amuck-landowner

The knife thread.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I bet you have some nice kitchen knives though, yeah?
Yes, but that's different :p

That is insane to even think about.  I couldn't imagine going through the day without mine simply for the utility it offers from opening boxes, cutting a loose thread on clothing, etc.  I use it almost daily and feel naked without it.
I only said it was illegal.. ;)

I collect (well, collected) genuine Swiss Army Knives. Unfortunately when I parted company with my ex many, many years ago, I left with nothing and my collection has since gone AWOL. Vast majority were actually bought in Switzerland, too!

I am a fan of knives and sharp things but more for the craftsmanship than anything else.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
They're not quite that insane. You are allowed to carry anything with a 3 inch or less blade at any time (so swiss army knives and multitools are fine) and you're allowed to carry larger blades as long as you have a good reason - work, camping etc. It depends on context. If you've got a 5 inch blade in your pocket walking around town you'll raise eyebrows sure, if you're up in the woods taking it camping you're probably okay.

You aren't allowed flick knives or butterfly knives (although multi tools etc are okay)
OK, so I guess that's just fascist and not quite as insane  :lol:

There are cities in the US which have blade length restrictions.

What I find enduringly hilarious is that there are cities in the US where nunchaku are illegal.  There was a scare in the 1970s when every middle schooler saw Enter the Dragon and wanted to be Bruce Lee.

Not only are they difficult to learn to use, they're wildly impractical and I would wager that the number of criminals who've employed nunchaku to carry out crimes in the US since 1970 is...zero.

AThomasHowe

OK, so I guess that's just fascist and not quite as insane  :lol:
I don't know how fascist it is, people seem pretty happy with the laws here in the UK really in regards to weapons. It's just a different mindset I guess: you might want guns or knives to protect yourselves from others but people here would prefer that nobody had the weapons in the first place. It's not impossible to get a gun or an otherwise illegal weapon here but it's not really common to have guns that aren't basically ornaments.

I think it's only this year in some parts of the country armed police have started doing normal patrols (as opposed to sitting about the station waiting for danger) so it's not really like you'd see the police with guns outside London or whatever either. To be honest that's a lot more concerning to me - to see an authority figure openly carrying a weapon - but I wasn't brought up around guns.

I wouldn't mind shooting one at a range but I wouldn't really want to own a gun or kill a person or an animal with one, no matter the circumstance.

You can have nunchaku in the UK in your home but you're not allowed to take them outside. if you were taking them to an exhibit or to a dealer or something you'd get away with it but the only real reason to carry them outside your home is as a dangerous weapon.

I don't think we should get rid of all guns or whatever though as much as I'd love that, that's obviously impractical. I am pretty happy about them not being a factor in my life though.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
I don't know how fascist it is, people seem pretty happy with the laws here in the UK really in regards to weapons. It's just a different mindset I guess: you might want guns or knives to protect yourselves from others but people here would prefer that nobody had the weapons in the first place. It's not impossible to get a gun or an otherwise illegal weapon here but it's not really common to have guns that aren't basically ornaments.

I think it's only this year in some parts of the country armed police have started doing normal patrols (as opposed to sitting about the station waiting for danger) so it's not really like you'd see the police with guns outside London or whatever either. To be honest that's a lot more concerning to me - to see an authority figure openly carrying a weapon - but I wasn't brought up around guns.

I wouldn't mind shooting one at a range but I wouldn't really want to own a gun or kill a person or an animal with one, no matter the circumstance.

You can have nunchaku in the UK in your home but you're not allowed to take them outside. if you were taking them to an exhibit or to a dealer or something you'd get away with it but the only real reason to carry them outside your home is as a dangerous weapon.

I don't think we should get rid of all guns or whatever though as much as I'd love that, that's obviously impractical. I am pretty happy about them not being a factor in my life though.
Your view is one of the most respectable I've heard.  What I got out of it is "I don't personally want or care for guns but that doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to have them".  Assuming that's what you essentially meant then I respect that :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Found my SOG! Looks like it probably fell out of my book bag or something as it was under the edge of my couch. Need to clean it up and re-sharpen it. Right now it's pretty dull, but the tape residue on the blade doesn't help. Going to fix it up again and probably just keep it in my camping bag or throw it in my first-aid kit or something.

a02Z8oX.jpg

Spyderco blade above, and the recently found SOG below.

amuck-landowner