amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

serverian

Verified Provider
perfect-match_o_419354.jpg

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Last call before the fall, fail, back to school.

Thanks for crunching the numbers in the thread.... Economics at best make this break even--- and that's with free labor / volunteers doing all the human work.

The price is literally too low.  Abuse will flow from this like a 4th of July picnic in a trailer park.  DMCAs, legal take downs, government nastygrams for info... they all take time to deal with.  That's not stuff you can delegate to volunteers, nor can you for long just ignore such.   So I'd say OP has at least 10 hours a week - 500+ hours a year to self-volunteer.  Talking about 2 hours a day Monday-Friday, after school, after any real job...

One payment issue with funds not accessible and you are done.

Other problem I see, in making the numbers work, server being used is likely lowly supported and not intended for such use/business.  So your upstream is bound to become mighty pissy about issues and your customers.

But, by all means have at it...  Having the gumption to try is worth something and you will learn.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
nnE87CoM7ZVxGDk.png

Well why would GVH/HVH/CC dabble?

Says right there - just to spite the people on vpsBoard...

IPv6, none native... maybe he can set up an HE tunnel :) Otherwise purely about IPv4 abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Someone go drop that image at the free VPS boards.  Hell, HF too.  Let him eat his words when he gets pestered for free hosting all day long :3

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Someone go drop that image at the free VPS boards. Hell, HF too. Let him eat his words when he gets pestered for free hosting all day long :3
Would only work if those pestering him pissed us off first. That's what this is all about: starting an anti-vpsBoard circlejerk. I'm sure ColoVPS would be happy to drop in.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Would only work if those pestering him pissed us off first. That's what this is all about: starting an anti-vpsBoard circlejerk. I'm sure ColoVPS would be happy to drop in.

I don't think it's a big secret but many of us more visible members here aren't fond of HF or FreeVPS stuff.

So GVH can include freebies to their huddled masses.  We send them away from here... Him picking them all up and housing and clothing and feeding them, yeah, that would spite us....  Go for it big boy.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
nnE87CoM7ZVxGDk.png

Well why would GVH/HVH/CC dabble?

Says right there - just to spite the people on vpsBoard...

IPv6, none native... maybe he can set up an HE tunnel :) Otherwise purely about IPv4 abuse.
LEB Kickstarter 3.0?

Whatever happened to Derek's project?

Francisco

wlanboy

Content Contributer
LEB Kickstarter 3.0?

Whatever happened to Derek's project?
It will come soon...

Back to topic:

This project might be fun for mtwiscool.

It might be something like publicity für GVH.

But both don't think about the feedback they get if their idea is running headlong into destruction.

shovenose

Verified Provider
I would be more than happy to provide servers for this. I have loads of Core2Duo boxes and a very underutilized fiber link :D

sundaymouse

I pay $0 a year for host1free VPS. OpenVZ 300 Mhz (not sure, maybe 800), 128MB oversold RAM, 10Mbps connection and 10GB disk. So I don't quite understand the point of this $1.5/yr VPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner