amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Google announced a new machine learning platform at GCPNext16 today and on the same day  we get someone saying "machine learning..this shit is amazing...I recommend". Coincidence? Nope. Paid shill for Google.  :p

https://cloud.google.com/products/machine-learning/

Ya caught me.  How'd you know?  Must be all that Florine in the water.  My grandmother always said Florine is the mind control drug of the US Government.  Bless Nana's soul. 

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
That's the whole schtick.. People are obsolete, the computers think and tell you what to do and believe, even politically speaking.

It's a strange new world.  

"I have come here to perpetually cull data and kick ass... and I'm never out of data."

The thing is that Roddy Piper eventually runs out of bubble gum, so how can this tension be resolved without paradoxically perceiving the strange new Nada as that which he had come to destroy?

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
12814694_10153294296050738_2012170372487744128_n.jpg

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So have they managed to transcend the infinite potential for 'ship of fools' sightings with Big Data & AI yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
//begin rant

Quote from WHT:

if a company is using KVM, they won't be able oversell on the memory level

I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day hosting customers will not be misled by hosting providers spewing this bullshit that only OpenVZ RAM can be oversold and KVM/Xen/VMware memory can't be oversold.  I have a dream that one day the hosting community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its truth in advertising creed: "We hold these truths to be  self-evident: that all virtualization types can be overcommitted and oversold to some degree." 

Until that day comes, here's my WHT post with some links to overselling RAM on KVM and VMWare:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1560573&p=9666710#post9666710

//end rant

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
//begin rant

Quote from WHT:

I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day hosting customers will not be misled by hosting providers spewing this bullshit that only OpenVZ RAM can be oversold and KVM/Xen/VMware memory can't be oversold.  I have a dream that one day the hosting community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its truth in advertising creed: "We hold these truths to be  self-evident: that all virtualization types can be overcommitted and oversold to some degree." 

Until that day comes, here's my WHT post with some links to overselling RAM on KVM and VMWare:

//end rant

*sniff* That's beautiful.  Live the dream.  :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
//begin rant

Quote from WHT:

//end rant

From the WHT thread:

"I doubt you'll see any provider advertise that they oversell. If they're using OpenVZ, then that's a possibility, but generally the provider's that are highly recommended here, you won't have any problems with."

I know for a fact Crissic promoted their overselling as a benefit to customers on price.  Which actually is honest and makes sense.  Customers aren't stupid and some actually do math and say things don't add up.

I wish more companies were forth coming in overselling / thin provisioning / overloading practices.  Not that we want your secret sauce, we don't.  It's to communicate with your customers and potential customers.

Nothing wrong with loading customers more densely than 1-1 ratio.  Fact is most sit with little to no use and idle.  Stretching things a bit to draw down prices is fine, so long as not being abusive to customers and packing heavy use on the same and running into resource horrors and mass contention.  Then again, all that comes from experience and having competent admin(s) and processes in place.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I believe this is a new record for most SBL listings, but not surprising given the jump in spam coming from Hotmail this year:

1VuChCx.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
AFuatC4.png

I love my FitBit and that I can chart my steps and movement, but even though I'm proud of walking almost 16 miles in a 24 hour period I can see (non-sleeping) idle periods in which I could be moving. Going to shoot for 20mles in a 24 hour period in the future,

It's also nice to have a job where I'm not behind a desk and work (mostly) outside. :)

amuck-landowner