amuck-landowner

Too many VPS Sites

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I've noticed a lot of VPS tutorial sites popping up everywhere (signatures, posts... etc...) We just need 1 wiki site or something that we can put all these VPS guide/help/tutorials on. It's hard to keep track of all the different sites. It's really cool that we as a community are so passionate about these things, it's just difficult to have so many and not know where to go to look for the tutorial you saw on one of them.

Thoughts?

lazyt

One site to rule them all, One site to find them,

One site to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Centralization is just putting all of the information in one place to make one big target.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Some sort of VPS site aggregation service. 

Bring in LowEndTalk, LowEndBox, vpsBoard, WHT VPS, (not familiar with any others). 

Then display it in a really nice fashion with maybe some sort of single sign on so you can reply to topics from all those sites directly from this aggregation site without ever having to leave. 

Sounds awesome

Centralization is just putting all of the information in one place to make one big target.

Oh wait... this is about just tutorials. semi related?

willie

How about using Gitit (http://gitit.net ) for the wiki.  The cool thing is that the backing store is a git repository, so everyone can have their own copy that they update with "git pull" whenever they want.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I don't want to steal anyones guide, I would be hoping that they would submit it. It would be cool to integrate this with VPSBoard as to not create yet another website.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Maybe a tab at the top of the website that says Guides or Tutorials, and users can be trusted to possibly add new tutorials? Or something completely open for anyone to change like an embedded wiki?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Could start by filtering LET by tags with tutorials and asking for permission to repost in the new wiki.

Not sure if it would be easier/better to just start with new content completely, though the fact is it will be probably lacking for a while without prepopulating it with known working guides. At least until someone can sit down and write new guides for the wiki.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Well, if anyone wants to contribute let me know and I'll chat up @manndude and see if we can work something out.

Sonwebhost

I like them the more we have the less we need support if people use them tofix problems or to get a better understanding of the vps

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
I like them the more we have the less we need support if people use them tofix problems or to get a better understanding of the vps
It only becomes fun when people start using them to contact your support, and you have about 6 forums to monitor :p

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
http://vpsboard.com/index.php?/topic/405-lowendguidecom-updates/#entry6232

Have you taken a look at this, maybe you both can collaborate with @MannDude to make it the main guide area.

Though I think the community is trying to get away from LowEnd*

@WebSearchingPro - Yeah, definitely trying to get away from LowEnd. I like it here because it seems to be a more mature group than LET.

Are you suggesting a rename of the site?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Could start by filtering LET by tags with tutorials and asking for permission to repost in the new wiki.

Not sure if it would be easier/better to just start with new content completely, though the fact is it will be probably lacking for a while without prepopulating it with known working guides. At least until someone can sit down and write new guides for the wiki.
LET is a time bomb on who owns the content.  Know some of us now want our content removed from LET based on what has happened there.

As far as aggregating guides, that's a novel idea I suppose.   But, I think aggregation is vastly overrated and highly destructive.

Isn't a search engine an aggregator?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Aggregation has been all the rage for eons.  It has its place.   But vastly overused and abused.

Destructive parts are these:

* Content pilfering/theft

* Draining of viewers 

* Contextually content can be out of place

* Degrades brand / site re-visits

* May violate spirit of a donated tutorial or outright violate work product contract where party was compensated to produce such.

Clearly, aggregation can be argued to do the opposite.  

Aggregation, in my opinion should create value add.  Something beyond being just an index of things (this can get tricky).  

Aggregation should be limited in content to some classification, title, publish date and that's about it.  Rest of data should be a link to the original publishing site without any sort of wrapper/content trap/etc.   Straight push the user to the real content where it lives.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I think that if someone was to build a tutorial aggregator for this industry there are lots of legitimate "legal" hurdles to jump.

I see the positive from such a thing, but wearily point out the entire thing is on the backs of hard working folks of all sorts, so be wary of their rights to their property, please :)

amuck-landowner