amuck-landowner

WHICH VPS IS BETTER WINDOWS OR LINUX?

hostinghouston

Verified Provider
As may people have already said, it really depends on your needs / requriements.

For example, we have clients how use Windows for Forex trading and other activities like this. We also have some that use Windows for an "office outside the office" with desktop software installed. And, even some who use SAM Broadcaster to run an online radio station wtih professional broadcasting software.

On the Linux side, we have clients who run large VMWave clusters for customized VoIP solutions / VM's. Also, many gameservers and websites we host are hosted on Linux.

Windows does have license costs associated wtih it and tends to be more resoruce hunger, thus rising the overall cost. Linux is free (in general) and less resource hungry and so is very cost effective as well as stable and powerful.

To sum up, you need to figure out what it's going to be used for, then look atthe options available.

leto12

Verified Provider
If you need a quick remote desktop and windows application go windows.

If you want to host something ( website, game, vpn) go linux !

Roger

Verified Provider
Most of the time, Linux OS requires less hardware resources to perform similar tasks on Windows OS.

On the oder side, most Linux distributions are open source, and no commercial licenses are involved if you don't want commercial support. Windows Server licenses are always required and are quite expensive to fit in the economical VPS hosting model.

You should also consider that if you are a .Net or Microsoft developer, Windows may be your best option to develop/test/launch your apps.

adilimran

As may people have already said, it really depends on your needs / requriements.

For example, we have clients how use Windows for Forex trading and other activities like this. We also have some that use Windows for an "office outside the office" with desktop software installed. And, even some who use SAM Broadcaster to run an online radio station wtih professional broadcasting software.

On the Linux side, we have clients who run large VMWave clusters for customized VoIP solutions / VM's. Also, many gameservers and websites we host are hosted on Linux.

Windows does have license costs associated wtih it and tends to be more resoruce hunger, thus rising the overall cost. Linux is free (in general) and less resource hungry and so is very cost effective as well as stable and powerful.

To sum up, you need to figure out what it's going to be used for, then look atthe options available.
That is good review, now i can tell my clients what is best and why it is..

Thanks for the answering..

adilimran

Most of the time, Linux OS requires less hardware resources to perform similar tasks on Windows OS.

On the oder side, most Linux distributions are open source, and no commercial licenses are involved if you don't want commercial support. Windows Server licenses are always required and are quite expensive to fit in the economical VPS hosting model.

You should also consider that if you are a .Net or Microsoft developer, Windows may be your best option to develop/test/launch your apps.

Thanks for you suggestion..

S4S-UK

Its depend on you what you want to do with that vps

in cheap linux is best for you, easy to use windows, other then that there no any big differences?

jarland

The ocean is digital
I may need to work on my execution a bit, or my reputation as someone who often jokes with a straight face ;)

jarland

The ocean is digital
This is not a joke dude you need to focus on what we are talking about..

These comments are important for me..
Relax Nancy. You received the best possible answers already. You did not provide enough information. Without context the answer is relative and impossible to provide. If you can't help your client choose between linux or windows, you should be providing neither.

cloudlix

If you need to run some *.exe it`s better Windows. But for website hosting I will prefer Linux hosting. 

So it`s depends what do you need from VPS

According to me, it depends upon kind of application you wish to run. If you are using Microsoft technologies then, Windows VPS would be good to consider. If you are using open source script like PHP, MySQL, HTML then Linux is most recommended.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Two entirely different operating systems for different purposes. You'll know whether you should be using Linux or Windows on your VPS depending on what you're using it for and what applications/services it needs to run, as well as your budget of course.

amuck-landowner