amuck-landowner

Which nameservers do You use?

ICPH

Hi,

which nameservers do You use in your webserver /etc/resolv.conf file? Or how do you determine which are best ones to place there?

Do you think Its better to add more than 2 nameservers or even three sets of nameservers (6 lines)? like example google ones, opendns ones and one more?

thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger

Verified Provider
Probably your closer ones will perform better. Do ping/traceroute test to see which ones are in close proximity. Your datacenter/ISP should provide you their owns. Or you could go with pubic ones like Googles' and/or OpenDNSs'.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Probably your closer ones will perform better.
Of course, with Google's DNS, they employ anycast, so you automatically get the closest one, which is often no more than 5ms away. But some people don't like them for privacy reasons. For myself, I do tend to use them, if for no other reason than that they have very memorable IPs. A lot of VPSes I have came with them preset. They are very convenient, but I suppose there is reason to be wary for privacy reasons, but I can't be bothered to change them. Pro tip for people/companies seeking world domination: if you want people to use your thing, make it super easy.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
*IF* I use a third-party resolver, I typically stick with Level3.  I won't even use (or recommend) Google's any more - their penchant for data collection is well past the creepy stage, and just because "I'm not doing anything wrong and have nothing to fear" doesn't mean I want some freakshow staring into my living room window all day.

lowesthost

Verified Provider
which nameservers do You use in your webserver /etc/resolv.conf file?
Our own :)

level3's     if not      testing something  real quick maybe Google's

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Level 3 performance has gone downhill lately I've noticed, so we've started using Google or a DC specific resolver.

Dylan

Google's.

I wish small providers would stop using their own nameservers and just pick one of the reliable public sets. I've had a provider's nameservers not resolve something correctly way too many times.

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
8.8.8.8 is great for externally monitoring your internal/client dns for unexpected changes (the folks at Craigslist you would think have something checking that for them before getting hijacked for a day!). 

OpticServers

Verified Provider
I'm using the google name servers, they work just fine for me... never had any problems with them to my knowledge...

amuck-landowner