amuck-landowner

Unsolicited Domain Transfer Requests

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
So I just got this letter in the mail, with no recipient name, just my address and thought it looked rather "phishy" as my domains are registered through asmallorange which inturn uses OGTNET as far as I'm aware.

My question is, are companies sending unsolicited mail to domain holders scaring them to switch? And why?

Image_zps95fc8e0e.jpg

Domain Registry of America is owned by ENom as stated in the itty bitty fine print on the back that needs an electron microscope to read...

Also... these prices suck LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

mud

1 year domain registration is $35, and you're asking why are they sending those emails?

Good old spam.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
DROA is well known for sending these types of mail. I'd just ignore it.

wdq

Quade
I got one that looked just like that last week. The odd thing was that they said my domain was going to expire two years before the actual expiry date. 

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Seen it twice. I just ignore them. Although the first one I got was used to line the cage of my pet bird, so he crapped on it for about a week. That seemed pretty fitting. I can understand some people aren't too tech savvy, but come on, would anyone fall for $35/year for registration/transfer? I suppose their idea is to make it sound urgent that they transfer - the wording, while accurate, is overall misleading to make it sound like this is necessary. Oh well, any way to make a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

BK_

I get these all the time in the mail from the Candian equivilent (or at least used to... haven't received one in a while) :p

KMyers

I get those in the mail all the time. 

In most cases, the return envelope is pre-paid. Just shred the form (leave out any personal portions) and fill the envelope with the shredded mess and send it back, let them foot the bill  :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
DROA is well known for sending these types of mail. I'd just ignore it.
They have the same thing up here.

I've got a few in the mail and they had some big 'YOUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE' on the envelope.

The first time I got one my mom rushed downstairs thinking I was about to lose our company domain or something :p

Francisco

shovenose

Verified Provider
+1 This made me LOL 
I have done this in the past, but they aren't always pre-paid if they want me to pay for it I don't bother.

I get DROA notices about every week, every time I call they are rude when I say I want to stop getting them.

walesmd

I used to get them all the time. There's an Android app called PaperKarma that works on them as well as damn near anything else. Take a picture of your junk mail, tap a button and watch it disappear for free.

I'm sure the company is selling my info, or hopefully just anonimized market research; but I definitely haven't noticed an increase in junk mail.

PS: You should get a yellow Symantec envelope soon. If you register on their website and download the white paper it's referring to they really do send you the 8GB flash drive! It's sitting in my night stand with my private keys stored on it. \o/

shovenose

Verified Provider
I used to get them all the time. There's an Android app called PaperKarma that works on them as well as damn near anything else. Take a picture of your junk mail, tap a button and watch it disappear for free.

I'm sure the company is selling my info, or hopefully just anonimized market research; but I definitely haven't noticed an increase in junk mail.

PS: You should get a yellow Symantec envelope soon. If you register on their website and download the white paper it's referring to they really do send you the 8GB flash drive! It's sitting in my night stand with my private keys stored on it. \o/
How do I get a free 8GB flash drive?

walesmd

I can't believe I found this... the Google-fu is strong today. I also can't believe: 1) less than 250 people responded, or 2) they are still giving them away and just have that line there to entice more action.

This was easily a year ago, if not more...

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Maybe they just left it there as sort of an archived page? Or who knows, maybe people don't trust Symantec with their private information..

amuck-landowner