amuck-landowner

What tools are available to monitor for abuse?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Seems like service abuse is a reality of any segment of the industry. Doesn't matter if it's a $7/mo 'low end' VPS or a high dollar VPS, companies always experience customers who either outright abuse the service or have outgrown what a standard VPS can realistically offer them.

What are you guys using to monitor your nodes to detect abuse before your other paying customers notice the impact? What options are even available in cases like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
NodeWatch, NodePing, a bunch of custom scripts now, and good old hands-on monitoring (keeping an eye on top)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Anyone have good experiences with NodePing? Pros & Cons?
Pros: When it works, it works well.  Alerts are nigh-instant, highly configurable.

Cons: They insist on using a network of low-end machines for the actual monitoring.  I ended up having to have it stop sending me notifications at night - far too many false positives waking me up at 3am.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
The only false positives I get from NodePing are for our cPanel server when somebody decides to start up 200+ PHP processes but I'm sure we could adjust this or stop using HTTP Content monitor but this alert usually lets us know when to suspend an account that's under DOS attack.

If you want to read my review, I typed up a quick one here (I'm about due for a new write up just for NodePing): http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1288449

drserver

Verified Provider
We use Citrix Xenserver as our primary platform so we are forced to use citrix xencenter which is great for abuse monitoring. You can set alarms for CPU, Disk and Network abuse and all comes out of box. Alarms are triggered on every panel that is connected to cluster so support can easy send tickets to warn users.

MikroVPS

Verified Provider
We use Xen, so we need to write our costum script to monitoring resourrce usage, and outgoing SMTP connection.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
VPSMON for node load/cpu/smtp

WANGUARD for null routes, network monitoring, etc.

Kruno

Verified Provider
nfdump(network traffic & nullroutes), Pingdom, Observium and bunch of custom-written scripts. 

VPSbell

Zabbix is great also it has ability to do many things using scripts , you just need to get the hang of using it at the beginning..as it might be little challenging to work with upfront.

GoodHosting

A whole load of custom scripts, (one of which I posted here on this forum for checking memory), nagios + nrpe for basic statistics / uptime and graphing, simultaneously watching the `top` of all your servers.... https://db.tt/6mFp7cei (notice the abuser kvm710 pretty easily in this screenshot. )

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
We have a lot of custom scripts running on top of an open source monitoring system for both performance and things like outbound spam, etc.  Works well for us.

HostGuard

Verified Provider
We wrote our own control panel and it was one of the very things I wanted to automate first.

Monitoring goes hand in hand with a control panel so it only made sense to unify the features. Depending on what resource is being abused, HostGuard automatically suspends the VPS and notifies the client. The various abuse metrics are configured by the Administrator, so you can tweak it to ensure you don't get false positives and depending on how verbose you want it monitoring your services.

ndelaespada

Verified Provider
What's better between vpsmon and nodewatch? I'm currently using nodewatch and it does the job prettly well but I'm wondering if vpsmon would be even better. I just applied for a trial.

Thanks!

amuck-landowner