amuck-landowner

Told my server is out of memory by the Datacenter techs?

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Obvious reply would be: Your terms say nothing about beeping, I will allow my server to beep as much as I beeping want, what the beep has it got to do with you :)

Wintereise

Obvious reply would be: Your terms say nothing about beeping, I will allow my server to beep as much as I beeping want, what the beep has it got to do with you :)
Colocation, while a shame, does not work like that. Even if this is a dedi, same terms apply.

You'll be disturbing people while they try to work / etc, which pretty much is valid grounds for at least attempting to boot you.

Jack

Actually not correct ^_^  Presumably the memory was upgraded. It is displayed in the post in the free -m output though, so that is my bad.
What are you on about?

I know CC's Labels are SERVERID-CC for Colocrossing then -XEON FOR XEON's, C2Q for Core2Quad , AMD for AMD's... 

3ogSH.png

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I thought you were referring to the other part of my post asking how much memory, since the ID had "1638" in it. As in, 16,384MB of memory, or 16GB, when the free -m output said 32,768MB of memory. I get it now.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
It could be beeping due to a memory error -- i.e. one of the chips is throwing ECC errors; some of my dells do that (they also light the attention light amber).  They also display a message on the LCD panel which typically shows the serial number saying which bank is bad.

That said, how could you hear a server beeper in a properly cooled DC -- surely the ventilation noise would drown it out.

At least in any datacenter I have been in (barring FDC) this was the case.

rsk

Verified Provider
That said, how could you hear a server beeper in a properly cooled DC -- surely the ventilation noise would drown it out.
I think at CC they have nothing else better to do, than to listen to beeps :)

Zen

This makes no sense, not the beeping part, but the fact that they hear or care about it. In any proper DC or filled up rack.. I doubt you would hear the beep to the point where it was frustrating you. 

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
This makes no sense, not the beeping part, but the fact that they hear or care about it. In any proper DC or filled up rack.. I doubt you would hear the beep to the point where it was frustrating you.
Unless you are working very close to the rack, I would look into a beeping noise if it was me working there.

I would be thankful if a tech opened a ticket like that for me to investigate.

Zen

Unless you are working very close to the rack, I would look into a beeping noise if it was me working there.

I would be thankful if a tech opened a ticket like that for me to investigate.
Eh, with proper cooling and 40+ servers running.. I don't know.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I've had to diagnose beepcodes in a cabinet before, I had to get my ear very close to the server to hear anything.

So yeah, it makes me wonder about the cooling at CC, for sure.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
It's hard to hear, I admit that but once you hear that first beep you go wtf and shake it of, when the second comes you wtf again and some people (like me) wont stop until they find the source.

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
Colocation, while a shame, does not work like that. Even if this is a dedi, same terms apply.

You'll be disturbing people while they try to work / etc, which pretty much is valid grounds for at least attempting to boot you.
I don't think most DCs actually care about this though. The rack next to ours in Detroit has had an Adaptec screaming away the entire time we've been in the facility.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Get yourself a bottle of Premium RAM Fluid  ;)  to top it off when it starts beeping :D

earl

Did you ask the DC what the beep code was? check it with your board manufacturer.. I'm sure it's something hardware related or maybe a temperature sensor was set off..

JDiggity

They probably found the beep while working on another persons server that was right next to it.  When they went to derack it to work on it.

amuck-landowner