amuck-landowner

Summer 2013 - 4GB No wait... 8GB?

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Thought I'd take a peak at LET today and feck mine they're on a rampage it seems to push below the normal 2GB for $7 offers, this time I'm seeing many people trying to compete with the 4GB + Offers from WaveRide etc. But nope hang on, someone had to do it 8GB?

KVM
4 x CPU Cores
8GB RAM
50GB Disk (SSD Cached)
3 TB Bandwidth @ gbit
2 x IPv4
100 x IPv6

50GB Offsite backup that can be supplied as NFS/rsync/cifs/iscsi
Free basic cPanel account for DNS management etc
3rd Month free (account credit)

$5 p/month

Odd thing is, its KVM apprently?.

I wonder what 2014 brings? Numerous Deadpoolers? Bank rupt owners? Who knows.. I certainly don't want to see 4GB + being sold for under $7.

Bit over the top if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Well that's CC magic.

You're right. These offers are obvious overselling/deadpoolers.

But there are 2 GB offers for 4$ a month too.

Where do you draw the line?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That's pretty damn sad. It's a pure win for ColoCrossing if it's one of their 'clients', though. Even if it deadpools, they can either just repo the gear to give to someone else, or let their house VPS brand absorb the failed company's client list. Which honestly is what that whole situation has looked like to me from day one - fabricate competition with ridiculous sales in order to quickly build clients, just to let the company die and grow the in-house brand by refugees.

Makes Russel and Constantinos look rather honest in comparison.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
That's pretty damn sad. It's a pure win for ColoCrossing if it's one of their 'clients', though. Even if it deadpools, they can either just repo the gear to give to someone else, or let their house VPS brand absorb the failed company's client list. Which honestly is what that whole situation has looked like to me from day one - fabricate competition with ridiculous sales in order to quickly build clients, just to let the company die and grow the in-house brand by refugees.

Makes Russel and Constantinos look rather honest in comparison.
It wouldn't surprise me if certain people were invovled in the numerous startups which came and went. Would help them make some bank money.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Fair point. It is worth remembering for as much as they like to claim how "big" they are, and rag on "small datacenters they've never heard of", they're not actually a DC themselves - they just rent and resell rack space.

If it is just a quick grab for cash, it makes one wonder if they're really just that dishonest, or are resorting to tactics like these because they're having trouble paying their own bills.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
So what are reasonable prices for:

• 0.5 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
  • 1 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
  • 2 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
?

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Fair point. It is worth remembering for as much as they like to claim how "big" they are, and rag on "small datacenters they've never heard of", they're not actually a DC themselves - they just rent and resell rack space. If it is just a quick grab for cash, it makes one wonder if they're really just that dishonest, or are resorting to tactics like these because they're having trouble paying their own bills.
Of course, no matter how much its spread over LET how big CC is or them misleading people to think its a DC they really ain't.

LET is its own niche of its own, sure I've still got people paying me $30 per 1GB RAM VPS and its OPENVZ OMG - It's extremely undersold though which is beautiful with E3's.

Pumping and Dumping startups has always been a thing with LET and the numerous people using CC's servers makes me wonder further.

And now, we see hardly any deadpoolers? Or is it they don't want to list everyone like before.

Anybody remember Dan Fry? VPS6 for that matter, he owns that shit and runs a number of alias' (Chriss Parr, Jermemiah) and his co-owners (Servergurus) Also has different names in there WHMCS. And guess what they use CC in places aswell.

I found this out while being employed for a short time by them, it was a mess to be honest. Glad i wasn't there long.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
So what are reasonable prices for:

• 0.5 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
  • 1 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
  • 2 GB [OpenVZ/KVM]
?
The resources/prices would be the same for OVZ/KVM ;)

• 0.5 GB [OpenVZ/KVM] $5.00
  • 1 GB [OpenVZ/KVM] $10
  • 2 GB [OpenVZ/KVM] $15
That's how I like to look at things. But that to me is on the lowend scale & without me including the other resources/prices for it.

jarland

The ocean is digital
How about this...

0.1% of 1 CPU core

32GB RAM

10GB Storage

1TB BW

$3/m

No torrents or ram disk allowed.

Open a ticket to get rejected for this fabulous offer that I'm not making.

mpkossen

I also don't think  Anthony Smith will go down with this, he know's what his doing :D
Wouldn't surprise me if he will. And given the responses on LET, I'm sure it will sell well. Especially since it's KVM, there's no "oversold" brand with KVM yet.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
I also don't think  Anthony Smith will go down with this, he know's what his doing :D
While you CAN oversell memory, it still has a much larger overhead than OVZ, he won't be cramming the 50 per node he thinks he'll be doing. No chance. It just isn't worth the hassle with KVM.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Nobody mentioned it's InceptionHosting's Anthony Smith pitching this as an idea for an oversold (2x) brand.

So he probably won't be deadpooling doing this on the side.

Whoops, forgot the link: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/11974/oversold-brand-in-chicago-8gb-kvm#latest
I'm sure Anthony thought this over more then once and unless he has some evil plan he wont sell it unless it pays for the server.

Anthony started Lowendspirit and from the beginning said he would take the loss that it would make,

I'm sure he has something similar in mind for this project. Unless he got the server dirt cheap and can do it and still make money.

Edit:

here's a long shot, Anthony asked for Windows VPS here, perhaps he decided he could get a server and sell those Windows VPS for so much money he could sell a few really cheap ones to this community.

OR, he is pulling everyones leg....

nunim

VPS Junkie
Well, the server specs he gave certainly aren't dirt cheap..."2 x E5-2620 6 x 3TB SATA + 2 x 128GB SSD, 256GB Ram, dual Gbit ports teamed"

Doesn't sound economical to me, he said once oversold so 512/8 = 64 clients per node, which doesn't sound like enough at 5-7 a month before PayPal fees. (64x$6=$384/Mo)  Colo/power isn't free nor is transit, after the server costs I don't see a whole lot of room for profit.  Out of curiosity does anyone run similar nodes and could speak about their power consumption?

My question is what are you doing with 8 GB of ram?  Giant ramdrive? 

Everyone seems to want more ram without having any practical usage for it and I can't think of many uses for massive amounts of ram without high CPU or IO load.  If I really needed 8 GB of ram I would surely get a dedicated server and not some oversold crap.  

I for one would like to see more quality small plans such 128 MB or 256 MB in good locations with high quality bandwidth mixes. It's certainly something that I feel is lacking these days on LET/here.  

SkylarM

Verified Provider
He plans to double the RAM sold, so he plans to only turn $320 per month per node with that hardware cost? Meh not my cup of tea.

2 IPs per even at $0.50 per IP is $64/m in IP addresses. + the backup space + the 3rd month free. If his goal is to force kiddy hosts into trying to offer this and go out of business then he'll be successful, but profit margins just aren't there for it to be worthwhile.

amuck-landowner