amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I bought a Pooh voodoo doll and a bunch of pins today.  Just thought I'd share that information. :)

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
half the users.

so whats wrong with that.
You have gone to and old Desktop Grade CPU compared to at least a server grade CPU, you have gone to a single disk.

So when that disk dies from crazy I/O load after a week, what you going to do? 

Your old Spec was bad enough for what you had planned.. your new one is just laughable..

coreyman

Verified Provider
You have gone to and old Desktop Grade CPU compared to at least a server grade CPU, you have gone to a single disk.

So when that disk dies from crazy I/O load after a week, what you going to do? 

Your old Spec was bad enough for what you had planned.. your new one is just laughable..
I'm not at all condoning what he's doing but have you looked at the benchmarks on this CPU vs the old one he was going to use? Sometimes 'server grade CPU' means nothing.

It's possible that his monitoring software is going to keep people from abusing the disk IO meaning that 1 disk could be ok.

You guys just seem to be bashing him on anything you can. "LOL YOUR NODEZ ARE FUNNYZZ CUZ THEY US0RZ i5"

Last edited by a moderator:

mtwiscool

I'm not at all condoning what he's doing but have you looked at the benchmarks on this CPU vs the old one he was going to use? Sometimes 'server grade CPU' means nothing.

It's possible that his monitoring software is going to keep people from abusing the disk IO meaning that 1 disk could be ok.
Thank You

this cpu has 75% of the power with 50% less ram = more cpu power per user.

and singal hdd will be the same as a 2 hdd raid one in proformemce maybe better due to no syncing if they is data loss the vps's will be remade blank as we will back up the users config files so we can just rebuild and if you looked on lowendtalk raid has not saved much data as alot of data loss would still be they on raid 1 as corrupted data get's synced.

so as long as the users back up all is fine.

coreyman

Verified Provider
Thank You

this cpu has 75% of the power with 50% less ram = more cpu power per user.

and singal hdd will be the same as a 2 hdd raid one in proformemce maybe better due to no syncing if they is data loss the vps's will be remade blank as we will back up the users config files so we can just rebuild and if you looked on lowendtalk raid has not saved much data as alot of data loss would still be they on raid 1 as corrupted data get's synced.

so as long as the users back up all is fine.
You are right, doing raid1 you will take a hit on performance.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
I'm bummed we have to wait 2-3 months for this.
I await the day this goes "live" and I can spend one of my hard earned £1 and test it out.

End of day I would happily help someone with something they wish to do, however just lowering spec's and going the opposite way to what everyone has said and suggested is just crazy.

Even with monitoring software that alone would not allow him to run 500 VM's which he needs to run to "break even".

People get bashed for talking about putting 10 VM's on a single disk, let alone 500!

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I'm bummed we have to wait 2-3 months for this.
2-3 months from idea to launch indicates he's putting more thought into this than the majority of new providers who post offers on LET.

typical low end launch timeline:

Day1 morning: "I'm thinking of starting a VeePeeEss service" thread

Day 1 afternoon: "Which datacenter and location should I use" thread

Day 1 night: "What is/How do I [fill in blank : RAID, SSH, OpenVZ, etc] thread

Day 2 morning: offer thread (text probably contains phrases like "we're an industry leading premium enterprise budget cloud more bang for your buck provider"

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
2-3 months from idea to launch indicates he's putting more thought into this than the majority of new providers who post offers on LET.

typical low end launch timeline:

Day1 morning: "I'm thinking of starting a VeePeeEss service" thread

Day 1 afternoon: "Which datacenter and location should I use" thread

Day 1 night: "What is/How do I [fill in blank : RAID, SSH, OpenVZ, etc] thread

Day 2 morning: offer thread (text probably contains phrases like "we're an industry leading premium enterprise budget cloud more bang for your buck provider"
Or £$?

coreyman

Verified Provider
I wanted to do a server quote for him, but he says he wants to do 'monthly only'......

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Why, why, WHY would you willingly subject your network to the abuse that would bring?  I sure as hell wouldn't want to know one of my neighbors was... that.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And that should've been your biggest warning sign right there.  A monthly service resold as yearly plans packed tighter than Auscwitz?  Either gross incompetence to the point of being completely unqualified (we already knew this, though) - or he's planning to just spend a month or two packing it full before dashing off with the payments.

coreyman

Verified Provider
And that should've been your biggest warning sign right there.  A monthly service resold as yearly plans packed tighter than Auscwitz?  Either gross incompetence to the point of being completely unqualified (we already knew this, though) - or he's planning to just spend a month or two packing it full before dashing off with the payments.
That's why I wanted to let the thread know that he was only wanting to pay monthly on this server, he has no long term goals. He could get better pricing on yearly.

mtwiscool

I have updated the website: http://32mb.club/

I hope you guys like this update.

And my reason for going monthly is if i have an issue with a host i can switch without losing the rest of the years payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner