amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
So you're being as much of an ass as him?

Such logic. Right?
Thought it was rather silly putting your private email address in an image that's freely available to the public, don't see how i'm being an arse, and never have I stated he is and arse, so that's your opinion on both.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Unsure why this lad gets so much heat about his ideas.... Obviously, he isn't the best writer, nor does he care about data redundancy, nor is he investing in great hardware.... and he insists on BitCoin-only payments...

Yes, we all say our piece and some of us try to steer him in the right direction.

At the end of this experiment someone will be proven right.  I find it nice, even if it is flawed, to see someone thinking out loud in public... about a business that is relative to what we all do/use/involved in.

At times I feel all of us can be a tad harsh about competition, even if it isn't real yet :)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
General perception, not opinion.

I've yet to see anything constructive from you in this thread but I see plenty of trolling. So, while he is entirely misguided and a bit loony, his comment does stand - stay on topic.

kcaj

Meh, not quite... Bitpay will attract good and bad....

Majority of humans use PayPal for such payments..  Not offering it or something that accepts it, will limit your buyers greatly.
Yup, he's had all of this already explained to him but he refuses to see sense. He's been banging on about this on an IRC channel for the past day atleast.

"I don't want people to be able to open disputes once they realize they've been ripped off".
He hopes that most users leave their VPSes idle so that he can cram 500 VMs onto his KS-4.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
General perception, not opinion.

I've yet to see anything constructive from you in this thread but I see plenty of trolling. So, while he is entirely misguided and a bit loony, his comment does stand - stay on topic.
Who was this pointed at? Me?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Please keep on topic.
The topic, whether or not that was your intention, has shifted to how this is a bad idea and how you are being very unprofessional in going about it. Thus, pointing out that you have a hotmail.com address and not an @32mb.club address is on topic.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So looking at the specs, 16GB of RAM...

500 containers @ 32MB each = 16000MB out of 16384MB....  384MB for overflow, server management, etc.... meh, too small...  Better turn swap off and hope to never hit it on that gear.

What are we looking at on a default minimal Debian install? 50 processes?   At least as many threads...

50 x 500 = 25000 threads...  That's too many threads vs. hardware.

Considering the crypto overhead of VPN (likely most common use) --- anyone tested an i5?  I can't see it supporting too many simultaneous users... far shy of 500...

Time to benchmark that hardware by deploying a slew of containers and some workload...  relative crypto for VPN / openssl would be where I'd be looking and put a few hundred K sustained through each container crypto wise....

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Somehow I don't see a very rigorous testing process happening in the next 4 days...
Imagine that.... burn-in instead can be smoking a few cigs and issuing rm -rf's for fun... That poor drive is going to be violated.

Seriously, benchmarking such wouldn't be easy... Wondering if even such a tool exists or someone around here doinked with VZ commands to ship commands from master to mass of containers.... 

Wizards of VPS, make yourselves known...

@MannDude is buying someone one for testing, just because we must see this experiment to it's end outcome..

mtwiscool

So looking at the specs, 16GB of RAM...

500 containers @ 32MB each = 16000MB out of 16384MB....  384MB for overflow, server management, etc.... meh, too small...  Better turn swap off and hope to never hit it on that gear.

What are we looking at on a default minimal Debian install? 50 processes?   At least as many threads...

50 x 500 = 25000 threads...  That's too many threads vs. hardware.

Considering the crypto overhead of VPN (likely most common use) --- anyone tested an i5?  I can't see it supporting too many simultaneous users... far shy of 500...

Time to benchmark that hardware by deploying a slew of containers and some workload...  relative crypto for VPN / openssl would be where I'd be looking and put a few hundred K sustained through each container crypto wise....
it's 15 prepossess for a minamin debian 7 install.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Wondering if even such a tool exists or someone around here doinked with VZ commands to ship commands from master to mass of containers.... 

Wizards of VPS, make yourselves known...
That's simple enough to pull off.  Not something I would share with him, though.  Not for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner