amuck-landowner

There are no current SBL listings for velocity-servers.net

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Guess we all just witnessed a miracle.

No clue how CC got suddenly off the hook.  They had been shedding numbers past month or so. Recently they were at about 10 entries steady.

Perhaps someone committed and error :)  Cause I can't see them cleaning up their network and keeping it clean absent taking heavy handed policy of blocking all SMTP by default or some sort of limited cap before getting such shut down.  But anything is possible.

Honestly,  I hope for everyone with an inbox that this cleaning of their records indicates a new policy at CC where such won't be tolerated (spamming) and especially not encouraged like appeared to be going on for a long time.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
How did this happen i wonder?
The recent escalations pushed the percentage of their IPs that were blacklisted to over 65% and they started to panic and finally decided to listen to Spamhaus.

and how long will this last for?
Only time will tell...

Email SPAM from their network has always been an annoyance but it is a minor annoyance compared to the web based spam/threats coming from their network (spambots, hackerbots, bruteforce attempts, etc) and there has been no sign of them doing anything to lessen the web based threats coming from their network (as shown by this graph from CleanTalk which shows a huge increase in crap coming from their network starting in July, as well as 13,937 spam active IPs still "web spamming/attacking" and a spam rate of over 90% http://cleantalk.org/blacklists/AS36352 )

tl;dr getting delisted from Spamhaus is a sign of progress but I'll still be blocking their entire network (as well as Bye-low and Fabs home IPs :p ) until they do something about the web based threats coming from their network .

zafouhar

tl;dr getting delisted from Spamhaus is a sign of progress but I'll still be blocking their entire network (as well as Bye-low and Fabs home IPs :p ) until they do something about the web based threats coming from their network .
Lol, what is bye-low's IP Address so i can block it?  :p

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Honestly,  I hope for everyone with an inbox that this cleaning of their records indicates a new policy at CC where such won't be tolerated (spamming) and especially not encouraged like appeared to be going on for a long time.
The Spamhaus delisting will help some people's inboxes but the large corporate blocklists tend to be much (much, much, much) slower to act so the email deliverability problem didn't end entirely with the Spamhaus delisting.  A large number of their IPs still have a poor reputation in Cisco's SenderBase so any customer who is assigned a "poor" reputation IP will still have problems --> http://www.senderbase.org/lookup/org/?search_string=ColoCrossing

Lol, what is bye...
My company's privacy policy requires a court order before I can divulge that info. :)

zafouhar

Guess we all just witnessed a miracle.

No clue how CC got suddenly off the hook.  They had been shedding numbers past month or so. Recently they were at about 10 entries steady.

Perhaps someone committed and error :)  Cause I can't see them cleaning up their network and keeping it clean absent taking heavy handed policy of blocking all SMTP by default or some sort of limited cap before getting such shut down.  But anything is possible.

Seems the miracle only lasted a few hours though  :popcorn:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The only real miracle is that they managed to go with a clean SBL bill for more than 20 minutes.  I won't be unblocking them anytime soon though - I still see a ridiculous amount of abuse in the form of exploit/compromise attempts.  A rather amusing number of these targetting *only* what we let people believe are our core/critical systems, and not hitting client IP space at all.. makes me wonder if it's actual 'bad clients' at all :3

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I've been updating whosspamming.us every couple of days for the last little while, but with this change I'm going to stop updating for now. I believe this to be some sort of mistake or mix-up, so I'll leave the site as is as sort of an "archive" of what/how many IPs SpamHaus had flagged. From the looks of it, they didn't have many records on the 4th, when I last updated, but the records they did have were big. 3 /15s and 3 /17s, as well as four smaller blocks. You can see the list here - it came out to 497,674 IPs total.

Last edited by a moderator:

zafouhar

I've been updating whosspamming.us every couple of days for the last little while, but with this change I'm going to stop updating for now. I believe this to be some sort of mistake or mix-up, so I'll leave the site as is as sort of an "archive" of what/how many IPs SpamHaus had flagged. From the looks of it, they didn't have many records on the 4th, when I last updated, but the records they did have were big. 3 /15s and 3 /17s, as well as four smaller blocks. You can see the list here - it came out to 497,674 IPs total.
What happened is actually extremely weird, after nearly having half a million IP's listed they end up with one ip address listed, i would be interested to get to know what actually happened.

What happened is actually extremely weird, after nearly having half a million IP's listed they end up with one ip address listed, i would be interested to get to know what actually happened.
Spamhaus wouldn't have delisted unless there was good reason to do so. They are a savvy blacklist and will conduct thorough investigations to ensure that the spammers have actually been removed from their network before removing the block.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am *really* unsure what is going on.  Beginning to think Spamhaus was hacked or something of that nature. 

I can't see legal bullying impacting this decision, knowing Spamhaus.

Nor can I see CC running a clean shop leading to this.  In past week I do believe their were block escalations for repetitive bad behavior in the same bigger IP range.

Since March, I've logged 582 Spamhaus entries for CC on their own ASN.   Bound to have missed some in there.  That total doesn't include what they have dirtied elsewhere on their upstreams / datacenter allocated IPs, nor re-appearing entries escalated.

Do the math 7 months x 30 days = 210 days

582 entries / 210 days = 2.77 SBL listings per day.

amuck-landowner