amuck-landowner

Website and Forum on Linux VPS

XiNiX

Verified Provider
Sorry, I thought maybe someone has some experience regarding forum software.

I'll just try another forum software since the VB License was my roommates anyway.

Well,

Firstly I advise you to take a backup of the server before you start any experiments/setups. You never know when things might go wrong.

Secondly, You can install VestaCP to manage your VPS. This will eaisily ad your domain manage DNS , Files etc. Plus it includes an excellent firewall for security.

Thirdly, for forum, you can try : MyBB ,  PHPBB or Vanilla as FREE Options. If you wanna go for a commercial product, i would advise you to go for XenForo.

Regards,

Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:
iirc Discourse is very javascript heavy.  This is still true right?  I remember when for a long time their "Anti Spam" process was "We use Javascript.  Bots can't read javascript.  #winning".  Besides that they don't really have any good anti-spam system in place.  
I suppose so, in terms of javscript. As for their Anti-Spam process, I saw [1] they now support Akismet through a plugin, not sure about other measures they have in place. I just run two very small boards, so I am yet to have issues with spam :)

I like using Discourse, it makes for a nice user experience, IMO. What I dislike is that it requires quite some resources and it also takes a while to rebuild the forum during an update. As I said, I just run two small boards, so I haven't really had much problems with spam/moderation/etc. So far so good, and the users seem to like it as well.

[1] https://meta.discourse.org/t/isp-based-anti-spam-countermeasures/20082/12

FliP

I installed a Vanilla Forum since it was very easy to install.

Forum is up and running properly. The next problem I am facing is on my homepage and I guess I'll just mention it since I'm typing this post anyway.

It is nothing VPS related, it's about HTML.

Here is a picture that shows what I have currently: Link

As shown in link, I have a border image (transparent) and a embedded video. What I want to do is to place the video inside the image (in the transparent area) or overlay the image over the video.

There are some posts on the internet that show how to do it, but with the image dissapearing while the video plays. I need the image to stay.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I installed a Vanilla Forum since it was very easy to install.

Forum is up and running properly. The next problem I am facing is on my homepage and I guess I'll just mention it since I'm typing this post anyway.

It is nothing VPS related, it's about HTML.

Here is a picture that shows what I have currently: Link

As shown in link, I have a border image (transparent) and a embedded video. What I want to do is to place the video inside the image (in the transparent area) or overlay the image over the video.

There are some posts on the internet that show how to do it, but with the image dissapearing while the video plays. I need the image to stay.

It's been a while since I was doing my web design phase.  

A long time ago, you can either work by floating the video into/inside the frame (not very good when you're resizing the browser though, as the datum is the top left corner for most floats) or splice the image up and put the youtube image in a table where each part of the table is a piece of the frame (e.g. maybe a 3x3 table with the first and last column being one giant cell, put the video in the middle cell (2,2) and put each image on each side).  As far as I can tell I don't know what you mean the "image disappearing" since I don't think it really should do that.  

souen

Not sure if I understood your question, you want to visually put a border around the video? In that case, how about using CSS to assign the video's background to the border image? Something like the second example here: http://dereksemmler.com/2008/07/25/how-to-frame-your-images/ (replace img.imgPop with embed.anotherclassname or iframe.anotherclassname depending on the first tag in the video embed code, adjust the padding to fit)

If, for some reason, you need the border image over the video (as opposed to just visible in the background), try wrapping video and image in div tags, setting the image to float left and give it a z-index of 1. z-index assigns a stack order to elements (higher number puts an element on a higher layer over other elements).

amuck-landowner