amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements and availability

clarity

I like the ads. I do think some padding or margin should be removed to make it not so spacious on the top, but it is a positive overall. How many ads are currently in rotation? I seem to get the same 2 top ads every time.

It does look a little LETy, but I do understand the reasoning behind them. I just hope that the reasoning continues to hold true.

Edit: It might make some sense to center the ad over the forum section and pull the sidebar up. It would make it flow better/easier for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I like the ads. I do think some padding or margin should be removed to make it not so spacious on the top, but it is a positive overall. How many ads are currently in rotation? I seem to get the same 2 top ads every time.

It does look a little LETy, but I do understand the reasoning behind them. I just hope that the reasoning continues to hold true.

Edit: It might make some sense to center the ad over the forum section and pull the sidebar up. It would make it flow better/easier for me.
Howdy!

Well from my understanding several people who have requested ad space have not sent in their ads and/or payments.  Therefore the numbers are still a bit off but we're working on it!

In terms of the aesthetics of the views I can see what we can do.  

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Adblock Plus seems to block the advertisement on the top, but not the ones in the sidebar.
Same for me - and I found the reason ... iframe ...

too much space border between the header ad and content 
And found the reason:

<!-- ::: CONTENT ::: -->
<div class='ipsAd'><br />
<center>
<iframe align="center" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" height="90" width="728" src="http://a.vpsboard.com/data/top/"></iframe>
</center>
<br /><br /></div>

I would remove the <center> and add this to the class "ipsAd":

ipsAd {
display: block;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto
}

Better way to center objects.

And please remove the <br/> - they cost a lot of space.

And why a iframe for a pix?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
You probably want to change the 'Ad' text.

It's quite possible it's catching that name.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Currently in rotation? 3 up top, should be 4. Waiting for Fran man to get an ad submitted to be the fourth in rotation. Ten on the side I believe, some folks reserved a spot but haven't gotten back to me. Guess I should open up the other 6 spots to the public.

I'll see about the template change. (bringing the sidebar up). IPB is a mess, I hate making template changes and unsure where to go about this. I'll have to dig my Raspberry Pi out of a box that has a local copy of vpsBoard on it so I can try this out via trial and error until I get it right, haha.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Same for me - and I found the reason ... iframe ...

And found the reason:

<!-- ::: CONTENT ::: -->
<div class='ipsAd'><br />
<center>
<iframe align="center" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" height="90" width="728" src="http://a.vpsboard.com/data/top/"></iframe>
</center>
<br /><br /></div>

I would remove the <center> and add this to the class "ipsAd":

ipsAd {
display: block;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto
}

Better way to center objects.

And please remove the <br/> - they cost a lot of space.

And why a iframe for a pix?
Will work on this soon. Spacing is better now.

Why an iFrame? Why not? It works, doesn't interfere with those who block javascript. Open to suggestions on a better method of integrating them.

You probably want to change the 'Ad' text.

It's quite possible it's catching that name.

Francisco
Yup, seems to be it.

Add Host Mist to the backup reserve list for a 125 x 125 spot.
No need for the backup reserve list. Just shoot me a PM.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
K, fixed the whole Ad Block issue with the top banner being blocked and sidebar displaying. Both display by default.

Not going to dive into it now, as I've got no clue where to begin with it, but eventually would be nice to have the template modified to appear like: http://i.imgur.com/TJTjzqT.png (someone suggested it). Sidebar raised, ad centered over content.

shovenose

Verified Provider
K, fixed the whole Ad Block issue with the top banner being blocked and sidebar displaying. Both display by default.

Not going to dive into it now, as I've got no clue where to begin with it, but eventually would be nice to have the template modified to appear like: http://i.imgur.com/TJTjzqT.png (someone suggested it). Sidebar raised, ad centered over content.
That would be good, and easy.

clarity

If you want/need, I can probably help with this. I am sure that you are more than capable of doing it yourself, but I figured that I would offer it up just in case. I am a tinkerer!

clarity

If your just modifying a template file, it can't be that bad. Just move the ad right before the forum loop in the same div or section, and that should get you 98% there.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
If your just modifying a template file, it can't be that bad. Just move the ad right before the forum loop in the same div or section, and that should get you 98% there.
I'll look into this later, promise. Would look much nicer indeed.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
When?

Screencap of moderation log below. I didn't remove anything. Don't believe anyone else did. Let me know when and I've got database backups made every 2 hours, so I can look into it and restore it.

Sure you didn't just send me a PM or comment in a similar thread in another forum?

JKJblBY.png

Probably did, must of been one you asked for an opinion not a signup.  No worries.

rm_

Finally sold out, have we... Of course it's such a huge expense running a simple forum with a hundred or so visitors, absolutely need to put five huge ass banners to at least somehow try to cover it...

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Finally sold out, have we... Of course it's such a huge expense running a simple forum with a hundred or so visitors, absolutely need to put five huge ass banners to at least somehow try to cover it...
I really don't know what cockroach crawled into your bottle of vodka but shit son, you've had a chip in your shoulder for years now.

I can't speak for everyone else but I personally expect no new business over the ad. I bought the most expensive ad that Curtis is rotating to help the site out as best I can.

If you don't like the community you're welcome to not post, visit, or anything else.

If you want to take part? Do so by all means, but Curtis has been upfront with his costs and his personal situation.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Selling out would have taken that $20K offer RLT made me so they could secretly own the site. Selling out would be me being biased towards providers and censoring content that they didn't like.

I sold a small number of ads for a relatively low price for the impressions. I'm not trying to drain these people dry. vpsBoard isn't free to run, and it takes more time then you can imagine dealing with reported content, responding to PMs, people hitting me up on Skype about site related stuff, on IRC, and keeping things in check. This is time I could spend doing other things but vpsBoard is what gets the attention to maintain a quality community and keep people happy. Ad-revenue is what will fuel the growth of this site, not like I'm using it to put a down payment on a nice new car or taking a lavish vacation.

Just re-read the thread if you have concerns, chances are you'll likely have them answered by the time you reach this final page.

If you have any specific questions not already asked, I'll be happy to answer them like always.

KS_Phillip

Verified Provider
I can't speak for everyone else but I personally expect no new business over the ad. I bought the most expensive ad that Curtis is rotating to help the site out as best I can.

Francisco
Same here, really.  Help the site out, get a little bit of awareness for the charity stuff and special events we participate in.  Don't expect much new business from it ;)

amuck-landowner