amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

Munzy

https://clamhost.com/

What do you sell again, is it 20Gbps DDOS protection? 40Gbps DDOS protection? Maybe 80Gbps DDOS protection?  please fix your site....

Ohh wait it is 100Gbps protection, see at the bottom.....

clamhost.png

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Shawarma is not exactly an european thing :) Which countries did you visit by the way?
Haha didn't mean it as an european thing.  Just was kinda making a joke about how there were a ton of Turkish people there with delicious Turkish food.  Of course I also had some good local cuisines ;) 

I was in Germany and Austria.  Good times.  

rds100

Verified Provider
Yes, there are many (millions) of Turks in Germany, some of then even never bother to learn to speak German.

You should try visiting Italy next time, and try the Italian food :)

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yes, there are many (millions) of Turks in Germany, some of then even never bother to learn to speak German.

You should try visiting Italy next time, and try the Italian food :)
Haha I would if it was a vacation trip.  Hell I'd probably would have visited the scandanavian countries as well. 

Unfortunately it was for work.  I would love to visit Italy sometime though and actually have real Italian food.  

I hear the real way to make pasta is to undercook it a bit.  

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Today's installment of Cloud Price Wars: Italy's largest host Aruba lowers prices to 1 euro monthly for a 1GB VMWare VPS...available in 6 DCs in 5 countries

9gsenHh.png
dYoWTqY.png
f2oqzo1.png

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Haha didn't mean it as an european thing.  Just was kinda making a joke about how there were a ton of Turkish people there with delicious Turkish food.  Of course I also had some good local cuisines ;)

I was in Germany and Austria.  Good times.  
Austria sadly is full of Austrians :(

No kangaroos tho, i want to try their meat as steak or smth but it's impossible to get...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looks good! No clutter, just content focused - from what I can see. Really nice.
Planning on releasing Kate as opensource shareware?

Today's installment of Cloud Price Wars: Italy's largest host Aruba lowers prices to 1 euro monthly for a 1GB VMWare VPS...available in 6 DCs in 5 countries
Are sales numbers that bad all over the world to drop VPS to 1 euro a month?   Guess it is or just more marketing funded market grab.   Better than free and get to name/address check the account holders for a 1 euro.  That's what it is.

Question is what is month two and onward.  If 1 euro also, that is just screwed.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Are sales numbers that bad all over the world to drop VPS to 1 euro a month?   Guess it is or just more marketing funded market grab.   Better than free and get to name/address check the account holders for a 1 euro.  That's what it is.

Question is what is month two and onward.  If 1 euro also, that is just screwed.

The 1 euro plans are marketing loss leaders. Months two and onward are also 1 euro  which is higher than the $0 annual loss leader teaser plans offered by Rackspace (developer+, up to $50 of services free every month for an entire year, Xen) or VC favorite Mirantis (4GB Ram, 4 CPU's, 2 IPs, 100 GB disk, KVM, free for a year...company has raised over $100 million in VC funding so it can afford to give 4GB plans away)

The cloud customer acquisition / business strategy at many larger companies (Rackspace, Mirantis, OVH, Aruba, etc) looks something like this:

loss leader promos > low margin public cloud > high margin Private clouds = #winning

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Rackspace's approach I understand.  Build small to grow big to need more.  Hiked up paid services that rapidly eat that free credit issued pool.

Mirantis, yikes, shit name.  Upsell is what?  Just a market grab.

Providers - legit business ones - need to take note at this stuff because selling product becomes a lot harder where downward price pressure like that and being done by big companies flush with cash.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Mirantis, yikes, shit name.  Upsell is what?  Just a market grab.
The upsell is the very expensive Open Stack tools and services they offer (the reason investors are flinging money at the company).  They're not a traditional host.  The hosting (which is offered through a partnership with IBM/Softlayer who also donated 1,500 dedicated servers to Mirantis' Rally project) is mainly a way to showcase their OpenStack tools.

Providers - legit business ones - need to take note at this stuff because selling product becomes a lot harder where downward price pressure like that and being done by big companies flush with cash.
The companies most at risk are the low end push button host in a box operators with limited technical abilities who don't bring anything but a low price to the table (think GVH, most of the "Buffalo OVZ" outfits, etc).  The small companies that bring something to the table: innovative features, superior customer service or performance, etc, etc should weather the storm.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
I was there for a week myself. England and Germany was beautiful.

So I finally got back from my 2 week trip from Europe.

Holy crap it's awesome. I never realized how awesome Europe was until I actually got there. So much history, so much good food, so much fun times. I mean yeah work/business was involved, however the time off I had there was an absolute blast.

I totally recommend everyone take the opportunity to visit your local shawarma place.

amuck-landowner