amuck-landowner

Volumedrive about to deadpool?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Is it me or is Burst.net's own website offline?

Looks like they've been down for hours now... Oh boy...

Smacked VD and now VD stricken by malicious traffic.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Burst's public website is still down.

What a bunch of bumbling do-dos Burst is.

Nah, man just leave our corporate site down. That site gets a boatload of traffic and certainly is a common path to the cash register.

They give venture money to these guys ehh? Well, at least their entire datacenter isn't offline.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
With all the information presented, I personally still side with BurstNET.  Hell their actions might make me want to get a VM with them.  Until the dust settles, we can't be sure but from the current looks of it I'm with BurstNET.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Pie, look at recent reviews before you do that. Last time I checked Burst's VPSes out they were, umm, weak.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Pie, look at recent reviews before you do that. Last time I checked Burst's VPSes out they were, umm, weak.
Hm...  Well didn't really check the reviews but I liked the way the guy tried to work with the people on this. 

of course this could just be another Kevin Adam play, but meh. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I say it's about 50/50 now. I don't trust VD or BurstNET after reading some of those posts. The fact that BurstNET was so quick to post information that a provider probably shouldn't be posting publicly already made them look suspicious. Once somebody from VD started posting it made BurstNET look even worse even if only half of what VD was posting was true.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Didn't I say on here earlier that wait until they pick apart VD's owner :)   I didn't have time to dig...

Part of that end exchange with the fake account, someone knew someone that staged that.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I say it's about 50/50 now. I don't trust VD or BurstNET after reading some of those posts. The fact that BurstNET was so quick to post information that a provider probably shouldn't be posting publicly already made them look suspicious. Once somebody from VD started posting it made BurstNET look even worse even if only half of what VD was posting was true.
I'd like to think BurstNET has more integrity than VolumeDrive, but I've never heard much great about VD. Even if what BurstNET says is true, seems a bit too much.

Either way, good read. Neither company I planned on doing business with either time soon. Probably won't in the future either.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Remember, this is all from the outside looking in.

I too side with Burst at the moment. There could have been an issue building up for a while and VD have screwed them over royally despite Burst holding out their hand to help them - yet again. If you take what GoRack have said, there's no way you can come to any conclusion other than VD has screwed over another provider.

Jeffrey

I'll personally have to side with VD on this one.  BurstNET has a really weird TOS as far as invoices go, and overdue invoices go.  Their end of billing is a complete disgrace.

RyanD

Verified Provider
I'll personally have to side with VD on this one.  BurstNET has a really weird TOS as far as invoices go, and overdue invoices go.  Their end of billing is a complete disgrace.
You guys that are sticking behind VD here are way off....

I say that, knowing some of the specifics behind both of the disasters from VD, including the amounts they abandoned and walked out on in past-due funds from GoRack

Also we have a great relationship with their Leasing Vendor. Like BurstNet we also frequently refer smaller hosts to them and help smaller colocation clients obtain financing to grow. A simple fact is leasing companies DO NOT want to take back hardware, often times before taking the actions of repossession they will contact a partner, such as ourselves (without disclosing the client in trouble) letting us know they will be taking back X,Y,Z would we be interested in taking the hardware. Within the last month, during a visit to our offices the leasing company let us know they had a significant client in the "north east" that was significantly behind and they were starting to take action. We had asked them to make an introduction as we may be interested in assuming the assets (with client approval) that client never followed up :)

Additionally, I know what things cost (the servers), space, power, network, etc.

There is no secret sauce here, you cannot over-subscribe physical assets or your financing... things have costs you cannot avoid. Their costs simply were greater than their incoming revenue. 

Their initial launch of the $49 E3 would have been great as a marketing promotion of a limited inventory to use as a loss leader to build brand identity. Unfortunately they carried that through as a standard product which is simply unsustainable.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Yup.

The whole thread degenerated into rounds of mudslinging.

If only half of each information is true both do not look that good.

And I don't believe that "there are still servers here and we want to help VD's customers" any longer.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am so glad we have @RyanD on here contributing.

Spot on about the loss leader on the $49 E3.

VD has income and likely subsidizing things from other streams (VPS maybe?)  But selling those E3's all at a loss or neutral gain, haha!  

jarland

The ocean is digital
They did $50/m E3's with 16GB RAM.

Who in their right mind can do that, even when leasing? Where are you making any margin to cover the cost of gear?

It's easy to 'make that price work' when you aren't paying any of your vendors.

No one does $50/m E3's unless they need to move inventory now because they're fucked otherwise. No one in their right mind goes and continues to lease equipment hoping to make that, a /28, & 100mbit unmetered work.

Francisco
Online.net pulls it off pretty nicely, but apparently it's an easier task in France. VolumeDrive had the benefit of being the lowest priced E3 in the US (as far as I'm aware, aside from limited promotions, they still qualify there), but the massive dumping of L5420's on the US market really changed the playing field.

My guess is that they aimed to break even and build a name, followed by a second phase that they just assumed would come to them at the bottom of a bottle of scotch one night and never did. I can drink to that...but what a risk for an unforeseen and nearly unattainable reward. They lost that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
France has very cheap power and you pretty much don't pay for bandwidth. Everyone and their dog uses the 'open peering' project that OVH pretty much runs. It's pretty much free bandwidth :p

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Open peering aka peering exchange?

OVH's network even in the States is pretty good. I am a big fan of peer exchanges, but not many providers that delve into them heavily have managed to do so well. US being such a big place means bad routing can get really bad and long. Less impactful to err this way in place like Europe.

amuck-landowner