amuck-landowner

Which OS do you use and why?

I use Debian and Fedora along with Windows 8 (unfortunately...) and OS X on my laptops because I have way too much time on my hands. I'll admit that I absolutely love my Debian configuration and plan on sticking to it for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

fapvps

Verified Provider
Windows 7 + Gentoo on Desktops/Laptops. Centos and Ubuntu on servers. Windows 7 because it is solid and Gentoo because it has the latest and the greatest stuff in portage. Centos and Ubuntu because they are both solid on the server from my experiance. I like Ubunut LTS a little more than Centos.

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
I mainly use Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop. Been really thinking hard about changing my laptop over to CentOS Desktop. For anything website related, I use CentOS Server. I also have  Windows 2008 R2 Server setup for WDS use.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Windows 7 desktop for all the software my family is using. It is a dual boot system (Ubuntu) but they are only using Windows.

Ubuntu on laptop, thinbox and all servers. I don't want to switch the linux distribution because I know every tool and every location and config file.

wdq

Quade
At home I have Mac OS X on my main computer, and Windows 8 on my gaming computer. I have a few older Windows 7 systems laying around just idling at home as well. I also have a Chromebook that has both Ubuntu and ChromeOS on it. 

At work I use Windows 7 since that's what pretty much everyone uses there. 

On my servers I use primarily Debian, and Ubuntu on my game servers. I occasionally have a CentOS server which I use to test out things with cPanel. 

bellicus

I mainly use Windows 7, and Puppy Linux with the occasional Mint lol. @Voss I've used Arch in the past and loved it.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Servers

1. Debian - I know all the commands that I need to administer a Debian server and a lot of them can be carried between Debian and Ubuntu.
  2. CentOS - It's smooth and has some features/application that I need that I can't run on Debian.
  3. Ubuntu - Same as Debian
  4. Windows Server 2008 - Compatibility with software/stability. Plus this is what my employer uses for most of their servers at the moment. 
  5. Windows Server 2012 - I love the new interface and it works extremely well for everything I need. Plus I have an MSDN subscription and I like to keep up to date with the current software.

Desktop

1. OS X - I just LOVE OS X it's so awesome and it runs so well. Plus all my Adobe applications like Photoshop work like a charm and I never have any issues with them.
  2. Windows XP - Stable as a rock, runs extremely well on Type 2 hypervisors :)

Dan

Ubuntu + Win 7

Ubuntu mainly for web development and battery saving on the road :)

Win 7 .. games that's all.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Desktop: Windows 7 Pro for online courses / gaming / general software.

Servers: Cent-OS instead of Debian because I was given a few free Fedora/Cent-OS books a few years back.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Debian everywhere - VPS, desktop, local servers...

Dumped Mint, Crunchbang, etc.  too many hassles with my hardware (notebooks).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Debian everywhere - VPS, desktop, local servers...

Dumped Mint, Crunchbang, etc.  too many hassles with my hardware (notebooks).
Why'd you dump Crunchbang on the laptops? Just curious as I figured the hardware support would be the same as Debian.

I've got minor complaints about Crunchbang but the performance and stability outweigh everything else. The 'complaints' I have would be considered 'features' to others, and they're not even that big of a deal. It's nice to have to manually edit things here and there, get it working the way you want and what not.

What are you using on your Debian desktops as a DM?

sv01

Slow but sure
Debian for personal :p CentOS because only CentOS/RHEL compatible on cPanel, but personally I prefer Debian.

For desktop I use Fedora 19 :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh, if we're listing server OSes, then yes, Debian as well.

I really have no reason to choose Debian over CentOS/RHEL for servers other than it just being a personal preference and the OS I've got the most experience with.

amuck-landowner