amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
wTGaX6g.png

[01:39] <~Francisco> i'm happy, i found a way to get my share of pony into the design w/o having a konami pony rape video

[01:39] <~Francisco> and that day, buyvm became a tiny bit more professional

[01:39] <~Francisco> penis

[01:42] <+vSquare> relevent

[01:42] <+vSquare> https://twitter.com/FrantechCA/status/580627577150275584

[01:42] <+taryn> Francisco: ahh the penis game

Oh #frantech, never change.

Francisco

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
I was always the kid who nobody wanted to play video games with.  I grew up to be the adult who nobody wants to play video games with.  :-D

When I was working my way through my twenties as an amiable, minor-league L2 NOC at Kroger, I worked with one of the guys who was the Power Glove guy.  You know the type.  Every I.T. or call center has one. Gangling, raver-type dude who went to the game parties after work, smoked on a giant bag of weed, and still kicked everybody's ass in the room. We're still friends, and to this day, he says he's going to get me to "play like a real man".  Yeaaah, thanks Mike. I mean J.P. :p  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacoxHFYvZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Like 4 of my tomato plants have been eaten down to the stem by something... Went out to put tomato cages around them today and discovered that.

I just planted some mint in some containers on my porch. Smells nice and will get great morning sun. Got some other things that need to get planted as well.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Careful with the mint plants.  

Back when I lived in Colorado my neighbor planted them in their garden (right next to my own garden).  

Later those mint plants started a hostile takeover of my side of the garden.  My strawberry plants were starting to be overcrowded by the invading mint plants.  

Of course every once in a while we'd clear out the mints, but they'd come back in larger numbers.  In the end the mint plants took over a pretty sizeable amount of our garden.

Take heed of my warnings.

Or ya know...  Maybe we just got too lazy dealing with it an it's been a long time since I last saw this garden.  Maybe I'm over exaggerating it. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The mint is actually in pots, so it shouldn't spread and reek havoc. With that said, a yard full of nice smelling mint wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Was a nice day for a walk. Got a little quiet area to relax and read. :)

umLUsvX.jpg

9IIXyUs.jpg

Wanted to go lay down in the shade and take a nap... maybe next time.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I was in Vienna a few weeks ago and ended up going to this Cuban Bar named Ron Con Soda with so many different brands and ages of rum.

Totally worth going there sometime.  The Bartender/Owner is absolutely hilarious and knows his Rum.  He has rum from Cuba, Jamaica, Guatemala, etc.  Each with different age (some ranging up to 26 years old I think?).  Totally worth a visit, I can't recommend it enough.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
There's gotta be a way to utilize QEMU 2.3's IvyBridge support under SolusVM rather than just starting the VM with --cpu-host.  Seems like I could build QEMU prior to SolusVM and set it's emulator path accordingly. Just seems like, as with OpenVZ, SolusVM's idea of performance is, well, a couple years behind, at least. Not surprised to find myself using the "custom config" option more and more...

[ 0.012925] ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
[ 0.012926] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1290 V2 @ 3.70GHz (fam: 06, model: 3a, stepping: 09)
[ 0.012936] TSC deadline timer enabled
[ 0.012948] Performance Events: 16-deep LBR, IvyBridge events, Intel PMU driver.
[ 0.013000] ... version: 2
[ 0.013000] ... bit width: 48
[ 0.013000] ... generic registers: 4
[ 0.013000] ... value mask: 0000ffffffffffff
[ 0.013000] ... max period: 000000007fffffff
[ 0.013000] ... fixed-purpose events: 3
[ 0.013000] ... event mask: 000000070000000f
[ 0.013803] NMI watchdog: enabled on all CPUs, permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.

----------------------------

Code:
[    0.029793] CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz stepping 04
[    0.029997] Performance Events: 16-deep LBR, IvyBridge events, Intel PMU driver.
[    0.029997] ... version:                2
[    0.029997] ... bit width:              48
[    0.029997] ... generic registers:      4
[    0.029997] ... value mask:             0000ffffffffffff
[    0.029997] ... max period:             000000007fffffff
[    0.029997] ... fixed-purpose events:   3
[    0.029997] ... event mask:             000000070000000f
[    0.034036] NMI watchdog enabled, takes one hw-pmu counter.
[    0.034207] Booting Node   0, Processors  #1
That or it's newer kernel time...

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yeah...  It's either more custom configs or custom scripting >.>

Also haha.  E3-1290 v2, that's something you don't see everyday.  I'm so used to E3-1230v2s or E3-1280v2s that I didn't know they made E3-1290v2s.  

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
There's gotta be a way to utilize QEMU 2.3's IvyBridge support under SolusVM rather than just starting the VM with --cpu-host.  Seems like I could build QEMU prior to SolusVM and set it's emulator path accordingly. Just seems like, as with OpenVZ, SolusVM's idea of performance is, well, a couple years behind, at least. Not surprised to find myself using the "custom config" option more and more...

