amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Today I shared this on my Facebook as a joke.  I even added *DO NOT ANSWER TRUTHFULLY* to the title.  

10170876_690530374319467_8383566815593379083_n.jpg

Three fucking people answered truthfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Today I shared this on my Facebook as a joke.  I even added *DO NOT ANSWER TRUTHFULLY* to the title.  

greyadmin1

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Responsible Relationships And You:  Facebook Manners

rofl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROYzrm5SBM

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

greenhunter2

Ladies.  You can all call me xXxGreenHunter2xXx.  I will be taking phone numbers and emails now for your proposal of intercourse.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I was watching excerpts from We Feed the World and the part where JZ says, "Last year, 52% of the gross world product, that means all the wealth produced in the world in a year, was controlled by 500 global corporations" reminded me of a study for PLoS One done by complex systems theorists in Zurich:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.500-revealed--the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world.html

mg21228354.500-3_600.jpg

Not that I have the will or the means to do so, but I was thinking it would be amusing if a similar study were done re: the web hosting market. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... and the scary list to @HN-Matt's post above

Code:
The top 50 of the 147 superconnected companies
1. Barclays plc
2. Capital Group Companies Inc
3. FMR Corporation
4. AXA
5. State Street Corporation
6. JP Morgan Chase & Co 
7. Legal & General Group plc 
8. Vanguard Group Inc
9. UBS AG
10. Merrill Lynch & Co Inc 
11. Wellington Management Co LLP
12. Deutsche Bank AG
13. Franklin Resources Inc
14. Credit Suisse Group
15. Walton Enterprises LLC
16. Bank of New York Mellon Corp
17. Natixis
18. Goldman Sachs Group Inc
19. T Rowe Price Group Inc
20. Legg Mason Inc
21. Morgan Stanley
22. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc
23. Northern Trust Corporation
24. Société Générale
25. Bank of America Corporation
26. Lloyds TSB Group plc 
27. Invesco plc
28. Allianz SE 29. TIAA 
30. Old Mutual Public Limited Company
31. Aviva plc 
32. Schroders plc
33. Dodge & Cox
34. Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc*
35. Sun Life Financial Inc
36. Standard Life plc
37. CNCE
38. Nomura Holdings Inc
39. The Depository Trust Company 
40. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance 
41. ING Groep NV 
42. Brandes Investment Partners LP 
43. Unicredito Italiano SPA 
44. Deposit Insurance Corporation of Japan 
45. Vereniging Aegon 
46. BNP Paribas 
47. Affiliated Managers Group Inc 
48. Resona Holdings Inc 
49. Capital Group International Inc 
50. China Petrochemical Group Company

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Imaginary projects: a satire of LowEndTalk called lowendtalk.io or [your favourite domain extension]. The forum would require no active participation. It would be programmed to grab and reproduce threads from lowendtalk.com. Each thread would be parsed and those with content in favour of ColoCrossing set to auto-sink.

(I was thinking of )

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Imaginary projects: a satire of LowEndTalk called lowendtalk.io or [your favourite domain extension]. The forum would require no active participation. It would be programmed to grab and reproduce threads from lowendtalk.com. Each thread would be parsed and those with content in favour of ColoCrossing set to auto-sink.

(I was thinking of )
There is lowendtalk.me which someone made - appears to just be a front end proxy for LET.

Probably could do a bit of interesting with parsing things since lots of the site are already parsed.

Colocrossing content set to autosink would be an interesting view of the site.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Subject [Global] Scheduled Maintenance Virtual Servers & Cloud Servers platforms [update]

From LeaseWeb - NOC

As part of our commitment to continuously improve the level of service we provide, the following announcement is being sent to you, to inform you about patching maintenance on the Virtual Servers & Cloud Servers platform.

WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

Between May 27th and  15th of July 2015, between 07:00 & 16:00 (CEST), LeaseWeb will perform scheduled maintenance on LeaseWeb's Virtual Servers & Cloud Servers platform. During this maintenance, we will perform security patching on our systems.

WHY ARE YOU PERFORMING THIS MAINTENANCE?

LeaseWeb is committed to provide you with the best possible service. To support our continuous growth and guarantee to improve our level of service, we need to keep our systems up to date.

WHEN EXACTLY WILL MY SERVICE BE IMPACTED?

During this maintenance the servers will be migrated to apply patching. This should not have any impact on your services, but might lead to some performance degradation.

Guiness Book of World Records: longest maintenance period on record

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Tuesday night reading material:

EFF has released its newest report charting which companies promise to uphold best practices in privacy and transparency. The report analyzes the published policies of 24 major technology companies, including Facebook, Google, Twitter, and ISPs like AT&T and Comcast. While we've released this report for four years, this year we made the criteria more challenging to reflect the higher standards we've come to expect from technology companies.

