amuck-landowner

Told my server is out of memory by the Datacenter techs?

TheLinuxBug

I've had to diagnose beepcodes in a cabinet before, I had to get my ear very close to the server to hear anything.

A good friend of mine once gave me a link to what he considered "Data Center Tech Must Haves" and included on the list was a Stethoscope for trouble shooting this exact thing.  In most cases, as stated above, if properly cooled, you shouldn't be hearing the audible beeps without purposely listening for them (or being very close to the server for some reason).

Cheers!

Wintereise

I don't think most DCs actually care about this though. The rack next to ours in Detroit has had an Adaptec screaming away the entire time we've been in the facility.
Both Equinix and Internap do not take kindly to random sounds, that I can tell from experience.

No idea about others though, but it should be inaudible unless you're really close either way.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I checked temperature sensors... I think the server is beeping from console output.

AlexBarakov

Verified Provider
If the server is beeping, there is definitely something wrong. Disabling the beepings is ignoring the problem. Diagnose, find and resolve it. Might be a failing sensor of something. Ask for further information, the beep code and possibly take the machine offline if needed. Server's don't always beep for no reason and be glad that someone from the DC caught it.

Also what is the information you get from IPMI? 

coreyman

Verified Provider
If the server is beeping, there is definitely something wrong. Disabling the beepings is ignoring the problem. Diagnose, find and resolve it. Might be a failing sensor of something. Ask for further information, the beep code and possibly take the machine offline if needed. Server's don't always beep for no reason and be glad that someone from the DC caught it.

Also what is the information you get from IPMI? 

It's attached to the intial post.

amuck-landowner