amuck-landowner

Which OS do you use and why?

saltspork

OS X / Xubuntu / Win7 on desktop. The latter two in VMs.

Debian on servers. Tried CentOS for a while but never felt comfortable with it.

shawn_ky

Windows 7 on Desktops/Laptops, 1 Windows 8 (Perhaps soon formatted), Centos on all servers... Cut my teeth with Suse years ago, grew with Debian and somehow settled with Centos... I show students in my classes Knoppix...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why'd you dump Crunchbang on the laptops? Just curious as I figured the hardware support would be the same as Debian.

Well. most distros just can't figure out how to slim down.  Crunchbang requires a DVD to burn the ISO.     So that kind of kills it for me.  Some of the notebooks I have laying around either have broken disc reader or just CD.  (Yeah, I really need to get a PXE boot setup running on my networks)

Beside that, ummm unsure, the latest version of Crunchbang failed in install process multiple times on one recent rebuild of a machine.  Plopped Debian in and no issue. 

Sorry lack of details there, was a big ugly reinstall and not one of my personal machines.  

I like/prefer a lighterweight GUI, thus Crunchbang still remains interesting.  Gap in time between the Crunchy releases had me disinterested for a while though.

What are you using on your Debian desktops as a DM?
DM = ???

fisle

When I was a kid I used Arch Linux as my OS, being cool with bleeding edge and all.

Now I hate it. I just want a working system that I can update safely without everything breaking down.

Debian love <3

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well. most distros just can't figure out how to slim down.  Crunchbang requires a DVD to burn the ISO.     So that kind of kills it for me.  Some of the notebooks I have laying around either have broken disc reader or just CD.  (Yeah, I really need to get a PXE boot setup running on my networks)

Beside that, ummm unsure, the latest version of Crunchbang failed in install process multiple times on one recent rebuild of a machine.  Plopped Debian in and no issue. 

Sorry lack of details there, was a big ugly reinstall and not one of my personal machines.  

I like/prefer a lighterweight GUI, thus Crunchbang still remains interesting.  Gap in time between the Crunchy releases had me disinterested for a while though.

DM = ???
Desktop Manager? Like OpenBox, XFCE, LXDM, etc. Figure you're using something lightweight.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I use Alpine on both desktop and server.  I have Windows running on a VPS for tasks like IPMI usage.

Ruchirablog

Debian,Ubuntu and CentOS on Servers | Yes I use all 3!

Ubuntu 13.04 on desktop :3

OSX on Macbook Pro of course!

bizzard

Debian Stable on servers.

My Thinkpad runs Debian Sid most of the time. Mint and Arch too, whenever I look for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Desktop Manager?

I hate acronyms :)  Never can remember them.

OpenBox really has my attention, thus the ongoing love/hate with Crunchbang.

Frankly, I am long ago tired of having to hack my computer to adjust everything.   GUI-land has never been friendly place for quick, easy and approachable mucking around --- especially with the graphic adapter, monitor, etc.

So, XFCE is commonly found on my workstations.  Been using it for a while.  

Kicked around Gnome on latest Debian on recent install that wasn't my machine.  Quite nifty with whatever they call the task switcher ALT-TAB and the related screen when you mouse trail off the sides (shows what you have open in that desktop space and nests multiples open in the same program --- like multiple spread sheets). --- Also has interesting searchable software installed function that is peppy even on lowly old hardware.

Problem I have with most popular GUIs is the spyware/user activity tracking built in as a function.  When/if I find it, I cannibalize it or jump ship to something else.  Had been major issue in past year with distros.

kro

Verified Provider
This household runs Ubuntu, and if the missus comes home and her rig or laptop has windows booted up, she goes completely rank.

Every now and then to develop/test VPN software releases I'll fire up a few different windows vm's.
Or _IF_ not enough resources and to many tabs and files open, I'll resort to the missus equipment.(nerd much?)

Never a problem unless i forget to kick the reset switch with my toe when finished ~ Ubuntu is only like 20 seconds to boot, no excuses really.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I used Windows 7 on my primary workstation (HP Mini 210) only because I've had horrible luck getting my Broadcom Crystal HD to work in Linux and I watch a lot of HD movies on it. I do dislike that I had to hack the display drivers to get 1920x1080 resolution but that's one of the reasons I'm slowly moving  my workload over to my Raspberry Pi with RPITC (Raspberry Pi Thin Client). On my VMs that I connect to with my RPi, I run Fedora, Debian, CentOS, Server 2008 R2, and Windows 7 depending on my needs.

For my servers, I use CentOS if it's a physical server and Debian if it's a virtual unless the application is known to run better or require CentOS.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
A couple of different windows versions at home and a ubuntu laptop.

All my active servers (from this community) runs debian.

film_girl

Debian or Ubuntu on servers, OS X everywhere else. My NAS has a custom Linux-based thing on it (not sure what distro Synology based off of it).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

tdc-adm

Desktop/Laptop: Linux Mint with Netbeans, Virtualbox, Chrome, Firefox... for my PHP job.

Servers: Debian/Ubuntu because of Minstall :)

Jeffrey

For desktop use, Windows 8 x64 Pro.  I purchased a Windows 8 license for only $39.99 for a limited time from Microsoft and I haven't looked back since! 

For severs, VPS servers I usually always install CentOS 5x, 6x.  For home server usage, I use CrunchBang Linux as it is based on Debian 7 and comes pre-configured with OpenBox window manager.

Master Bo

Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktops. I used to use Fedora, and still adore that branch, but I needed something that doesn't expire every two years.

CentOS 6.x or Ubuntu servers on my servers.

Kali Linux on my monitoring edges, to test my setups for possible problems.

Windows XP/7 on isolated systems, only when I need to create tutorials and/or run few existing programs that do not behave well under Wine.

I also use several Android-driven devices.

amuck-landowner