amuck-landowner

The gun thread

mikeyur

Verified Provider
Glock should be in front of any other purchases. Multiple Glocks...

It's last on my list due to Canadian gun laws. I need to join a gun club with a partner range, then buy the gun and wait a week or two for registration & a temporary authorization to transport (ATT) a restricted firearm from the store to my house, then I need to submit a request for a long term ATT to be able to move the gun between my house and the range (can take weeks/months for the RCMP & Chief Firearms Officer to approve).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Glock should be in front of any other purchases. Multiple Glocks...

I'm looking at a Glock 17L, competition model (Competition trigger, ported  barrel) for a pretty reasonable price. I qualify for law enforcement discounts now and that has me all excited. But I also wouldn't mind some of the new MOS models either. My Glock 19 is my favorite shooter out of all my pistols.

Unfortunately for me money is limited so I can't buy everything I want and I don't live in the country where I can set up an awesome backyard range, haha.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
fqGWGUP.jpg

Decided to get the dremel out and cut some material away on my Glock 19 last week...

I may take just a hair more out where the grip meets the trigger guard. Right now I have it sort of angled in and a bit more material can be removed without impacting anything negatively. It already feels better with the trigger guard undercut and the grip/trigger guard area milled out a bit. You get a higher grip on it this way, reduces the bore axis a bit and the trigger guard mod helps remove the "Glock knuckle" people get when shooting a lot at the range. I'm surprised Glock doesn't just produce their firearms like this since so many people do it themselves.

Next on the to-do list is polish the trigger a bit. May eventually replace some trigger components but going to first polish the parts that matter and see how noticeable of a difference that makes before spending money on new trigger assembly and springs. The Glock stock trigger isn't bad.. but as with everything, it could be made smoother. :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
ng9wQM0.jpg

SoonTM

Actually it'll be a long while before I get to finish this. I bought the Polymer80 80% lower last year sometime when they were on sale and it's been sitting in my safe for months. Decided to finally take it out to the garage and mill it out. I know some folks are iffy about polymer lowers, but really they don't take much of a beating and don't see much stress. The weak point would be where the buffer tube threads into the lower but it should be fine as long as you're not lifting / raising the rifle by the buffer tube or stock alone...

My plans include a 2-tone AR pistol chambered in 300BLK.

This is a low priority project since it's winter and I rarely have day light hours to enjoy going to the range, and when I do, it's winter and cold... Hoping to complete by mid Spring - Summer though. :)

mikeyur

Verified Provider
The good shooting spots are snowed in or closed.. and I've got 2 boxes of 3" Federal slugs and a busted old Supermicro 1U box that's begging to be filled with lead.

:(

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Welp... haven't posted in awhile, figured it was about time for an update.  Cleaned up my workshop a bit today, put some new grips on my Beretta, figured it was time to get some updated pics up.

M9130_s.jpg

M91/30 Mosin Nagant, in 7,62x54r.  This beast is an absolute cannon, and the Boyd stock makes it a very comfortable shot.

M39_s.jpg

The Finnish version, M39.  Better length of pull than the default 91/30 stock, and fantastic condition.  From the irons, I average 2,5" groups at 300y after shaving the front sight from a block to a finer point.

Vepr54r_s.jpg

Last of my 54r rifles, a Molot Vepr.  Puts crappy PSLs to shame - this is probably the closest you can get to an actual Dragunov without shelling out 10k+.

Vepr39_s.jpg

The Vepr54's little brother - chambered in 7,62x39, Molot makes the finest quality AK platform you can find.  I'll be replacing that synthetic handguard with a proper wooden grip pretty soon, and staining to match the 54.

YugoSKS_s.jpg

Yugoslav SKS, 7,62x39.  Fantastic condition - that's the original stock, not a replacement.  One of my favourites - you can shut off the gas system and effectively turn it into a bolt-action rifle, which will blow the minds of anyone claiming that the x39 is an inherently inaccurate round.  200y, I average 2" groups with the irons.

SR45_s.jpg

Was looking around for a 45ACP, ended up picking this bad boy up at a recent gunshow.  Was a toss-up between this or Ruger's 1911, but I *really* do not like the backstrap safety so prevalent on most 1911s, so the SR45 was the winner.  Also my first polymer frame pistol, which I'm a bit iffy on (I do *not* like Glocks and Glock clones), but it's winning me over.  The only real gripe I have is the weird rear sight - it looks a bit like a rounded hill, which makes proper sight pictures awkward.

Tokarev_s.jpg

Work in progress.  I really wanted the original TT-33, but thanks to their scarcity at decent prices I went with the Romanian TTC instead.  Have some rather nice wooden Marschal Grips coming in, and I'll be plugging the hole in the frame left behind from the removed safety.  The 7,62x25 Tok rounds don't have significant recoil, but I ended up leaving the compensator bushing since the boom puts most 357s to shame >_>

ModeloSuper_s.jpg

Another recent acquisition, and in need of proper panels.  Star's Super B was mass-produced for the Germans during WWII when Walther couldn't keep up with Luger production.  This pistol is chambered in 9mm, and is *ridiculously* accurate - with a little concentration I have no problem keeping a 3" group at 50y.  Easily the most accurate handgun I own.

