amuck-landowner

SSD Server

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Looking for a Dedicated Server or Decent KVM with SSD storage (not cached).

Requirements:

• Atleast RAID-1
  • Atleast 4GB ram, 8GB preferred.
  • 4 Cores @ 2.0Ghz+
  • 120GB - 240GB SSD storage
Preferably in NL, Elsewhere EU is acceptable, NY is possibly acceptable.

Budget: $40-90

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
You won't get it for that price in NL (and if you do it will be from a questionable provider in a crappy DC ).  Try Milan > Seflow > excellent network and reliability

i7-4770 16GB RAM/20TB BW/1x240GB SSD for 41 euros (w/59 euro setup) or 56 euros (no setup fee) > add 10 euros for a 2nd 240GB HD, add 5 euros for 32GB RAM

or E3-1230 16GB RAM/20TB BW/2x240GB SSD 71 euros/no setup fee

splitice

Verified Provider
I wouldn't be posting it if it wasn't a bit of a challenge. Thank you for your suggestion but its with a person I would rather not deal with.

KVM is acceptable and I know of a few offers within that price range, NL Is preferred, but anywhere in EU would be fine really, even possibly overseas in New York (where the current server resides).

Just FYI my current list includes:

• Vultr (NL)
  • Hetzner EX40-SSD (DE)
  • SYS SSD Range (FR)

Plenty of options from the big players within this range. Not to sure which smaller players have remotely comparable offers (if any).

splitice

Verified Provider
Honestly the CPU doesn't matter too greatly. One of the servers I have been looking at is an E3 1245v2 which is probably as good as any. I estimate it at double the performance of the current Digitalocean 2 core droplet its on anyway.

The workload is not really CPU bound as much as it is bound by the write speed and storage capacity.

rds100

Verified Provider
Long term continuous high speed writes will wear out and kill the SSDs, but anyway i will try to make you an offer.

What will you use it for? What other features do you need (IPs, network, etc.) ?

splitice

Verified Provider
@rds100, you are probably right there.

InnoDB reports 186.8 T bytes written over the past 164 days. Which I would guess means a SSD every 1-2 years. I might be better with a large player as that seems like an awfully short life.

1 IP, Bandwidth and Port speed don't really matter. Server receives a constant 1mbps currently. 1TB should be enough. I cant see it ever using more than 2TB bandwidth (currently uses 300GB/m).

Its the central collection node for a monitoring system storing time based data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonwebhost

Starting a KVM node this week would like to have you onboard. Let me know if I can provide it for you as my first client. Thanks

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Starting a KVM node this week would like to have you onboard. Let me know if I can provide it for you as my first client. Thanks
Are you starting a SSD KVM node? You have a habbit of just posting an offer based on a single keyword.

Shivam

Hey this is probably out of your budget but i thought i'd offer it, 

E3-1230, 8GB RAM, 2x240GB SSD, Software RAID1, 5TB BW on 1Gbps for $105/mo.

Note we can also setup solusvm for you for free

Last edited by a moderator:

splitice

Verified Provider
Thank you for everyone who made an offer. This can now be closed.

Special thanks to @rds100 who was a very close runner up.

amuck-landowner