amuck-landowner

Tool for detecting if a VPS node is "slabbed" or not

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
There's already a thread on LET about BuyVM. I need more popcorn. I ran out already.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Lol when I saw this earlier I just knew...tonight would be good. It doesn't matter but it won't stop the drama. Popcorn up people.
In my opinion the only people who feel threatened by this tool are those which feel it would expose something they are not being transparent about.  Might be worth noting for any future purchase decisions... :)

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Isn't the question "can you determine whether you are running in a hypervisor from within a restricted container" interesting enough without a drama angle?  If not that, then is "can we determine as much information about the hypervisor from inside the container" interesting?
Of course it is; it's a neat technical question.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
 What's the point here but drama?
My whole point in downloading and running the test was that I wanted to create drama and publicly humiliate my provider, but alas, the server that Oles delivered to me today 1 minute and 53 seconds after ordering is not running under a hypervisor.  Just think of the drama that would have ensued if the test had shown that Oles was trying to pass off slabs as E3 dedis.  

//end troll post

Isn't the question "can you determine whether you are running in a hypervisor from within a restricted container" interesting enough without a drama angle?

Yes.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
version 0.2 of this tool has been tagged in GIT, downloadable here: https://github.com/kaniini/slabbed-or-not/archive/0.2.zip

This version is basically all about tickling VMware from inside an OpenVZ container.  If that doesn't apply to your situation, it's probably pretty boring.

Interesting aspect: This version could be modified to do evil things to VMware from inside the OpenVZ container on some versions of VMware.  For example, if you're running under VMware Workstation, some very trivial modifications to this tool would allow you to do things like disconnect the virtual HDD, from inside the OpenVZ container.

Good news: ESXi 5 appears to no longer allow device enumeration.  Older versions -- no idea.  If it lists devices, you can disconnect them by adding some code.  The hypervisor's hypercall port assumes if you can access it that you have permission to do these things to the VM.

Bad news: It is not practical to block access to the VMware hypercall port.  Even though ioperm() and iopl()/inl()/outl() syscalls are hidden behind the sys_rawio POSIX capability, you can just simply use some inline asm to make the hypercalls.

tl;dr: I wouldn't do slabbing with VMware if I were a provider.

wcypierre

version 0.2 of this tool has been tagged in GIT, downloadable here: https://github.com/kaniini/slabbed-or-not/archive/0.2.zip

This version is basically all about tickling VMware from inside an OpenVZ container.  If that doesn't apply to your situation, it's probably pretty boring.

Interesting aspect: This version could be modified to do evil things to VMware from inside the OpenVZ container on some versions of VMware.  For example, if you're running under VMware Workstation, some very trivial modifications to this tool would allow you to do things like disconnect the virtual HDD, from inside the OpenVZ container.

Good news: ESXi 5 appears to no longer allow device enumeration.  Older versions -- no idea.  If it lists devices, you can disconnect them by adding some code.  The hypervisor's hypercall port assumes if you can access it that you have permission to do these things to the VM.

Bad news: It is not practical to block access to the VMware hypercall port.  Even though ioperm() and iopl()/inl()/outl() syscalls are hidden behind the sys_rawio POSIX capability, you can just simply use some inline asm to make the hypercalls.

tl;dr: I wouldn't do slabbing with VMware if I were a provider.
can you teach me how did you get into that instead? :D

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Wonder when the BlueVM does slabbing thread will pop up. They have actual service stability issues, and is likely related to their slabbing setup. Quite a bit of drama for a provider that's been solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

manacit

Wonder when the BlueVM does slabbing thread will pop up. They have actual service stability issues, and is likely related to their slabbing setup. Quite a bit of drama for a provider that's been solid.
Clearly you haven't been on LET lately.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
This forum is turning into LET.

Slabbing does not equal low quality. It has it's uses. Parts of AWS uses slabbing because it's efficient and stable.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Johnston already said they do slab some of their smaller plans and gave the reason for doing it

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
No-one is saying slabbing is bad..
^--- THIS.

Now go look around and see if providers say they run nested virtualization in their marketing, FAQ, support, etc.

The fact that many providers have so much e-penis statistics dripping from their site, but neglect to mention they are even smarter than the average VPS kid offering (i.e. they are advanced in virtualization or at least know a guy who is) is ummm well, odd.

So who did folks find slabbing?  Yeah BuyVM,  BlueVM....  Who else?  Perhaps it is list time with some official input from folks to explain their use as they are discovered.

amuck-landowner