amuck-landowner

Thoughts on Newegg

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I just made a decent-size order on Newegg today for some hardware I'll be setting up for my employer. It being Friday, I didn't expect it to ship out till Monday, but a few hours after the order I got two e-mails with the tracking numbers. This reminded me of my overall satisfaction with Newegg. I bought the parts to my first custom build through them, and I've been buying stuff on and off through them for the last three years, and they've always been top notch. I was wondering who else here has bought stuff with them, and what y'all think.

One example: I bought one of their "shell shocker" deals (software for another employer) a while back, and it came with a "free gift" of a wireless mouse. The mouse wasn't added to the cart, but I didn't know how that was supposed to work so I assumed it was normal. However, when the software shipped out the next day, I saw that there was no mouse mentioned. I contacted support and asked them, and the agent fixed it for me immediately, setting up a $0 order and even expediting shipping such that the mouse and software came at the same time. I used that mouse for the better part of two years :)

Also, has anyone used Newegg business? They sell server HW of course, so have any providers here ever bought your server stuff through them for your business?

Last edited by a moderator:

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I just wish there was a Newegg style company here. Great prices compared to here too. :(

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Newegg is awesome! Love the free shipping that ends up being 2 day free shipping.

The prices are pretty good compared to Frys or well.. thats all we have nearby.

NCIX is the Canadian equivalent of Newegg / Microcache is the brick and mortar equivalent I believe.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I just wish there was a Newegg style company here. Great prices compared to here too.
Where's here, if you don't mind my asking? 

Newegg is awesome! Love the free shipping that ends up being 2 day free shipping.
Yeah, supposed to be three day, but often less :) The nice thing is, I also have ShopRunner, so now I'm guaranteed two-day. Plus their warehouse is in NJ and I'm in New England, so it works out well.

NCIX is the Canadian equivalent of Newegg / Microcache is the brick and mortar equivalent I believe.
I take it you're from Canada, ever tried Newegg.ca?

Zach

Verified Provider
Newegg is great.  You don't need a Newegg Business account to buy server hardware though  :)

shovenose

Verified Provider
Newegg is great.  You don't need a Newegg Business account to buy server hardware though  :)
I don't see the point of getting a Newegg Business account... better to sign up for MALabs or Ingram Micro or both :)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Oh yeah, I knew that. I guess it did come across that way though. It just seems that if you're a business that's going to be buying servers you might use Newegg business. I'm under the impression that you get discounts as a business user, but I might be wrong. And also it's just more geared towards enterprise/business grade/type equipment.

Zach

Verified Provider
Oh yeah, I knew that. I guess it did come across that way though. It just seems that if you're a business that's going to be buying servers you might use Newegg business. I'm under the impression that you get discounts as a business user, but I might be wrong. And also it's just more geared towards enterprise/business grade/type equipment.
Yeah I think you may be able to get discounts as a business member.  I never really saw the need to apply for a business membership.

wdq

Quade
I have both a normal Newegg account and a Newegg Business account. Prices fluctuate on both so sometimes things are cheaper on Newegg and sometimes things are cheaper on Newegg Business. Each site also has their own set of exclusive deals. I typically only use my plain old Newegg account. 

BK_

I ordered every part of my > $1k custom desktop build from Newegg Canada. No matter where I compared, each component I wanted was cheaper (when including shipping).

Only thing I was a little sad about was the fact that they shipped half of it from Ontario, and the other half from one of their US warehouses. The US stuff arrived before the Ontario stuff.... Don't tempt me when I'm not able to start assembling then and there! :p Other than that, I've been very satisfied with Newegg.

TheLinuxBug

Personally I love using Newegg.com, they are my go to for pricing and getting a general idea on availability of a product.  I have only had a few issues over the years of business with them that usually stemmed from one of their promotion codes not working correctly with their Paypal payment gateway.  It seems with their Paypal gateway they have no immediate way to fix the issue (they have to get a developer involved) so they usually end up telling you to pay full price an that they will refund you the difference as soon as it ships.  While this isn't a huge deal, there have been a few occasions where I simply didn't have the extra money at the time to pay for the extra cost, so it was quite frustrating to deal with. At least one occasion I had to resort to just not purchasing the item.  Other than this, however, I have had nothing but good experiences with them. The free shipping is great and even though "eggsaver" says 4-7 days I usually end up with my order in hand in about 3-4 days.

My last purchase form them was a wireless router for a client, and they defiantly had the best deal on it that I could find.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
their promotion codes not working correctly with their Paypal payment gateway

Never had anything like this happen to me. My biggest beef is the "free gifts" when I don't want them, since they can't be removed. This is especially bad because coupons don't apply to "combo items". For instance a while ago Newegg had a coupon going for a bunch of Rosewill (house brand) wireless equipment, but since the wireless card I wanted came with a USB cradle, I couldn't apply the coupon to it :( Other than that, as I said, I've been satisfied.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Love newegg. Only place I'll go to buy or build a computer (unless an Apple, then Southlake store).

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Been working with NewEgg for 10 years, they are still our primary supplier for our hardware business simply because of their awesome customer service and support. There have been glitches here and there but most of the time they've stepped up and fixed them.

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
I <3 NewEgg, my favorite online retailer. Been using them for over 10 years now. Highly recommended.

amuck-landowner