amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Hey everyone, I think it's time we have a chat. I'd like to get your input on something.

First off, I'm very thankful all of you are here. When people tell me privately, 'congrats' in regards to vpsBoard, I tell them I've really not done anything. This place was just sitting around more or less idle and you flocked here, making this place what it is now. It's great.

Now, as the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of implementing some advertising to maintain vpsBoard and to ensure that we're always up and running. Some of you likely won't be thrilled, some likely won't care, some indifferent. Gaining your input will help direct me in the proper way to proceed. If you've got questions, I'll also be more than happy to answer them.

Now, for some random tidbits of information for your consideration:

1.) Ads would be served in-house, not via BuySellAds program or anything. The cost saved by not having to give a 3rd party a cut can be passed onto the advertisers.

2.) Non-congested ad spots, meaning less ads in rotation for more exposure for the advertiser.

3.) Maayybbeee will be able to implement 'guest only' ads, where guests and unlogged-in members will see them. Log in, they're gone. Though I am uncertain if that will be sufficient.

4.) You and I both know that if you don't wish to see ads, you can block them via browser plugins...

Basically, what I was thinking of adding (4) 125X125 ad spots to the sidebar. You could use the same ads you had designed for LET/LEB and possibly one larger ad at the top of the pages (banner ad). For the 125X125 ad spots, there would likely be 16 spots sold and rotated. If a banner ad at the top is added, likely 5 to 6 of those sold. There would also be a limit on how many ad-spots a provider could purchase, as I don't want all ads displayed be from a single provider. The rates would be competitively low to allow some lesser known providers a chance of advertising.

So, now that it's out in the open. Let's discuss this. Let's see how we can make this work for both vpsBoard and for the visitors and the members that represent companies that frequent here.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Personally, I'm totally fine with it as long as it doesn't go into some super-money making activity and the site's focus mainly being on the income *cough*. What you've propsed sounds just fine to me. ;-)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Personally, I'm totally fine with it as long as it doesn't go into some super-money making activity and the site's focus mainly being on the income *cough*. What you've propsed sounds just fine to me. ;-)
Yeah, not attempting to rake in anything significant. Whatever is earned will be used to pay for vpsBoard and then split between the helping hands of vpsBoard.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
+1

I'm all for it and I think that it would be a legitimate way to support the forum. It takes allot of work to properly maintain a forum and keep the quality standards high. As far as being a "money making activity" as @ called it, I don't think that there would be anything wrong with the staff getting compensated for their work. I mean shoot, at the end of the day this could be a full time job for some of the admins. Keeping a good balance and staying neutral when it comes to, both providers and other community members, is very important.

[edit]

I've got no problem with advertisements from people that have a presence on the forum.
I like @BK_'s remark as well, he's makes a good point.

3.) Maayybbeee will be able to implement 'guest only' ads, where guests and unlogged-in members will see them. Log in, they're gone. Though I am uncertain if that will be sufficient.
@MannDude they should be on all the time, however ads need to be reviewed before being accepted and ensured that they are done in good taste and in accordance with the high quality standards of this forum. I am saying this because I remember those "cougar/stake/beef/cow" ads from last year on LET.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mun

Never Forget
I would rather have you use project wonderful for the ads. The reason being is that anyone can advertise. The other great thing about that, is there is nothing super shady that you gave one person a deal at $5 and another costed $20.

Mun

Mun

Never Forget
Is that an affiliate link? ;)
Yes remove it if you like.

Also note:

It won't help me unless @manndude starts buying ads. 

"We keep track of everyone you refer, and whenever they spend money you get 3% of what credited to your account, as our way of saying thanks!

In other words, for every $100 they spend, you'll earn $3, for as long as they're members. Plus, that gets multipled across every single person you refer. The more people you refer, the more you earn!

We'll credit your earnings on the first of every month, a little after midnight. Full reports are available to you 24/7!"

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylarM

Verified Provider
I agree with the active members of the community can do advertising bit. Like the sounds of that ;)

Mun

Never Forget
Chill pill dude - was just being a troll :)

also, re your signature... :p

I'd rather explain then have people freak out over an Aff link. If you don't like it, right click the link, copy link, paste link, and delete the tag statement, thus no aff.

(Transparency: I work for myself?)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'd just like to say thanks to all of our community members out there who've helped us grow in the few months we've been in operation!  We hope that this will also reduce the drain on MannDude's accounts (especially since he's currently paying everything out of pocket).  He's the man and has already invested so much of his time and money into vpsBoard!  

Mun

Never Forget
I'd just like to say thanks to all of our community members out there who've helped us grow in the few months we've been in operation!  We hope that this will also reduce the drain on MannDude's accounts (especially since he's currently paying everything out of pocket).  He's the man and has already invested so much of his time and money into vpsBoard!  

Ill give out some cash if he really needs it. PM me manndude if this is the case. 

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I think an unecessarily dire picture has been painted here - it's really not the case so don't worry!

I'm thinking it's just more to cover the running costs and who knows, if there's money left over there could be competitions and the like I guess!

amuck-landowner