P89_s.jpg

Keeping with 9mm - Ruger's P89 was my first handgun.  An absolute dream to shoot, the only modification I've made was the addition of the CrimsonTrace laser grip.  I don't believe in lasers for target shooting, but this was my open-carry pistol for a very long time, and in an "oh shit" situation you don't always have time for a proper sight picture, and every second counts.  Ridiculously rugged - I've fired at least 25,000 rounds through this pistol, and all of the factory parts are still intact and in great shape.

FS92_s.jpg

Was pretty torn between the M9 and the 92FS (yes, I know the differences are negligible).  Ended up with the 92FS, and after swapping the polymer guide rod for steel and replacing the original grips with these beauties, this is my current open carry piece and probably my favourite of the bunch.

P64_s.jpg

P-64 Makarov.  My current concealed/backup carry, and despite it's small size a very comfortable handgun to shoot.  Some folks insist on 45ACP for personal carry - I've seen firsthand what these hot-loaded 9x18 HP rounds can do, and am more than comfortable with it's capability.  The only downside to this piece is the slide won't lock to the rear without a mag in place, and it utilizes that funky release at the bottom of the magwell.  Not ideal for fast reloading, but if I managed to miss 8 rounds in close quarters then I didn't stand a chance to begin with.

SR22_s.jpg

(Yes, I'm a Ruger fanboy.  Blow me.)  Picked this piece up when 9mm (my usual go-to for target and practice shooting) spiked awhile back to take advantage of the low cost of 22LR.  Currently my daughter's favourite, since it fits her hands comfortably and doesn't have near the kick of the Makarov.

Was going to snap a few picks of the ammo cabinet and gun safe as well, but was a bit too dark.  Perhaps another day.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@Aldryic C'boas nice collection you have there. I figured I should update this as well. Boy, do I have wood! No, really:

N15dbIX.jpg

Bought some wood grips for my 4566 last year, almost forgot about it since they had to come all the way from Turkey and took forever... They're beautiful, and I'm glad they look as good as they do. I wasn't quite for sure what wood finish I wanted and what would go best with the polished look. I think I chose well. I highly recommend http://www.ksdgrips.com/ for anyone interested in some beautiful wood grips for any pistol. They produce a lot of grips for guns, like mine, that do not have many aftermarket parts. The only options I had for grips for my 4566 was some Hogue grips and they looked tacky in both the plastic and wood versions.

THAT SILVER INLAY THO

vkyp7vV.jpg

She's a beaut I tell ya. A stone cold fox. Haven't shot her yet but she's been collecting dust for a bit. Got some steel polish mags for her, don't like the look of the polymer ones. DAT WOODGRAIN THO.

Sorry for the shitty photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
gRAlCLd.png

I want this! Don't really need another but this would work good for another carry.

WSWD

Verified Provider
View attachment 5196

I want this! Don't really need another but this would work good for another carry.

Just bought the 9mm model in December (for way more, unfortunately) as my main carry weapon. The Glock 21 I was using was just a tiny bit big to carry all day comfortably.

IMG_20170513_132447454_HDR.png

Last edited:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
UVNXBER.jpg

This is hands down my favorite pistol to shoot. Feels like it was built to fit my hand, and pretty darn accurate. I made this video after buying it, not the best shooting but the groups are pretty good for the distance I was shooting at and for it being only the second time having shot it after buying it. I need more trigger time with it and I'd like to do some IDPA competition shooting with it eventually. Out of the box I was shooting it much better than my Glock even though I've put a good 2,500rds or more through her by now I'd estimate.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Just bought the 9mm model in December (for way more, unfortunately) as my main carry weapon. The Glock 21 I was using was just a tiny bit big to carry all day comfortably.

Mine's been with me for several years now. It's a great carry gun (due for a cleaning no less).

IMG_20170524_141712.jpg

I have the Crimson Trace laser on it which I do not recommend.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Lately I've been rotating back and forth between my Kahr CM9 and Glock 19 for carry. I've never had any issues with either one.

I did get to fondle the new Smith and Wesson's at the LGS a month or two ago, it was right when they came out. My god, they felt great in the hand. The trigger definitely feels better than the older model as well. Plus they had it in FDE. It took a lot of strength to not throw my credit card at the shop owner and practice being a responsible adult who doesn't make impulse buys. They're priced reasonably well.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
If I had to pick one thing to complain about on the shield it'd definitely be the trigger. One of the guys in the office put an aftermarket trigger (can't remember which one) on his shield and it's smooooooooth.

WSWD

Verified Provider
A lot of people have complained about the factory trigger. It is a little more "mushy" than my Glock, but I don't really have any problem with it. I've heard the same about the aftermarket triggers. Heard they are incredibly nice.

amuck-landowner