vpsBoard's Future

Discussion in 'Announcements & Contests' started by Jonathan, May 4, 2017.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Woohoo Administrator Verified Provider

May 27, 2013
    jonspw
    I had an account from '02 that I was never able to re-gain access to after losing an old ISP-based email account when that ISP account got cancelled years ago so now I'm a newb on my circa 2006 account.

2. QuadraNet_Adam

QuadraNet_Adam Active Member Verified Provider

Jul 17, 2014
    Crickets... this board needs more activity for sure

River likes this.
  3. lowesthost

lowesthost Member Verified Provider

Mar 1, 2014
    Indeed has not been the same since MannDude gave it up :(

4. River

River Member Verified Provider

May 3, 2015
    WHT banned me for making a second account after forgetting about/losing access to a long lost account. Now they won't respond to my helpdesk emails. I hate WHT, I really hope that this site can grow.

5. HBAndrei

HBAndrei Active Member Verified Provider

May 1, 2014
    They're usually keen on helping out people regain access to lost accounts...

6. River

May 3, 2015
    I've emailed twice, usually just get an accusation of lying, or no reply at all. I've been completely truthful and and more than pleasant.

7. Aldryic C'boas

Aldryic C'boas The Pony

Apr 18, 2013
    Aldryic
    A little late to the party... but this is a welcome surprise.

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Cocktail Enthusiast Moderator Verified Provider

Apr 2, 2013
    Welcome back Aldryic!

Aldryic C'boas likes this.
  9. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    VPS board naturally lost some momentum from being down for a while, but I like it being a low volume but high quality forum.

The problem is that there seem to be a lot of slightly spammy threads: a new member asks for recommendations, or recommends a particular host, followed by other recommendations, comments and likes from other new members. It is hard to tell who is genuine and who is spamming without looking at their message histories.

There are also a lot of short and useless comments from new members.

10. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Welcome back man.

Aldryic C'boas likes this.
  11. Aldryic C'boas

Aldryic C'boas The Pony

Apr 18, 2013
    Aldryic
    Thanks Mr Dude!

12. River

May 3, 2015
    Seems like the site is really dying, which is sad :(

Are you guys doing anything to drive new traffic? @Jonathan

I know running a forum can be as time consuming as a full time job, and running a company on top is a huge responsibility as well. It's just sad to see the lack of traffic here lately - I'd love to see this get back up to the community that it used to be.

13. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    @River the community could have supported someone putting the hours in, but its dead and the community has not come back. It used to be my most read forum, but I only came back to reply to this after weeks because of the email notification.

I assume the current owners take the view that they are better off getting the ads and ad income (the site still has a decent showing in Google) and letting it decline than putting in the time to keep it going.

14. Jonathan

May 27, 2013
    jonspw
    That was/is the goal, but yeah we've been pretty busy with KH duties lately. We've not forgotten vpsB though.

15. River

May 3, 2015
    Same here. When it got shut down it was sad, the activity has really, really died. It's sad if that would be the case and neglecting the site like that, I'm sure there were lots of people who would have volunteered to keep things growing. The KH people seem better than that.

16. graeme

graeme Active Member

Nov 20, 2013
    From their reputation, I am sure they are - at their core business. Not everyone who is good at running a VPS is good at running a community.

There were also two misjudgements, first by @MannDude, then my KH. Firstly he closed the forums for a while, and then looked for a buyer. While it was closed, it lost a lot of users. Then, KH, from the above message, were too busy to really take it on and sort it out, so the decline continued. IMO it is now walking dead. As I said, I personally only come back when I get an email of notification on a watched thread.

17. Jonathan

May 27, 2013
    jonspw
    @MannDude wasn't seeking a buyer. We reached out to him.

18. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Jonathan's right.

The site was basically dead and I didn't want to keep paying for a small fleet of servers and didn't really have the time to consolidate everything. I 'closed it' to archive it, but the major plan was just to scrape the site and serve a HTML only version on some cheap shared hosting somewhere so that the content that was already here still existed, as there is some great content and tutorials that were created from the good ol' days.

He came to me, offered to take it over and re-open it and be responsible for it's day to day. There wasn't any negotiation, really. It was more of a, "Well, would you be interested in relinquishing control of the site?" ... "Yeah, IDK... Maybe to the right person." ... "Well, what would it take?" ... "Hmm, not sure. This, I guess." ... "Deal" ... "Sounds good to me." was basically how it went down. I mean, the conversation was more detailed than that but that's the overall gist. I've known and talked to Jonathan for a while before it all went down so it's not like it was just some random person approaching me about it.