amuck-landowner

vpsBoard advertisements.

earl

Personally I like ADS.. especially if it's a good deal:) not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel sort to speak just to save a few bucks.. I would go with BSA and the exposure you get from being listed on their site alone will probably compensate the 25% that they charge for commission..That and the fact that you would not need to worry about setting up your own software for ADs and they take care of billings for you seems worth it IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

concerto49

Verified Provider
Also, who would seriously be interested in ad-space?

I'm not going to reserve spots and this isn't you 'signing up', just trying to get a rough idea of who is interested so I can plan accordingly. Pricing not yet decided nor have restrictions (may limit ad spots to 2 spots per advertiser to prevent LET style wall of URPad or CVPS ads).
It depends on hits and likely conversion ratios, so possibly.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It depends on hits and likely conversion ratios, so possibly.
No idea what would be likely conversions or click through, but here are some stats:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/vpsboard.com

Wykvj0c.png

About the spike in traffic between May 30th and June 7th: A member here decided to purchase 'traffic' from Fiverr to 'increase the SEO' or something. I found this out after mentioning (offsite) that the traffic for the past couple days was really high where I was then informed about their 'gift'. I wasn't happy as I was hoping to be able to have accurate reporting of traffic in case I needed to share the stats. Proof: http://i.imgur.com/Wykvj0c.png

This was only for one week thankfully. The rest of the traffic stats after that date are accurate.

Anything else I should include or address?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
That's not a bad idea but trying to scout a free platform that'd also allow those purchasing ad spots can have some control over their account (see stats and do things themselves like uploading banners, etc)
Not to rain on your parade but there are rarely free products that do all that and would integrate without problems.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Also, who would seriously be interested in ad-space?

I'm not going to reserve spots and this isn't you 'signing up', just trying to get a rough idea of who is interested so I can plan accordingly. Pricing not yet decided nor have restrictions (may limit ad spots to 2 spots per advertiser to prevent LET style wall of URPad or CVPS ads).

You already know I am interested in a couple for my new non-hosting related project.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Yeah, what is/will be the policy on non-hosting ads?

Unless the non-hosting related advertisements will be advertising on how to increase your penis size I don't see why there would be an issue for it. 

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
What about people like me, who are interested in VPS offers and increasing my penis size?
I will share a well known method with you.

Step 1: Locate a low end vps

Step 2: Buy said low end vps

Step 3: Run io tests on low end vps until you get the lowest result

Step 4: Post review threads containing such low result.

Step 5: Wait for trolls to reply.

Step 6: Enjoy your enlarged body part.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What do you guys think about the ad-placement? I'm not sold on the top one yet but have had interest from providers in it so I will consider it.

1 header ad spot and 4 sidebar ad spots. Using an ad pulled from WHT for the banner and obviously LET ones for the example in the sidebar. There will be less ads in rotation so despite the fact that LET has more visitors, I am hoping that by having less ads in rotation will allow better exposure of the advertisers and more clicks for you.

oGS3qQw.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Personally I like ADS.. especially if it's a good deal:) not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel sort to speak just to save a few bucks.. I would go with BSA and the exposure you get from being listed on their site alone will probably compensate the 25% that they charge for commission..That and the fact that you would not need to worry about setting up your own software for ADs and they take care of billings for you seems worth it IMO.
Well, BuySell Ads has already denied vpsboard for some reason. I submitted the property and never heard anything, so re-submitted it the following day and was told in an error message I'd have to wait another 30 days. I submitted a ticket to ask for a reason as to why, and never heard back. I was interested in seeing their platform and what not, but I can live without. My only guess is that it wasn't accepted due to there being a lot of talk (at the time) of the SolusVM Exploit, of the CVPS and Ramnode Hack, etc. It probably made it look like this was a sketchy forum or something. I don't know.

Not to rain on your parade but there are rarely free products that do all that and would integrate without problems.
Yeah, probably will just go with IP. Nexus. Wasn't necessarily looking for a free product, but depending on what I hear back from IPB clients on the IPB Client forum then I'll proceed with getting IP.Nexus for this.

