amuck-landowner

Super cheap dedicated servers!

TheLinuxBug

I wish the thanks button worked
It does, click on it on the right side. You can't really be this dumb and blind?!?!

On a side note:

Though it is not a super beefy server, 1paket in Germany does offer a server in the $29.00/month range: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1265978

Edit: For those of you who took note of this offer I will say a few things: I have used 1paket and Claudia is a great person, their support wasn't the fastest but they were always good people to deal with.   They used mostly Lambdanet peering and amsix/decix as well so really fast and reliable network infrastructure.   If you are looking for something with good EU/USA routing this is a good option.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLinuxBug

I was looking around WHT and saw another interesting deal.  I have never used this group mind you, but they have a few servers in the $30-$35 range 100mbps unmetered:

Denver, CO (USA)

Intel Atom D525 ( 2 Core x 2 ) - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD - 5 IPs - 100Mbps Dedicated - Unmetered Bandwidth - $35/mo.(Available QTY:9)

Chicago, IL. (USA)

Intel Atom D510 ( 2 Core x 2 ) - 2GB RAM - 500GB HDD - 1 IPs - 100Mbps Dedicated - Unmetered Bandwidth - $30/mo.(Available QTY:1)

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1268395

Cheers!

nunim

VPS Junkie
Is anyone intrested in splitting a dedicated server, say something like a kvm 2 cores, 4gb ram, 1 drive, all dedicated for $20/mo, or at that price point are you better off just finding your own cheap dedi?  I've been looking at the cheap dedi's and you can get a hell of a lot better specs for not much more money but I really don't need 8 cores or 16gb of ram.

willie

1. I thought the cheapest dedis were from European companies (OVH, Hetzner, online.net).  They have better internet connectivity there and I think power might be cheaper in France.

2. I have two OVH dedis (about to release one) at OVH Canada.  The DC is apparently built at the site of an old aluminum smelter, so tons of cheap Quebec hydro power.  Also I think they use outside-air cooling, a fairly new practice.  Seems hard to compete with that.

3. The feeling of a dedicated server instead of a VPS is intensely liberating.  Want to run a task that burns 100% CPU on all cores all day long, just let it rip.  Made a mistake, just fix it and run again (unlike if you're paying by the hour with cloud hosting in which case you spend hours screwing around trying to salvage the output from the first run). Tons of disk space and actual (not virtual) ram, and in OVH's case ridiculous bandwidth.   Some of their plans are more attractive than others, but the SP1 (quad core i5-3570S, 2x2TB disk space, 16gb ram, 100 mbit unmetered net, all for $60/month) just crushes any combination of VPS you can get for that expenditure. 

If you want a super cheap low capacity dedi, maybe ARM hosting (racks of raspberry pis or whatever) will be cheaper than x86 offerings soon.

Ivan

Verified Provider
Simple question here, based on you guys' opinions which would be a better deal? 

// Datashack

Quad Dual-Core Opteron 8220

• 2.8Ghz - 4 Processors 
  • 8 Physical Cores
  • 32GB DDR2 ECC
  • 500GB
  • 20TB Monthly Transfer
  • Linux/Windows* OS
  • 5 usable IPv4 Address
  • /64 IPv6 Address Block**
  • Remote Reboot Access
  • $59.00/month

or

// OVH

• Intel i5 3570S
  • 4 Cores / 4 Threads
  • 3.1GHz / 3.8GHz Turbo Boost
  • 16GB RAM
  • 2x 2TB SATA 2 
  • $59.00 p/month

Uses would be maybe a small VPS node and a personal dedi :)

willie

1. The i5 will probably be faster despite having half as many total cores.  The extra ram of the AMD could be useful for some things though.

2. A dedi with just one disk (no RAID) is scary, especially on that older server where the drive may already be beat to hell.  It's one thing if you're using it as a cache replicating data that already exists elsewhere, but for general use I'd definitely add a second drive.  Software raid 1 works fine.

3. OVH issues just one ipv4 address to those cheap servers, though there's supposedly some "failover" trick to get 3 addresses.  If you want more, you have to pay for the "professional" package.  I don't know if you care about this.  You do get a /64 ipv6 block if that turns you on.

4. OVH is notoriously intolerant to any sort of abuse including inbound DDOS.  They cancel ALL your servers if that happens, from what I've heard.  So I couldn't see hosting random people's VPS's on them or doing anything likely to attract attacks.  For quiet personal use, they are great.

5. I wonder if it might be possible to upgrade the hardware of that AMD box, by buying 4-core or larger CPU's on ebay.  It's likely that there are drop-in replacements (depending on socket type) for the dual core cpu's.  Since they are still obsolete, you can sometimes find them dirt cheap.

6. OVH network capacity is tremendous.  I've done multi-hour (50+ GB) outbound transfers (Quebec to NY) and really kept up the full 100Mbit/s the whole time.  This is from the KS1 plan (dual core i3-2130, 8gb).  I now also have the SP1 you mention and it's great.  It runs my application about 1.7x faster than the i3, if that matters.  This reflects the relative passmark scores pretty closely.  But, it's desktop hardware, has non-ECC ram, etc.  The AMD box is maybe more "serious" though older.

