amuck-landowner

vpsBoard contest (1/3) Win a free CatalystHost VPS for a year!

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
How am I winning? AFAIK, the only place I've posted my referral link is on LET, where I've stopped posting and none of my topics are anywhere near the front page. Yet for some reason every day, sometimes twice, I'm notified I have a new referral. And under the referral tab in my settings page, it seems to indicate I've invited a bunch of people. Are those people who have used my referral link but not signed up?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriesN

Verified Provider
I will get blamed for self promoting but since Jarland is giving away price to the first place winner, I won't mind throwing in 2 month free for 1 or 2 runner up. Admins, can I have your permission?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Actually, the system is a little wonky. The people at the top of the list shown on the front page I believe is there due to the members that signed up manually typing in their name.

This is the fun part. I'm going to have to go through about 50 pages of referral logs to cross reference existing members to the IP that they referred (since it's not showing the username), seeing if a username exists for that IP, then manually adding it. It's going to be a PITA so don't expect referral based contests again in the future, haha.

Rest assured though, everyone will be accounted for. I did think about changing it to make it much easier on me by just sorting the list by who referred the most traffic this way, as it does show that properly in the backend. That'd be much easier, but that's not what the original rules were so I'll do this manually.

I'm not sure what broke the system, may of been the move to lighttpd, not quite sure. Either way though, the members you referred, although it may not show their username in the backend, does show their IP. So I can figure it all out by that.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I'm confused now. On the home page I see myself at the top of the list of "Top 5 Referrers". When I go in My Settings > Referrals > Manage Friends, I see a bunch of listings that say "no name" under "Member name", but among those are 5 who do have a name. I assume that the "no name" ones have come here through my referral link but have not signed up, while the ones who are named signed up with my referral link. However, of those five, only one has made five posts. So do these count? If not, what am I doing at the top of the home page list? And how can I see who is winning?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I see a bunch of listings that say "no name" under "Member name", but among those are 5 who do have a name. I assume that the "no name" ones have come here through my referral link but have not signed up, while the ones who are named signed up with my referral link. However, of those five, only one has made five posts. So do these count? If not, what am I doing at the top of the home page list? And how can I see who is winning?
It's not just you, it's everyone. I'll have to cross reference all the 'no name' IP's to member IPs so everyone is accounted for. I've got 50+ pages of referral logs to process to do this. I believe the top listing is a result of members who physically typed your name in the box.

It's sort of a mess, I'll admit that. It wasn't supposed to work out this way but I'm thinking the switch to lighttpd may have broken the system a bit. Every IP anyone has ever referred here is in the log and is intact, and all I've got to do is search the member DB for that IP and tally the results manually. =/

walesmd

Another heads-up, although not a serious problem: when I registered I chose the Twitter option which then follows on to asking for display name, email address and email address confirmation. I don't recall seeing a field requesting referrer (although I'm sure it's available in my profile somewhere). That field, when registering in this manner, is not as prominent or "pushed" as this topic suggests.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Huh well, I guess that is something we possibly might have overlooked.  Thanks for letting us know @walesmd!  I'll send this up the chain and hopefully we'll get this solved soon!

Hey guys and gals!  We only have three and a quarter-ish more days left on this shenanigan!  

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
So does the contest end on Thursday the 30th, or Friday the 31st? Looks like the date and the day are a bit mixed up :)

amuck-landowner