It needs to be relevant to the interests of the community. This could be blogs, physical hardware, review sites, or whatever.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well, just stating this so that people realize how advertisers work...

The advertisers want a return on their investments.  This is usually done by viewing what kind of traffic a website gets (e.g. tech savvy individuals, hosting, etc.) and then displaying hopefully relevant advertisement for majority of the userbase.  

This means that most of them should be able to make a better educated judgement on what kind of advertisements they want to display/should be displayed.  Hell it could even be a new VPS Control Panel company that wants more brand awareness or such.  So I don't see any issues with non-hosting related websites if the owner/advertiser believes them in terms of traffic.  

Bottom line though, will probably be PG/PG-13 advertisements only.  

TheLinuxBug

You know, maybe I am just annoyed in general, but seriously you invited us all here and said this wasn't going to be a commercial venture and you said that you were able to support it regardless of its size and here we are playing the lets put ads on the site game? More than a few people have offered money, time and expertise to help with the site. Here I thought that was the meaning of a community, everyone coming together to make something work?  Instead, much like a large portion of this thread, it seems like all everyone is seeing is $$$$$$$$.  

I have no doubt that every provider here is ready to pitch money for ads, after all, who wouldn't want their name all over a forum.  Do some psychological research, if you put flashy items on a site and promote it as "good" and the customer values the forum content, this is an automatic endorsement of said item.  So, people will tend to spend their money on it because they think the ads reflect the opinions of said community. Do we get a say in which ads get posted? Unless of course this is a commercial venture and not a community?  With WHT and LET now, it is common knowledge, they are there for among all other reasons, to make money, is that the goal here as well?  I thought it was to provide people a free and open source of information about this industry, its providers and to help people learn? 

I will restate what I said before, I do not believe this site is actually costing you that much money to sustain, and before you proceed to put ads on it, I would like an explanation of what those costs are that you are unable to afford? I have a sneaking suspicion with a few reasonable contributors you could pay for the whole thing without need of ads. Please, prove me wrong. 

Cheers!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
You know, maybe I am just annoyed in general, but seriously you invited us all here and said this wasn't going to be a commercial venture and you said that you were able to support it regardless of its size and here we are playing the lets put ads on the site game? More than a few people have offered money, time and expertise to help with the site. Here I thought that was the meaning of a community, everyone coming together to make something work?  Instead, much like a large portion of this thread, it seems like all everyone is seeing is $$$$$$$$.  

I have no doubt that every provider here is ready to pitch money for ads, after all, who wouldn't want their name all over a forum.  Do some psychological research, if you put flashy items on a site and promote it as "good" and the customer values the forum content, this is an automatic endorsement of said item.  So, people will tend to spend their money on it because they think the ads reflect the opinions of said community. Do we get a say in which ads get posted? Unless of course this is a commercial venture and not a community?  With WHT and LET now, it is common knowledge, they are there for among all other reasons, to make money, is that the goal here as well?  I thought it was to provide people a free and open source of information about this industry, its providers and to help people learn? 

I will restate what I said before, I do not believe this site is actually costing you that much money to sustain, and before you proceed to put ads on it, I would like an explanation of what those costs are that you are unable to afford? I have a sneaking suspicion with a few reasonable contributors you could pay for the whole thing without need of ads. Please, prove me wrong. 

Cheers!
Your concerns are valid and I feel are shared among many here. You're likely not alone in thinking this and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Basically, I'm a situation where I need to re-evaluate things. I didn't expect the site to grow this fast.

The cost of hosting right now is low, very low. There is no denying it. BuyVM is great, but geographically speaking, Las Vegas is not a good location for the visitor base here. People complain too often of poor performance, poor loading speeds, etc. But I stay here because of the affordable DDoS protection, which is something very much needed.

I'd like to move elsewhere, closer to the visitors. Or at the very least, be able to afford a better setup to have content closer to those accessing it. That I can not do out of pocket.

