amuck-landowner

The gun thread

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
For self defence we are not allowed to carry weapons, pepperspray is also vorbidden.

That is bullshit, but you do still get these thing here but if you get catched... you are screwed.

Even with a fucking knife, when you dont have a reason and get catched its gone. :eek:
Luckily, as a Scotsman, I can actually walk around the UK (and commonwealth countries) wearing a knife, legally....but only if I'm in Scottish National Dress.

I've always preferred: "My rifle is a tool.  I am the weapon."
That makes a lot more sense.

People who say "Guns are made for self defence" need to have a word with themselves. If it's to defend yourself against someone else with a gun then the gun was made to attack, not self defence.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This will be a long / slow build since I am more interested in some solar project stuff but I got my 80% lower in today for me to build a 'ghost gun' out of. :p

5AoZE21.jpg

Still need to mull out the lower receiver so I can install the trigger assembly group and safety selector. Also showing off my stippling on the P-mag. I need to stipple the rest of them as well when I find the time.

FSK9hfR.jpg

I wanted to test the fit of the lower on a regular upper. Fit was nice and tight as it should be.

Edit: For legal reasons I should specify that the lower is still incomplete and should not be considered operable so the image with the upper receiver with a rifle barrel attached should not be considered a 'rifle'. I will be (likely) building an AR pistol with this lower once I have completed the steps to make it operable. The image with the rifle upper is for demonstration and fitting purposes only. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
Very nice MannDude!

One problem with being in Canada is we can't have as many fun toys out here.

I'll try to dig up some of my old pictures. House was broken into a few years back and lost a few of them :(

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
kqrxxMx.jpg

I've had this since December but just got to shoot it today for the first time. My local range doesn't allow shotguns anymore so went out to a buddy's place.

Unfortunately I had a couple failures to eject. May be the cheap birdshot loads I was shooting. Going to have to buy a couple boxes of different brands and types of shells to see what works best with it.

Also used my bumpfire stock for the first time today... but I didn't think ahead. I recently upgraded my AR and put a new muzzle brake on it which reduces the recoil amazingly. It really does it's job very well... HOWEVER, since the bumpfire stock is recoil operated (meaning it relies on recoil to properly function) I was unable to use it properly. :(

William

pr0
Verified Provider
For self defence we are not allowed to carry weapons, pepperspray is also vorbidden.

That is bullshit, but you do still get these thing here but if you get catched... you are screwed.

Even with a fucking knife, when you dont have a reason and get catched its gone. :eek:
Where? Pepper spray is 'technically' forbidden to carry in Germany/NL (and to some extend in Austria) but this is circumvented by selling it as "anti animal spray"

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
This was a fun one to have.

outlaw.jpg

Made me feel like the scout with his force of nature. :D

It's fun watching friends try and shoot both at once with slugs in it.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
This was a fun one to have.

outlaw.jpg
You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

(actually, the gun in the movie is a Stoeger Coach and is not made in Grand Rapids, Michigan)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Had a great day at the range today!

Went and put 100 rounds through the 4566 and was shooting very well with it which is always fun. Still my favorite pistol and my cold weather carry piece so it was good to run some rounds through it since I've been leaving it at home the last few times I've gone to the range. Hit the 520rd mark on the AR I built today. I usually don't keep exact round counts of my pieces but have with that. Put another 50rds of 38spl through the revolver I picked up a while back, and 15rds of 357magnum through it (Not a round I enjoy shooting a lot from a snub nose revolver... quite the kick) and put another 100rds through my carry piece. Was shooting pretty well today. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pretty bad shot with a pistol usually so was proud of myself today.

Was a very nice day and the range was busy but it wasn't packed.

Shared a range booth with a nice family for a while today as well. Was a husband and wife and two children that were probably 10 and 12. Nice seeing families having a good time together, and seeing children learn proper gun safety and shooting. Unsure what the parents were shooting, I think they were shooting a 30-06 or 30-30. I didn't ask. Kids had a BB gun and a .22LR rifle and were being schooled on safety from the father. Looked like a fun family outing.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I've gotten back into a routine with one of my co-workers.  Mondays after work we head down to the pistol side and burn 150-200 rounds each.  Typically shooting at 25yds, but occassionally moving it out a bit if we're having a particularly good day.  Fridays, we rotate through rifles and ping on the 300, 400, 500, and 600 yard steel targets (beats walking out to setup paper targets >_>), typically 50-100 rounds each.  Good practice, range is typically pretty empty on weekdays, and is a gratifying way to end the two longest days of the week.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I can barely see targets at 300 yards.

My best scope I have is a Leupold Mark 4 LR-T which is a 3x-9x.  Cranked to 9x, I'm fine at 200 but 300 is a bit tough.  The biggest thing I shoot is 168gr .308 (almost like it's my favorite round and is part of my forum nickname or something) which is fine at those ranges and beyond, but my middle-aged eyes would need something bigger.  

The range I go to has a sweet setup - the 200y/300y/600y range is continuous fire.  You drive out and go down steps into a trench, pull down your targets on pulleys, replace, and reraise them.  Bullets whiz by overhead :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm jealous that you all have nice ranges. The one by me only has a 25/35/50/100/200yard benches. It's a nice range and all, but I've never been able to use the 200yd bench as it's always full.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
They ain't cheap.  Current cost is $225 initiation and $170 a year.  Which, initiation aside, isn't that bad really - about $15 a month for unlimited use and you can add a spouse for $35, take guests, etc.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, my range is free which is probably why it's such shit and crowded.

There is a private range / gun club near me and membership is only like $25/yr. They do other things like hold tournaments throughout the year to generate more money for the range as well.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And this is exactly why I hate shooting that Tula garbage:

damntula.jpg

Yes, the primer fell right the fuck out after a FTF.  I actually had to just sit and stare at this for awhile in pure disbelief.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
And this is exactly why I hate shooting that Tula garbage:
I more then agree with you. Last time I shot my Mosin I used Tula ammo I fired a round that sounded like a bad firecracker and I could watch the bullet leave the barrel and go about 10 feet until it hit the ground. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've had my Mosin for almost a year now and still haven't shot it yet. Hmm... I should fix that.

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
The range near me was I think $150 a year and $200 the first time or something silly. I only signed up to it when I first got into all the guns because they fed bs that you need it in order to get a pistol.

While it was nice and they had some fun pistol nights that was just a bunch of older guys with lots of toys, it wasn't great for having some good old fun like out in the back roads. Having the extra costs and hassle to bring friends out made me not sign back up. Plus it was home for the boarder guards, prison guards and police did their training.

amuck-landowner