scam, I may not agree with all aspects of their way of operating.   But seriously?  You were happy as a pig in shit to slather the BBB Accredited graphic on your site and it took force threats to get it brought down. That was long after you were hard dropped as NOT accredited.

Fact is, how CVPS has been ran the past year especially, there is no way you could maintain any good reputation in the BBB system or other places.  You know that, I know that, and sooooooo many folks in these communities know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is CVPS keeping account details long after point where folks are not a customer?  That's bad bad idea, and in case of hack unnecessary exposure.
To be fair, that's just common practice. We retain customer data and communication logs for a couple years after account closure as a safeguard against latent disputes. Most banks have a time limit of 6 months to place a chargeback, but it all depends on the card issuing bank -- we once received a chargeback on an 18 month old American Expresss transaction.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
To be fair, that's just common practice. We retain customer data and communication logs for a couple years after account closure as a safeguard against latent disputes. Most banks have a time limit of 6 months to place a chargeback, but it all depends on the card issuing bank -- we once received a chargeback on an 18 month old American Expresss transaction.
There's no reason at all to be storing that information in a front-end interface.  If WHMCS is your *only* bookkeeping method then you already have problems far worse than worrying about retaining closed account information.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ald said most of what I would.

Legal and banking worries are probably best addressed with that data offline - at least off the public internet and in WHMCS.  

Yeah, I realize folks do this and probably very common.  It's very very very bad though.

Problem with having digital ledger is it is subject to corruption, injection, other forms of data breakage.

Would be interesting to hear what others do for longer term preservation methods with idea of getting the data out of the public facing 'Net system.

CVPS_Chris

Verified Provider
Training and staging.... Train people right.  Stage, test the the email internally, proof the list before clicking bang. 

Issue here with data retention.   Why is CVPS keeping account details long after point where folks are not a customer?  That's bad bad idea, and in case of hack unnecessary exposure.

I won't even go into @trewq points about acquisition and handling account details however CVPS feels they want to.  That's bad.

I left things slide earlier @CVPS_Chris to not noise up the thread.  The BBB stuff about them being racketeers / Ponzi scam, I may not agree with all aspects of their way of operating.   But seriously?  You were happy as a pig in shit to slather the BBB Accredited graphic on your site and it took force threats to get it brought down. That was long after you were hard dropped as NOT accredited.

Fact is, how CVPS has been ran the past year especially, there is no way you could maintain any good reputation in the BBB system or other places.  You know that, I know that, and sooooooo many folks in these communities know it.

The graphic was simply just forgotton about. CVPS was not dropped as a accredited business, I just stopped paying them and the score dropped and acccrediation was removed.

Take a deeper look into some of the complaints, 80% of them are not even a legitament complaint that should have been kept on file, and a big reason why I left.

If you think that a legitament complaint is asking a client for proof of ID because they ordered a large amount worth of services on a credit card is a complaint, then Im not sure what to say.

Still waiting for that reply @drmike

There's no reason at all to be storing that information in a front-end interface.  If WHMCS is your *only* bookkeeping method then you already have problems far worse than worrying about retaining closed account information.
:rollingeyes:

Did I say anything about keeping the data in WHMCS? No.

Did I imply ChicagoVPS does all their bookkeeping in WHMCS? No.

I'm not defending the decision of ChicagoVPS to retain years of customer data in WHMCS. I merely pointed out the fact that such customer data is typically retained by businesses for a variety of very legitimate reasons.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Who dunnit?

<!--   /*   * NewWave NetConnect LLC   * Design by: Eric Unger [email protected]   *   * For http://nwnx.net   * Copyright 2014 NWNX LLC   *   */-->

And Mr. Unger entered stage left back here:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
:rollingeyes:

Did I say anything about keeping the data in WHMCS? No.

Did I imply ChicagoVPS does all their bookkeeping in WHMCS? No.

I'm not defending the decision of ChicagoVPS to retain years of customer data in WHMCS. I merely pointed out the fact that such customer data is typically retained by businesses for a variety of very legitimate reasons.
Did I say anything about you saying anything about keeping the data in WHMCS?  No.

Yeah, let's not do that shit, it's silly playground banter.  Instead, logically, look at the situation.  The core issue is that people not wishing to receive emails are receiving emails - when wanting their accounts deleted, they were historically told 'no'.  Keeping client records is a typical explanation for that decision.

Yes, data retention is a legitimate and necessary practice.  But someone's private accounting software isn't going to randomly start sending sales ads to people, so it's a safe assumption that said data is being stored in WHMCS.  If they had a primary bookkeeping system, they wouldn't have any problem deleting the account in question from WHMCS records.

amuck-landowner