amuck-landowner

Who prints VPS welcome e-mails?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Default WHMCS VPS welcome e-mails (and maybe HostBill too, IDK) tell you to read the e-mail in full and print it for your records. Does anyone actually do this? And do any providers modify those? I thought we were living in a post-paper world, why this printing business? And who actually reads past the IP address and root password?

Sorry, just somewhat of a rant after reading this for the 3rd time this week.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Default WHMCS VPS welcome e-mails (and maybe HostBill too, IDK) tell you to read the e-mail in full and print it for your records. Does anyone actually do this? And do any providers modify those? I thought we were living in a post-paper world, why this printing business? And who actually reads past the IP address and root password?

Just another form of backup in case if you lose/delete that email :). No biggy

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

I think it's important to re-write all stock email templates. Add information that is relevant to your company, like a link to a wiki or the process of obtaining support, etc. I'll admit though, I had some issues originally setting up my BuyVM KVM because I didn't read past the root details and skipped the wiki link on how to get setup properly. D'oh!

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
I don't print emails, nor do I really have a need to. As soon as I'm logged in as root, I'm enabling pubkey-only authentication and setting up sudo.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I have a label for them in my gmail. I think I'm going to start parsing my e-mail for them and dropping them in evernote as well, as I'm already doing that with receipts. As we grow our business I am seeing more and more value in proper organization for even personal items.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't print things ever.

I do however write down key details in a hardbound notebook where account details live and that resides in my library, when I am not actively working on things.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I think it's important to re-write all stock email templates. [...]
 I'll admit though, I had some issues originally setting up my BuyVM KVM because I didn't read past the root details and skipped the wiki link on how to get setup properly.
Definitely agree that hosts should change stock e-mail templates. Even something as small as that gives you a "stand out' factor. With the KVM thing, KVM is a different story, so those e-mails are worth reading. But still not worth printing.

I have a label for them in my gmail.
Me too. A lot less space that a stack of papers, and more easily searchable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naruto

I print every web page I browse and put it into a large book. Each day I have a history for me to look back upon for when I'm older.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
I print every web page I browse and put it into a large book. Each day I have a history for me to look back upon for when I'm older.
You know, sauske wants to be the next hokage. You better get ready ;)

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
I generally just keep everything organized in my e-mail. As far as receipts and invoices and what not goes. Since a majority of my business is online receipts. It makes sense I can just reference them when I need to. My tax advisor hates me though because she wants me to have printed records of everything. I do good to get it in my tax software. 

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
You think reading this will make you nostalgic, but you will actually feel shame

A Jump From Let

When I was new to welcome emails years ago, I stopped a little at "THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ AND PRINT BLA BLA", then thought of writing the login credentials on a paper but never did that even,  instead opened a text file and copy pasted the important part of the email in it, and so I have two copies of it this way. But never even thought of printing it.

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
Not only do I print them, I fax them to my bank to be put in my safe box.

JK / We dont send any details over email, not even IPs etc

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
I LOLed at faxing. Seriously, though, why don't you send any of that along? And how does the user get the password? Set in SolusVM? Client area?
Magic?  Right?  Isn't that how most of this stuff works anyways lol...

On topic though, yes our emails say the same and no I do not print them.  That, in my eyes, is like writing a password down.

amuck-landowner