amuck-landowner

Who was your first VPS provider?

Issuenticos

Vast majority of hosting providers are in fact resellers. A reseller is just a middleman between you and the real hosting company. Since resellers depend on the company whose plans they resell, they very often don't have neither freedom nor responsibility for dealing with your problems.

earl

My very first vps was with x10hosting. They used lxadmin hypervm as their panel. I dont think solusvm was created yet.

I remember fsckvps was probably the most popular host at the time, until that unfortunate incident with the hack.

Nice to see that vpsboard is back!! Pleasant surprise for sure.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I honestly can't remember. I started out with Rackshack dedicated about 15+ years ago, I don't think I really started using VPS rather than dedicated until many years later.

MrPsycho

Some time ago I made a bad decision and went with nanobit.pro. They disappered few months later as many other summer host. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
...But I enjoyed their WHMCS and SolusVM design.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Some time ago I made a bad decision and went with nanobit.pro. They disappered few months later as many other summer host. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
...But I enjoyed their WHMCS and SolusVM design.

I tend not to trust hosts without .com domains...or at least .net.

MrPsycho

I tend not to trust hosts without .com domains...or at least .net.

Well... $hit happens and this thread is ideal for such stories, but as time passes I moved on to another providers. So far I'm happy with them. Especially with one that I have over 1 year uptime. Maybe someday, when I'll be "old" enough here I'll post a review ;)

... and if someone is bored enough, here is my story with nanobit.pro copied from TrustPilot:
Hello.

I will try to explain as good as I can my long story with Nanobit...
I have bought their VPS at 23/06/2015. One month later I decided to try their "Web Free Package". After one and half month I cancelled it. My entire story with them took me 8 long months... With 7 horribly problems! My first month with them was fine. Everything was working perfectly. I decided to stay with them and pay for the next month. And you know what? They removed my payment option... I was forced to use PayPal. I didn't have time to transfer my money from my banking account to PayPal. Everybody who use Paypal know that it might took even more than three days. I was forced to rapidly open a prepaid card, that I could connect to my PayPal account, because PayPal don't accept card from my bank (long stroy). Second surprise? They don't have automated payment system... After waiting 21 hours to register my payment I decided to open new ticket, since next day my service might be suspended. They manually marked my invoice as payed. Next month they decided to move my VPS from Germany to France... And you know what's the best part of it? They didn't informed me about this! Thay have migrated my server next day after my payment for next month... At 1:00 AM... They send me an e-mail at 2:15 AM, with apologies. They even f***ed migration... They assigned bad IP for me. I couldn't connect to my VPS even via SSH. Amazing, huh? The next problem was with their FTP configuration for my website... They broke their TLS... They told me to use "insecure protocol" and that they will fix it in max 2 days. Even one week after it wasn't properly configurated. Next they have changed a WHMCS page and removed SolusVM login info without any information. Via next ticket they told me that they are removing SoulusVM and I can use WHMCS as a my VPS panel. Someday I decided to reboot my server... It wasn't easy... My VPS was running on like 3% of CPU. It took 8 minutes to boot. I couldn't even use SSH correclty... One second per letter. There wan't only problem with slow CPU. I couldn't even run "apt-get update" without connection errors. I have recorded it, so if you are curious, PM me. I'll send you a proof.

The thing that finally pushed me away from them? They suspended my service even after making payment. Chronological story? Here you go: They have added a "Polish Bank transfer" option, that was handled by homepay.pl... And they again f**** up. They had problems with registering my payment. I suspect that they didn't even checked did I pay... They just suspended my service. After three days they unsuspended my service... But that wasn't end. I knew that my server was badly configurated and if it will be rebooted it won't boot. If they wouldn't suspend my service, I might have chance to fix my config. So far I'm fighting with them 20 days to send me my files. They don't replay to my tickets. They're playing with me in hide-and-seek... After second reminder "Guys, are you again kidding me?" they cynically answered me "We are not kidding anyone as for now".

Uh... I forgot. They f**** up another thing. They call it "fast track". It cost 5GBP per ticket and makes your ticket get the highest priority... The funny thing is that I could manually set it to "True" while making new ticket...

... and they f*** up another thing before posting this. Their website isn't accessable for more than half month. Ther MAIN website! Unbelievable!

coreyman

Verified Provider
My first vps provider was burstnet. I had so many issues with the host node going down etc that I decided to start my own company because I knew I could offer better service.

tmwc

To be honest, I do not remember. The first I remember getting (2016) was Hostigation/FreeVPS.us. It was a great VPS to be honest, I put ZNC and a few sites on it without a sweat. Then I just went on full idle and let the VPS expire.

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
I had my first shell account in 2002, but my first VPS was old pre-BuyVM Frantech back in 2007.

HostOjo

My VPS provider was RockHoster , yeah I entered this business a bit late but they are still active and I am still using them.

amuck-landowner