amuck-landowner

US Air Force Bombs ISIS Location Using Social Media

telephone

Softpedia said:
Taking selfies can get pretty dangerous if your country is a war zone and you're an active combatant yourself, as an ISIS soldier found out the hard way after revealing his location on Twitter.

Since ISIS has been pretty active in the past on social media recruiting new members, US intelligence were watching various accounts and following a selfie taken and posted on Twitter, they were able to determine the location of an ISIS HQ.

Since the tweet was quite specific and the terrorist was bragging about the military capabilities of Daesh, ISIL, one of the smaller ISIS groups in Syria, in less than 22 hours, the US sent an air strike and destroyed the building from which the tweet was sent out.

“It was a post on social media to bombs on target in less than 24 hours,” said U.S. Air Force General Hawk Carlisle for Defense Tech.

The entire situation is quite comical and makes you ponder if being active on social media while you're engaged and fighting a war might be such a good idea.

Certainly, you can expect lesser social media activity by ISIS members from now on, or at least you'll only hear from the terrorists capable of turning a device's geo-location feature off.

---

Source: http://webscripts.softpedia.com/blog/ISIS-Terrorist-Gives-Away-Base-Location-on-Twitter-U-S-Air-Force-Replies-with-a-Bomb-483364.shtml

Linked Article: http://defensetech.org/2015/06/03/us-air-force-targets-and-destroys-isis-hq-building-using-social-media/
Remember guys, if you're planning on being a terrorist, TURN OFF geo-tagging!

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Won't see many photos from me... I fear/detest geotagging and artifacts from such modern devices...

Back I go to the 35mm photo lab :)

Munzy

/joins isis and takes a picture of the white house (look isis head quarters)

I wonder how long before this becomes abused by someone and they start attacking the wrong things.

Mun

tonyg

What I don't get is why the military disclosed the fact that this was the way they found the location.

You would think to keep it hush and allow ISIS to continue with the selfies and social media postings.

telephone

What I don't get is why the military disclosed the fact that this was the way they found the location.

You would think to keep it hush and allow ISIS to continue with the selfies and social media postings.
Publicity. Everyday the news covers ISIS, bringing up their cruelty or refugees that are left homeless, etc. The US needs good publicity to back their decision to send air support.

For all we know, the air strike was a failure as the building was deserted or empty at the time. There's no mention of ISIS individuals or innocent bystanders in the article.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Or just people going:

"Hey Phil, did you see that?  One of those idiots uploaded a picture to facebook and we took them down." 

"Ha Mike that's hilarious!" 

*Later at the Pub*

"Hey James, did you hear what Mike did earlier today?  He went all CSI and found a terrorist's location thanks to a picture on their friendster.  Absolutely hilarious!  A knee slapper right there!"

"Ha Phil that's a hilarious story!  I really love being your friend!"

*Then a game of @telephone is played*

News: "Terrorists uploaded a picture to MySpace and was bombed to the stone ages."

Moral of the Story: Don't use MySpace

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Or just people going:

"Hey Phil, did you see that?  One of those idiots uploaded a picture to facebook and we took them down." 

"Ha Mike that's hilarious!" 

*Later at the Pub*

"Hey James, did you hear what Mike did earlier today?  He went all CSI and found a terrorist's location thanks to a picture on their friendster.  Absolutely hilarious!  A knee slapper right there!"

"Ha Phil that's a hilarious story!  I really love being your friend!"

*Then a game of @telephone is played*

News: "Terrorists uploaded a picture to MySpace and was bombed to the stone ages."

Moral of the Story: Don't use MySpace
Or just don't befriend Tom. Problem solved.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Please tell me you're actually not naive enough to think that social media gave them the target.  It gave them a point to investigate, after which a decision would be made on whether it was a valid target.

amuck-landowner