amuck-landowner

Stripe: The payment processor that can't make up it's mind!

JDiggity

So we have been using Stripe for about 5 months now, everything has been rather good and fairly simple.

The api is a very well documented and very well written api.

Its fast, and easy to setup.

Now the fun part!

In April we hit a patch of fraudsters.  They signed up in March and used the service.  They then the day after the 30 days of service filed a charge-back   Each charge-back cost us $15.  Now $30 is not the end of the world but add in the 5.95 for each of the services we were out and time writing the dispute and it got to be a little irritating.

So 10 days ago we recieved an email that we had lost the disputes.  Okay it is over and done with.  Not!  Today we get 2 emails stating that these had been reversed and we had won the disputes.  I will be refunded tomorrow. 

Not sure how this works but I am grateful to get the money back as our fraud monitoring did work!

So in closing Stripe seems to be very good, but a little bit like a teenage girl who can't make up their mind!

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
So in closing Stripe seems to be very good, but a little bit like a teenage girl who can't make up their mind!

Out of curiosity, would you say that the time dealing with Stripe's problems is worth offering it as a payment gateway?  

one -> won

Not really a grammar nazi, just a spelling nazi ;)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Disclaimer: This is my 100th post.  I'd like to thank @MannDude for making this forum, for @ for giving me the platform to respond, and for all of my beautliful pie-fanatics who supported me on this long journey to piedom.

Back on topic

Hm.  How often do these issues arise?  Out of curiosity (if you mind sharing, if you don't that's fine too) what percentage of your stripe users are bad eggs?  

JDiggity

the only 2 i have had of about 40 transactions through stripe.  It acts like a normal merchant account and that makes it a pretty nice transition.

willie

Most of the dotcom startup sector (i.e. a bit more upscale than the LEB industry, but still operating on the cheap) seems to use Stripe.  I very much prefer them to Paypal, which is a medium for ebay dealers and other ghetto operations.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Didn't they state a reason why they changed their mind?

Out of curiosity I would email and ask why. One possible reason is that the same person/persons who initiated the chargeback did the same to a bunch of other providers.

So if they stripe found a pattern involving different providers they would change their mind and mak the buyer as "fraudster".

I've experienced situations like that a few years ago.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
With google checkout being abandoned, I think I am going to give stripe a try. Thanks for the review on this. 

concerto49

Verified Provider
With google checkout being abandoned, I think I am going to give stripe a try. Thanks for the review on this. 
Aren't they just rebranding to Google Wallet = same thing?

Stripe is nice though. Wish it was here for us in Australian. I'm considering moving due to this whole payment processor issues. Australia barely has anything.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider

Stripe is nice though. Wish it was here for us in Australian. I'm considering moving due to this whole payment processor issues. Australia barely has anything.
Thats what I thought with no major changes just the API..

We've not got Stripe here in the UK, hopefully we'll see it soon (Out of BETA!)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony

Thats what I thought with no major changes just the API..
 Not quite.  Directly from their announcement:

Google Checkout said:
Merchants can continue to accept payments using Google Checkout until November 20, 2013.

Sellers of digital goods on Google (Google Play, Chrome Web Store, Offers Marketplace and Google Wallet for digital goods) will automatically transition to Google Wallet and will not be impacted.

Shoppers can continue to use Google Wallet to purchase goods wherever they see the "Buy with Google" button.
 tl;dr - If you accept payments from Google Wallet/Checkout for services not on Google Play/Market, be prepared to use a different service come November.

amuck-landowner