Many have offered donations and services, but then what happens? I've had more offers for free stuff than I can count, and while I am grateful, I am hesitant. I don't want to deal with explaining to XYZ host why I took the plan from ZYX host instead of theirs. I dont want the community to think I'm in bed with ZYX host because they're hosting us for free (and honestly, half the offers for free hosting are in locations not that ideal for the site). Donations I was open to, but what happens on the months when there are none? Assuming, for example, the site is hosted elsewhere and we were using $200/mo DDoS protection from Cloudflare, where does that money come from?

I'm not wanting to make a living off this, but I'd like to be able to afford a better setup to serve content to the visitors better.

Keep in mind when I started this forum I was working at URPad, and people didn't want to come here because of that thinking it was going to be to promote that. I made good money there, but left after the company sold and wanted me to relocate to Houston, TX. The 30th of May was my last day there, and I have been living off of savings since then. On a personal note, my savings wasn't that big. My lease is almost up and I will be moving out of this house into a cheaper apartment downtown. I just started a part time temporary job yesterday working for another company and that will be a 4-6 week job. What is left over at the end of the month after upgrading things it will be split between myself and Don. Martin says he doesn't want any, but I was going to split the leftovers with those who keep this place running. (Unlike LET/WHT).

I'm trying to keep things honest and trying to keep things good. I can accept free stuff and deal with speculation and the possibility that the site may be up/down due to moving around often if donations are insufficient month to month or I can sell ad-space, do so honestly, get a much better setup so this place can remain stable, fast, and grow and get compensated very poorly with what is left over for the amount of time and effort I put into here dealing with stuff.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Your concerns are valid and I feel are shared among many here. You're likely not alone in thinking this and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Basically, I'm a situation where I need to re-evaluate things. I didn't expect the site to grow this fast.

The cost of hosting right now is low, very low. There is no denying it. BuyVM is great, but geographically speaking, Las Vegas is not a good location for the visitor base here. People complain too often of poor performance, poor loading speeds, etc. But I stay here because of the affordable DDoS protection, which is something very much needed.

I'd like to move elsewhere, closer to the visitors. Or at the very least, be able to afford a better setup to have content closer to those accessing it. That I can not do out of pocket.

Many have offered donations and services, but then what happens? I've had more offers for free stuff than I can count, and while I am grateful, I am hesitant. I don't want to deal with explaining to XYZ host why I took the plan from ZYX host instead of theirs. I dont want the community to think I'm in bed with ZYX host because they're hosting us for free (and honestly, half the offers for free hosting are in locations not that ideal for the site). Donations I was open to, but what happens on the months when there are none? Assuming, for example, the site is hosted elsewhere and we were using $200/mo DDoS protection from Cloudflare, where does that money come from?

I'm not wanting to make a living off this, but I'd like to be able to afford a better setup to serve content to the visitors better.

Keep in mind when I started this forum I was working at URPad, and people didn't want to come here because of that thinking it was going to be to promote that. I made good money there, but left after the company sold and wanted me to relocate to Houston, TX. The 30th of May was my last day there, and I have been living off of savings since then. On a personal note, my savings wasn't that big. My lease is almost up and I will be moving out of this house into a cheaper apartment downtown. I just started a part time temporary job yesterday working for another company and that will be a 4-6 week job. What is left over at the end of the month after upgrading things it will be split between myself and Don. Martin says he doesn't want any, but I was going to split the leftovers with those who keep this place running. (Unlike LET/WHT).

I'm trying to keep things honest and trying to keep things good. I can accept free stuff and deal with speculation and the possibility that the site may be up/down due to moving around often if donations are insufficient month to month or I can sell ad-space, do so honestly, get a much better setup so this place can remain stable, fast, and grow and get compensated very poorly with what is left over for the amount of time and effort I put into here dealing with stuff.
I think this is the proper way of doing it. I think 90% of the providers and users here are willing to donate something or purchase ad space. Just keep it affordable for everyone even the smaller providers. I know I'm willing to help out as much as I can without any request for special treatment or anything like that. I just want to see this community get bigger and better. Bottom line is you're doing a great job along with everyone else that is helping run this community. Don't let the negative comments make you change anything at all.

amuck-landowner