6.5 (added) One annoying thing about the cheap OVH servers is that the INTERNAL network interface is capped at 100 mbit.  I can see limiting the internet bandwidth to that, but it is chintzy to have transfer that slow to other boxes in the same data center.  It took around 24h to transfer 1TB of data between two boxes because of that.  Their more expensive servers do have gbit ports.

7. I'm really surprised at the low hosting cost for something as electricity hungry as that quad socket AMD.  It probably uses over 4 amps of power when fully loaded.  Power in DC's is at a huge premium these days, so most of those boxes are retired.

If you are ok with European location, you could also look at Hetzner servers including from their online robot.

Ivan

Verified Provider
1. The i5 will probably be faster despite having half as many total cores.  The extra ram of the AMD could be useful for some things though.

2. A dedi with just one disk (no RAID) is scary, especially on that older server where the drive may already be beat to hell.  It's one thing if you're using it as a cache replicating data that already exists elsewhere, but for general use I'd definitely add a second drive.  Software raid 1 works fine.

3. OVH issues just one ipv4 address to those cheap servers, though there's supposedly some "failover" trick to get 3 addresses.  If you want more, you have to pay for the "professional" package.  I don't know if you care about this.  You do get a /64 ipv6 block if that turns you on.

4. OVH is notoriously intolerant to any sort of abuse including inbound DDOS.  They cancel ALL your servers if that happens, from what I've heard.  So I couldn't see hosting random people's VPS's on them or doing anything likely to attract attacks.  For quiet personal use, they are great.

5. I wonder if it might be possible to upgrade the hardware of that AMD box, by buying 4-core or larger CPU's on ebay.  It's likely that there are drop-in replacements (depending on socket type) for the dual core cpu's.  Since they are still obsolete, you can sometimes find them dirt cheap.

6. OVH network capacity is tremendous.  I've down multi-hour (50+ GB) outbound transfers and really kept up the full 100Mbit/s the whole time.  This is from the KS1 plan (dual core i3-2130, 8gb).  I now also have the SP1 you mention and it's great.  It runs my application about 1.7x faster than the i3, if that matters.  This reflects the relative passmark scores pretty closely.  But, it's desktop hardware, has non-ECC ram, etc.  The AMD box is maybe more "serious" though older.

7. I'm really surprised at the low hosting cost for something as electricity hungry as that quad socket AMD.  It probably uses over 4 amps of power when fully loaded.  Power in DC's is at a huge premium these days, so most of those boxes are retired.
Thanks for the in depth reply of yours. Nothing too power-hungry that I plan to run, just something for personal use and a personal VPS node, is what I plan. Better yet Datashack provides a /29 IPv4 block so yeah. 

willie

Interesting.  That is a similar price and configuration to the OVH KS1, except with a 4-core cpu (an upgrade from earlier when they were using the 2-core low power version, I think).  The cpu has no hyperthreading so it is probably comparable to the i5-3570S in the OVH SP1.  By my measurement the SP1 has about 1.7x the cpu performance of the KS1, ymmv.  OVH has the advantage (depending) of being available in North America.  The SP1 plan is more expensive ($60/mo or about 46 euro) but has 2x the ram and disk space.  

Heh, it looks like the dedibox classic plan is not actually available: https://console.online.net/fr/order/server

I remember checking for it before and it was never available.  So oh well.  There doesn't seem to be any shortage of OVH stuff.

Since the thread is supposedly about super cheap, I note that in that link above, they do have their 9.99 euro dedi, though it is pretty low-end and again an entry level Kimsufi seems more attractive.

willie

Looking at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/pt7_cpu_list.php it claims a dual Opteron 8220 runs at 3651 Passmark, which is much better than I expected.  So four of them would be in the 7000 range.  That is the same general ballpark as the i5-3570 (a little slower, but the extra ram is good).

Is that a normal datashack offer?  I don't see it on their site anywhere.

Ivan

Verified Provider

willie

Oh I see, datashack.com goes to a completely different company, looks like some domain squatting going on ;-).

But, datashack.net says that Opteron 8220 plan is out of stock.

WorldStream

For NL on the budget there is the likes of SnelServer (Though not so cheap these days) Using SmartDC.

Worldstream.nl << An old fav back in the day, cheap pricing as ever checkout there special page for the older gen CPU's/ Deals.

Only problem over in EU is IPV4 pricing and stingy providers wanting to keep a hold of them.. :p
Dear,

Thank you for the thumbs up!

IPv4 is becoming a major issue on the Internet. New IPv4 addresses are only available on market places and not through RIPE anymore. Only if you are a new RIPE LIR, you can get a /22 subnet from RIPE which are 4 /24 ranges. Therefore IPv4 addresses are not easily given out with a server anymore. Hope you all understand!

Regards,

Dirk

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Last call on a Dual Core Atom @ $20/month. I am done with it and if there's anyone else who wants it, let me know.

amuck-landowner