amuck-landowner

SwiftVM Shutting Down

rsk

Verified Provider
If you are new to the hosting business, I suggest you plan way ahead.

It should be completely normal to operate at a loss for the first 6months or even a year. That should be "part of the plan".

They operated for 5 months, with prices that are very low, trying to be competitive. On a serious note, if I was to start all over again with VPS hosting, it will be premium and not budget priced. I'd rather have clients who can help me sustain my business, than to have 100 clients who pay 2.5/month for a VPS.

Just my thoughts :)

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
A lot of people try to get in the industry by simply having cheaper services than the next business in the market. They soon find out you need to turn a profit just to maintain such services. The more clients you have, the more likely things will go wrong, which is hard to manage with razor thin profit margins.

Dylan

I never felt good about SwiftVM. It seemed like Chris left Nick only to blatantly copy his services but with lower prices.

That's not exactly a sold business plan; nor is it particularly ethical.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
They seemed like quite a nice operation, with those packages in the SSD/Lowend market then its hard to compete no wonder it happened.

However i would of thought they'd fight a bit more to regain control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Verified Provider
If anyone wants to stay in AIS, we can offer a new home at the same prices and resources. Won't be SSD, but there's not many other people on the server.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
If anyone wants to stay in AIS, we can offer a new home at the same prices and resources. Won't be SSD, but there's not many other people on the server.
No, I'm not too attached to AIS or San Diego. For the sites I was running there, a more central location would be better. As I said, I just went with them because they offered free services. I see some are saying they weren't very "solid" in some if the ways they operated their business, but Chris still impressed me. My billing account got broken in to once by a Chinese IP, and he gave me a phone call to check on it. Nice.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I'm sure they are nice guys but their business idea must have been tight from day 1.

They are going out of business because they couldn't fill a node with customers !?

Well... Right now it looks like they sold out after all, to SupremeBytes. Let us see how that turns out.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Well... Right now it looks like they sold out after all, to SupremeBytes. Let us see how that turns out.
I'm not particularly impressed by the takeover considering that the email I received called SwiftVM "SwitchVM".

azzavps

Verified Provider
as a provider its really hard to keep offering the low prices. please expect good performing vps's ( which is fair )

This does not come cheap from a node setup point of view.

We will need to review our prices as well.  I think the really cheap vps's tend to attract a client that may not pay on time anyway, or misuse the service.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
I'm not particularly impressed by the takeover considering that the email I received called SwiftVM "SwitchVM".
SupremeBytes, LLC Acquires SwiftVM

COLUMBUS, OHIO - 16 JULY, 2013

As part of SupremeBytes continuing expansion, we are pleased to announce the recent acquisition of SwiftVM, a hosting services company. With the advantage of a solid infrastructure, based in Los Angeles, CA, this acquisition of SwiftVM’s will encompass all current customer base and all services within. The new expansion of SupremeBytes, a forerunner in virtual machine hosting services, will continue to provide superb hosting to all SwiftVM's customers.

Both organizations are working side by side to ensure a seamless migration process. A Better Business Bureau accredited company, SupremeBytes understands the quality support SwiftVM’s customers are accustomed to, and will continue to provide top level support.

"The virtual hosting industry is fast expanding, and customers require, fast, flexible, and solid infrastructures. This is exactly what SupremeBytes provides, especially as we continue to grow" - Damien Burke, CEO.

About SupremeBytes

SupremeBytes, LLC was founded in February of 2010 in Columbus, Ohio. Still locally based in Columbus, SupremeBytes provides virtualization, reseller, domain services, and shared hosting solutions worldwide. From a single cPanel dedicated server, SupremeBytes is now a competitive presence on the local and global hosting market, spanning 3 countries, and still expanding today.

SupremeBytes, LLC

P.O. Box 13746

Columbus, Ohio 43213

United States

Toll-Free: +1 (888) 622-2983

Local: +1 (614) 636-4875

Fax: +1 (614) 636-4877

www.supremebytes.com

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Now that I look back over my e-mails, I see that the one I'm referring to was sent out by SwiftVM. Highly ironic.

Dear Customers,

We have acquired SwiftVM and you can stay where you are! We will continue to operate the servers your virtual servers are hosted on over the next few months as we transfer you all into our infrastructure. We will have more information posted on the website shortly.

Don’t leave yet! SwitchVM is here to stay!

Warm regards,

SupremeBytes, LLC | SwiftVM.com
It's worded as being from SupremeBytes though.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
Sorry SeriesN,

That was a error made by one of our staff members. That email was never meant to be seen at all.

I apologize for the mistake of "switchvm" rather than "swiftvm"

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Sorry SeriesN,

That was a error made by one of our staff members. That email was never meant to be seen at all.

I apologize for the mistake of "switchvm" rather than "swiftvm"
Cheers man. If you want, you can buy that domain off me :p, Not in the mode for creating another brand.

vanarp

@DamienSB, I am curious to understand how you want to retain existing customers at those low prices. Are you prepared enough to absorb the losses for a while?

DamienSB

Verified Provider
@vanarp, Yes we are prepared. We have been operating successfully for 3 years, and have been offering VPS services for a little over a year now. Our decision to acquire SwiftVM was based off of many factors.

Additionally, we have a full cabinet in Los Angeles - and we're fully capable to provide the same-if-not-better level of service in roughly the same geographical area. We expect to maintain operation of all current nodes for at least 1 additional month to allow for a much smoother transition for the customers.

We have already integrated our billing systems and expect to have everything billing and account related sorted out by the end of business tomorrow. As noted previously, we will release more information about the acquisition as time progresses.

Jeffrey

@vanarp, Yes we are prepared. We have been operating successfully for 3 years, and have been offering VPS services for a little over a year now. Our decision to acquire SwiftVM was based off of many factors.

Additionally, we have a full cabinet in Los Angeles - and we're fully capable to provide the same-if-not-better level of service in roughly the same geographical area. We expect to maintain operation of all current nodes for at least 1 additional month to allow for a much smoother transition for the customers.

We have already integrated our billing systems and expect to have everything billing and account related sorted out by the end of business tomorrow. As noted previously, we will release more information about the acquisition as time progresses.
How does the specs of your current nodes compare to SwiftVM's?

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
I never felt good about SwiftVM. It seemed like Chris left Nick only to blatantly copy his services but with lower prices.

That's not exactly a sold business plan; nor is it particularly ethical.
I let Chris go around the time I sold MCLayer since our support needs were really low at that point. I did take issue with what he and Jordy did, but we hashed it out over email way back. He was more than willing to cease all "pure" SSD options in order to regain my respect, but I didn't want to be that guy. I'm not sure how much they were both on the same page since Chris told me before they even started that they had no intention of competing with RamNode. Oh well - doesn't matter in the end.

amuck-landowner