amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements and availability

bizzard

Side banners look fine for me, but I hate large banners, for no specific reasons. If that can be avoided, it will be great.

rm_

Dunno what is the situation at the moment, I already added an AdBlock Plus filter. But indeed it is the upper banner that was obnoxious the most, absolutely huge ass and over the top.

And yes, maybe it's something personal, yes I run my projects without any ads almost out of a principle, to give my visitors a good experience and not have them sold/tracked/etc. So I will never understand the greed which causes people to cover their websites in not just one but as many as possible crappy annoying ads. I guess it's the normal capitalist mentality to care about money above everything else, and screw anyone who disagrees or stands in the way of GETTING PROFIT. Still sad that even small communities have to be like this.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
What makes you think it's greed?

Running a website that has a highish volume of traffic and attracts the attention of certain morons (we all know who) who are hellbent on taking down or attacking the competition or similar sites takes time, effort and money. The majority of us don't live in the same, money free, utopian world that you do. Things cost money. This community that is essentially run by itself, costs money. It's just a little sad that those who pay for it are having to shell out money to see this kind of crap.

It's like paying someone to shit in your kettle.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I requested one of the spots but didn't get contacted about it?

Looks like I sent my PM to ipxadam for ipxcore.

I didn't have a list of who said they wanted one. Only the companies interested. I apologize that I contacted the wrong person.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Dunno what is the situation at the moment, I already added an AdBlock Plus filter. But indeed it is the upper banner that was obnoxious the most, absolutely huge ass and over the top.

And yes, maybe it's something personal, yes I run my projects without any ads almost out of a principle, to give my visitors a good experience and not have them sold/tracked/etc. So I will never understand the greed which causes people to cover their websites in not just one but as many as possible crappy annoying ads. I guess it's the normal capitalist mentality to care about money above everything else, and screw anyone who disagrees or stands in the way of GETTING PROFIT. Still sad that even small communities have to be like this.
I feel like you have no idea what the intent behind the money is. MannDude isn't planning to pocket all of it, I feel he documented the usage of said money fairly well, and it holds potential to benefit the community directly, rather than disappearing into nowhere like LET/LEB does.

As long as this community isn't owned by a company that is shady and operates under unethical business practices, the ads can stay and be as huge as they need to be in my opinion. I'm not saying that because I am paying for an ad, I'm saying AND paying for an ad because I want to promote and support a community that isn't ran by people after profits any way possible.

Damian

Verified Provider
Looks like I sent my PM to ipxadam for ipxcore.

I didn't have a list of who said they wanted one. Only the companies interested. I apologize that I contacted the wrong person.
Ah, I figured you would have contacted the person who made the request :p

So are there any spots available then?

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Ah, I do appreciate your concerns as I feel that you're likely not the only one who shares them.

Lets see:

I already added an AdBlock Plus filte
That is an easy solution, and one I recommend anyone who doesn't want to see them. Then they're gone and you can concentrate on the content of this community and interact without such blinding distraction.

And yes, maybe it's something personal, yes I run my projects without any ads almost out of a principle, to give my visitors a good experience and not have them sold/tracked/etc.
Now I'm a little disappointed, only because it's obvious you didn't read my last response, or really, any response in this thread.

The ad-system was custom made for vpsBoard, and is ran in-house. We've done a lot of things to keep stuff in-house and keep privacy high. We ditched Google, made our search function better with Sphinx to replace the better than default option where Google Custom Search was the best alternative. We ditched Google analytics, run Piwik on it's own server to collect that data, no Google there (See Privacy Policy for link on how to opt-out of tracking if you're concerned about that too). Serve our JS/CSS in-house as well, whereas before it was done via Google. And guess what? Our advertisements are served in-house, not using a 3rd party, no 'spy network', no data to sell.

For more information, please see the thread here which discusses the ad-system: http://vpsboard.com/topic/1842-openads-a-free-and-opensource-advertising-system-for-serving-ads-in-house/ It's open source so feel free to dig through the code as well to alleviate whatever concerns you have. If you see anything that is secretly sending data to a 3rd party, please let me know.

So I will never understand the greed which causes people to cover their websites in not just one but as many as possible crappy annoying ads. I guess it's the normal capitalist mentality to care about money above everything else, and screw anyone who disagrees or stands in the way of GETTING PROFIT. Still sad that even small communities have to be like this.
Man, I'm really greedy for doing something to grow this website. You do realize I'm not pocketing all the ad money, right? It's obvious you've not read any of this thread so I'll repeat myself just to make it clear.

The ad-revenue is being spent on vpsBoard. We're going to get a HA setup rolling, so in the event FiberHub has another power failure or if Fran messes something up (lol, just kidding) we'll still be online. Contests with cool prizes to encourage new original content and help grow the community.

Will I pocket any cash? Yeah, probably, a bit. The time I spend doing work for vpsBoard is growing daily, and is distracting me from time that I could or should be spending doing paid work to live. If that makes me greedy, then well, sorry. I'm a 25 year old man who lives on his own. If lived at home or something with no cost of living, I'd be happy to continue doing everything out of pocket and neglecting paid work to run this place, but I just can't. Not only me, but I've made it clear that Martin (Who I believe has turned down the offer) and Don are both welcome to a fair share of revenue for their efforts managing this place as well, after what is set-aside for everything else I have mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

clarity

Works fine in IE 10.
It also works fine in IE 9. It might be a slight bug, but I am sure that it is not that large of an issue. i just thought that something had changed over night. I like seeing the adds. They are integrated into the site pretty well, and they are still pretty classy to me. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Slick ad.  Makes you look like a big grown up business.

I was expecting some rainbows and studs gone wild.

amuck-landowner