amuck-landowner

Transgenders and Crime Victims Protest Facebook's Real Name Policy

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Buzzfeed covered a protest outside of Facebook headquarters in California:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/heres-why-having-to-use-real-names-on-facebook-is-putting-so

"On Monday morning, hundreds of drag and burlesque performers, LGBTQ people, Native Americans, and survivors of domestic violence demonstrated outside of Facebook’s headquarters in California, calling for the company to change its “real name” policy."

The comments in the article body are sad.  People victimized and stalked / found on Facebook due to real name policy. Victims of crimes, those awaiting the slow gears of the justice system, gender changing folks outed, etc.

I detest real name policies.  Absolutely ruinous and information going on your permanent big brother record folks.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Don't get on Facebook if you are trying to hide and not show your real name. Defeats the purpose. But, you can also get into super duper privacy protected mode and be safe from outsider stalkiing.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
, Native Americans...calling for the company to change its “real name” policy."

I'm assuming Facebook is guilty of the same cultural ignorance that once caused my company's fraud protection to manually reject an order (and piss off the customer whose anger was justified) based on the name submitted (which was the customer's legal name).  Lots of apologies issued over that one..

Legal names that don't follow standard western patterns (like Running Wind or Sleeping Bear) present a challenge during account or order verifications.  Based on everything I've read, Facebook is guilty of the same cultural ignorance, so the real names policy is definitely discriminatory against Native Americans who are singled out based on their names and forced to prove their identity.

The Washington Post had an article earlier this year on the challenges (i.e. discrimination) Native Americans face due to Facebook's real name policy 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/10/online-authenticity-and-how-facebooks-real-name-policy-hurts-native-americans/

But, you can also get into super duper privacy protected mode and be safe from outsider stalkiing. 
It's the insider "stalking" (i.e. Facebook's business plan that calls for the harvesting of every detail of its users' lives) that worries me.  I'm not a Facebook fan...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Don't get on Facebook if you are trying to hide and not show your real name. Defeats the purpose. But, you can also get into super duper privacy protected mode and be safe from outsider stalkiing.
It's tough though.  I don't do Facebook as it is what it is there... Gov can work to collect my data.  I am not siloing it and sorting it nicely like fncking recycling for them to long term shoe horn on the perma record...

Facebook has gone out of their way to demand real names only and over the creepy line into verifying and doc checks and other stuff related to this.

They also hide tons of stuff behind login only, so the old fashioned route of lurking is not so good there.

They shouldn't care who is what or any other mix of account details.  Really is stupid and won't stop trolls or anything, just annoying.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's the insider "stalking" (i.e. Facebook's business plan that calls for the harvesting of every detail of its users' lives) that worries me.  I'm not a Facebook fan...
Amen to this.

Let us not forget the Mark Zuckerberg quote:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at HarvardZuck: Just ask

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks

amuck-landowner