In this year's Who Has Your Back, nine companies earned stars in every category available to them: Adobe, Apple, CREDO, Dropbox, Sonic, Wickr, Wikimedia, Wordpress.com, and Yahoo. Three companies scored especially poorly: AT&T, Verizon, and WhatsApp.
summary: https://www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-government-data-requests-2015

full report (74 pages): https://www.eff.org/files/2015/06/18/who_has_your_back_2015_protecting_your_data_from_government_requests_20150618.pdf

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
In a couple days here, if you guys smell something kinda fruity, maybe a little skunky while you're at your desks next week, fear not, it's just marijuana decriminalization happening here in Oregon. Might get a little smokey on the freeways on the 1st.  

Kind of a funny story about that... On my wedding day, at the reception, I had my jacket off, and my best man slipped a single joint in the left coat pocket and didn't tell me about it.  I found it the next day when I was going for my cigarettes.  I had to stay somewhat close to Portland at the time, so we spent a week at a VERY expensive hotel downtown, right on the esplanade. 

Day three comes around, and I'm sore as hell from all the walking, talking, socializing, uncomfortable shoes ...the wedding night, let's be real... Anyhow, it was a beautiful day, and well, I decided, what the heck, it's there, my back's killing me. I took it down to the waterfront, picked out a nice quiet spot near the river, took a look around, and lit up.  Kicked my back up to a big tree, and just watched the boats pass by, not hurting anyone. Turned around to put it out, and a bicycle cop was parked right behind me, waiting. What could I even say?  All I could do was smile coyly, and choke out "Um...I didn't do it?"  The cop... he couldn't hold it in anymore, and just started laughing. So I told him the truth.  

"Alright, let me see your room key and the wedding ring."

I stuck my left hand out somewhat crooked, kissy-kissy like, and he lost it again.  

"You're .... on your honeymoon?"

"Please....be gentile."

"Learned your lesson? You're gonna keep that stuff inside right?"

"One time deal. Practical joke from my best man."

"Alright man, congrats, but if I smell it when I roll back here later, I can't cut you another break. I'll have to write you up for it."

"Won't need to.  I'm off to watch Mr. Ed."

He held another laugh under his breath and rode away.  I watched the boats for a while, and went back to my wife.

What?  Are my containers of lesser quality because of a single day three years ago?  Mhmm.   :D

Peace.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
In a couple days here, if you guys smell something kinda fruity, maybe a little skunky while you're at your desks next week, fear not, it's just marijuana decriminalization happening here in Oregon. Might get a little smokey on the freeways on the 1st.  

Kind of a funny story about that... On my wedding day, at the reception, I had my jacket off, and my best man slipped a single joint in the left coat pocket and didn't tell me about it.  I found it the next day when I was going for my cigarettes.  I had to stay somewhat close to Portland at the time, so we spent a week at a VERY expensive hotel downtown, right on the esplanade. 

Day three comes around, and I'm sore as hell from all the walking, talking, socializing, uncomfortable shoes ...the wedding night, let's be real... Anyhow, it was a beautiful day, and well, I decided, what the heck, it's there, my back's killing me. I took it down to the waterfront, picked out a nice quiet spot near the river, took a look around, and lit up.  Kicked my back up to a big tree, and just watched the boats pass by, not hurting anyone. Turned around to put it out, and a bicycle cop was parked right behind me, waiting. What could I even say?  All I could do was smile coyly, and choke out "Um...I didn't do it?"  The cop... he couldn't hold it in anymore, and just started laughing. So I told him the truth.  

"Alright, let me see your room key and the wedding ring."

I stuck my left hand out somewhat crooked, kissy-kissy like, and he lost it again.  

"You're .... on your honeymoon?"

"Please....be gentile."

"Learned your lesson? You're gonna keep that stuff inside right?"

"One time deal. Practical joke from my best man."

"Alright man, congrats, but if I smell it when I roll back here later, I can't cut you another break. I'll have to write you up for it."

"Won't need to.  I'm off to watch Mr. Ed."

He held another laugh under his breath and rode away.  I watched the boats for a while, and went back to my wife.

What?  Are my containers of lesser quality because of a single day three years ago?  Mhmm.   :D

Peace.
Man lucky lucky thing.  

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Man lucky lucky thing.  
People here aren't really worried about it much. Jails are full of meth-heads and real criminals, so giving me a ticket over a half-smoked joint would just make extra work for him anyway. Portlanders tend to think of it akin to having a drink or two at the end of the day.  For me, it was kind of like "okay, married now, added responsibilities, and have talked about kids, have it and call it good", etc. But hey, at least those who smoke it now might not have to worry as much about the paranoia part. Other than a couple times in high school, that about did it for my rebellious stage. :D

amuck-landowner