[ 0.012925] ..TIMER: vector=0x30 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
[ 0.012926] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1290 V2 @ 3.70GHz (fam: 06, model: 3a, stepping: 09)
[ 0.012936] TSC deadline timer enabled
[ 0.012948] Performance Events: 16-deep LBR, IvyBridge events, Intel PMU driver.
[ 0.013000] ... version: 2
[ 0.013000] ... bit width: 48
[ 0.013000] ... generic registers: 4
[ 0.013000] ... value mask: 0000ffffffffffff
[ 0.013000] ... max period: 000000007fffffff
[ 0.013000] ... fixed-purpose events: 3
[ 0.013000] ... event mask: 000000070000000f
[ 0.013803] NMI watchdog: enabled on all CPUs, permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.
----------------------------

Code:
[    0.029793] CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz stepping 04
[    0.029997] Performance Events: 16-deep LBR, IvyBridge events, Intel PMU driver.
[    0.029997] ... version:                2
[    0.029997] ... bit width:              48
[    0.029997] ... generic registers:      4
[    0.029997] ... value mask:             0000ffffffffffff
[    0.029997] ... max period:             000000007fffffff
[    0.029997] ... fixed-purpose events:   3
[    0.029997] ... event mask:             000000070000000f
[    0.034036] NMI watchdog enabled, takes one hw-pmu counter.
[    0.034207] Booting Node   0, Processors  #1
That or it's newer kernel time...
Why wouldn't you want to use 'host'? Without it you don't gain the perks of your CPU, like the uber AES/SSL performance bumps. The only time i've seen a need (and the only reason we added a stallion toggle) was there was a batch of kernels mid 3.x series that was trying to patch intel CPU bugs and it would panic the VM early into boot time.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Tonights big project was working on the OpenVZ/KVM comparison page.

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/openvz_vs_kvm/

Those 2 freakin' images you see on there took me the better part of 2 hours to get them aligned perfectly, coloured perfectly, etc. Some of the things Korey built for us we didn't get the PSD's for so I had to go eye dropping for it to recreate it. Not a big deal, he would've ended up sending me ~80 PSD's instead of the ~10 he sent me.

Need some adjustments to the wording, likely chop some parts off if they ramble too much, but overall really happy with it.

I made some big changes to the 'stallion' block as well:

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/features/

I changed it into a ~50%/~50% block, changed it from 2 columns of information and added sliding images. The original design had us using really shrunk down screenshots but they didn't look good at all due to pixelization. I'll probably add a full screen modal as well for those images, but for now I'm really happy with how it's coming along.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Tonights big project was working on the OpenVZ/KVM comparison page.

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/openvz_vs_kvm/

Those 2 freakin' images you see on there took me the better part of 2 hours to get them aligned perfectly, coloured perfectly, etc. Some of the things Korey built for us we didn't get the PSD's for so I had to go eye dropping for it to recreate it. Not a big deal, he would've ended up sending me ~80 PSD's instead of the ~10 he sent me.

Need some adjustments to the wording, likely chop some parts off if they ramble too much, but overall really happy with it.

I made some big changes to the 'stallion' block as well:

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/features/

I changed it into a ~50%/~50% block, changed it from 2 columns of information and added sliding images. The original design had us using really shrunk down screenshots but they didn't look good at all due to pixelization. I'll probably add a full screen modal as well for those images, but for now I'm really happy with how it's coming along.

Francisco
Looks great!  What I love about that image is that without even glancing at the giant wall of text it shows you plain and simple (without much thought either) what OpenVZ is.  

Love the rest of the graphics as well.  Pretty clean cut.  However one thing is they stand out pretty bright while rest of the page itself is a bit more passive (I don't know... maybe I'm just weird).  

I made similar not-as-pretty graphics for my software package for conferences.  

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Looks great!  What I love about that image is that without even glancing at the giant wall of text it shows you plain and simple (without much thought either) what OpenVZ is.  

Love the rest of the graphics as well.  Pretty clean cut.  However one thing is they stand out pretty bright while rest of the page itself is a bit more passive (I don't know... maybe I'm just weird).  

I made similar not-as-pretty graphics for my software package for conferences.
The page is a little long in the tooth to me so we're working on shrinking chunks of it that are rambling. I removed a lot of the bold things as well as a whole paragraph that I felt was mud slinging w/o actually naming any other brands.

Still more sentence structure work to do but for sure it's coming along nicely. I'll likely get the "contact us" page done today as well as a "10 reasons you need pony in your life" page.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Still more sentence structure work to do but for sure it's coming along nicely. I'll likely get the "contact us" page done today as well as a "10 reasons you need pony in your life" page.

Francisco
Not the glitter juice from a pony routine.  I keep looking for herds of two legged unicorns.  Have some of those in the stable?  No humans in fur suits, please.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Tonights project was more work on our locations pages.

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/location/lasvegas/

I think it's turning out pretty solid :) As with the others, tweaking is needed but the main thing was to get things split out and into the framework.

Korey's original design had us using a single datacenters page but it would've been pretty damn long once we started adding networking information in there.

We bumped the font size of the entire site by 2 points to make it a little bit easier to read and it makes a world of difference. Doing that broke a couple places, namely the footer, but the footer is pretty franned as of right now anyway.

Francisco

amuck-landowner