amuck-landowner

What is size of your Monitor?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
4 monitors MartinD??!?!

How do you orient yours and keep them actually used?   Finding with 2 big monitors lots of wasted time viewing one monitor and other is ignored. 

Eric1212

Verified Provider
2 x 24" LG E2442TC secondary displays 

1 x 27" iMac for main work  2560x1440

1 x 24" BenQ GL245 for Apple TV content 

13" MacBook Pro Glossy 

Maybe I have an addiction  :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
4 monitors MartinD??!?!

How do you orient yours and keep them actually used? Finding with 2 big monitors lots of wasted time viewing one monitor and other is ignored.
Just a 2x2 stack on the wall. In fairness, I've only got 3 running at the moment while I rejig things here but yeah. Also debating the 5th LG LED to use for TV or something.

wdq

Quade
Relating to working with four monitors I didn't share my monitors that I use at work in my first post, so here they are: 

2x 19" HP monitors at 1440x900

1x Hanns-G 22" at 1920x1080

1x Gateway 22" at 1920x1080

I typically have one of the larger ones being used for research/looking things up on the Internet while the other larger monitor is used for writing code. The two smaller monitors change depending on what I'm working on. Sometimes one may have a working copy of the app running, the other monitor may have a database GUI open, or SSH connections, or FTP running to work with various things.

I am able to orient myself so that I can see two or three monitors at any given time. Having each monitor for something specific allows me to easily switch between them like a lot of people switch between windows, I just don't have to deal with as much of that minimizing, maximizing, and adjusting of Windows. 

At home on a Mac I use something called Mission Control which I find very interesting. I mapped one of the mouse buttons that usually will go back/forward in a web browser so that it will launch Mission Control. Once I'm in Mission Control I can switch between different desktops, each having different windows open. I can then have several monitors like I did before, but I can also have different desktops for different things. If I'm working on multiple projects at any given time I can create a desktop for each project. I find Mission Control incredibly useful. Gnome has something very similar to Mission Control that I use when I'm using my Linux laptop. 

Slownode

1 - 24" 1920x1200 60Hz 3ms TN+ LCD

1 - 19" 1280x1024 60Hz 6ms IPS LCD

1 - 19" 1600x1200 75Hz flat CRT

It's funny how the CRT has superior colour and contrast, was cheaper, and is much older... although it's a bit out of focus, need to tune it.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Before I moved to college, I had 2x 20" 1600x900 monitors. Not a bad setup. They were attached to my desktop, which I didn't bring. Instead I have a laptop with me with your standard, underwhelming 1366x768 display (14" instead of the usual 15.6"). :( The color is lousy, the viewing angles worse. Multitasking is harder. I dislike it. The only reason I got a laptop with such a poor display is that it has a 3rd gen i7 processor with 8GB of memory, which I like. I'm starting to wish I had brought one of my HPs. Good, solid displays those.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
1 - 24" 1920x1200 60Hz 3ms TN+ LCD

1 - 19" 1280x1024 60Hz 6ms IPS LCD

1 - 19" 1600x1200 75Hz flat CRT

It's funny how the CRT has superior colour and contrast, was cheaper, and is much older... although it's a bit out of focus, need to tune it.
Don't forget heavy as fudge too. Hated my old CRT Monitors.

Because my desktop is nowhere to be found (Thanks moving company!) I'm still stuck on my netbook.

But wait! We're talking about screens here! Lets talk about screens!

11.6 inches of genuine Acer Netbook Goodness! Golly Gee! With 1366 x 768 HD LED LCD! Premium! Wow!

Yeah... Been living off of this for two months. I really need my desktop...

PhaseNetworks

3 x 27" Asus VE278

Seems to work well, one for browsing, one for emails, and another I usually play TV on.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
3 x 27" Asus VE278

, and another I usually play TV on.
Been waiting for someone to bring TV/video into the monitor mix.

Anyone doing picture in picture or similar TV viewing :)   I don't need full big res 1920x1080 viewing for TV, usually.  

Interested in anyone piping content, especially broadcast into computer or directly to monitor in PiP type arrangement while still leveraging the monitor at same time for desktop space.

Nick

Had a 24" with my PC but I disbanded that a couple of months ago. No idea about my laptop.

:popcorn:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I've got 4 as of now. Three 27" 2560x1440 screens and a 24" 1920x1080 screen

I got 2 x 24"'s but I've been thinking about getting a 3rd. It'd be really nice having 2 screens just for coding and a 3rd for IRC and all the other random crap I have open.

Francisco

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
27" top monitor (ultra widescreen) and 15" laptop screen. Too stingey for another :p

shovenose

Verified Provider
Three brand new Samsung 23" LED LCD monitors running at 1920x1080.

For the fact that they're only 1920x1080 and they aren't IPS, they're damn good.

One developed a green stuck pixel though, and they aren't VESA-mount capable :(

amuck-landowner